↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Geneva
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
mikelike

The Evoque convertable and that DC100 look the same size and aimed at the same market . Where is the work variants , cab chassis , double cab etc ????? Hav nt Land Rover got enough poser products already , ??
Post #129978 9th Mar 2012 9:04am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
just one little comment about the jeep.

those wheel arch extensions must have taken some time to perfect at the design stage.....

Rolling with laughter
Post #129988 9th Mar 2012 9:53am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Had a little chat with someone who is more in the know than I and it does indeed seem that the DC100 has been signed off for production as-is. As a Defender replacement? I sure hope not. Maybe it was all a marketing ploy to sell more "proper" Defenders. Personally I feel as if a close friend or relative has just been given six months to live. A sad, sad day. Although I can see that this thing will sell pretty well in the beginning, long term I feel it will damage the brand.
Post #130008 9th Mar 2012 11:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Setok

Finland 
22900013A wrote:
Although I can see that this thing will sell pretty well in the beginning, long term I feel it will damage the brand.

Indeed. Picture Porsche without the 911 or Jeep without the Wrangler. Those are things that lend the brands credibility and create a halo on their other products. Soon Land Rover will be without their most iconic product.
Post #130325 10th Mar 2012 4:37pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Setok wrote:
22900013A wrote:
Although I can see that this thing will sell pretty well in the beginning, long term I feel it will damage the brand.

Indeed. Picture Porsche without the 911 or Jeep without the Wrangler. Those are things that lend the brands credibility and create a halo on their other products. Soon Land Rover will be without their most iconic product.

Been thinking about it a bit (you get lots of opportunity to think when lorry driving) and I reckon the problem is that the designers probably didn't grow up with Defenders (or their predecessors I should say) in any context. They probably grew up in towns and never saw them about. They just don't get "it". The Defender is more than the sum of its parts. The repetition of capability is fine, but the FFRR, RRS and Disco are just as capable, but they aren't Defenders and never will be. Its also more than just the styling (although I think that is fundamentally important). They should have gone for evolution over revolution as they have for 60+ years. And the money they "invested" in the DC100 could have been spent improving the production line...oh well, it was good while it lasted. I am sure many of us will head up to Solihull to see the last real Defender being built eh?
Post #130473 11th Mar 2012 11:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123