↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Events > Mid Wales Laning trip 'the pictures'
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Well we had a great weekend. Spent 4 hours cleaning the 110 Rolling Eyes it was minging and the weather was amazing for Febuary!

We left around 1.30 and took the scenic route up the Heads of the Valleys road and along to Tolgarth. Amazing scenery which really set up the weekend.

Got striaght in the Bar for the rugby Big Cry then a few more beers and up for a wash and change and dinner with plenty of banter. A few more drinks then off to bed.

Sunday morning started a great breakfast and a fuel stop. I was in the Grey group and was also a little worried due to my newly cleaned 2500 mile old 110 was going off piste ALL day.

The guys did a great good of making sure the routes selected were NON scrathy, NON muddy and panoramic.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Mrs F head a great day as gate girl and was amazed that the vehicle was able to travel over that sort of terrain all day then blast back down the motorway at 80 mph Thumbs Up

So if you have a defender or D3/4 etc that you'd like to USE but not bash up then i would recommend it.
Post #127186 27th Feb 2012 7:30pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Looks like you had an excellent day, great pictures Thumbs Up

Because the weather was so good I had to stay at home and mow the lawns Big Cry , we were in danger of not being able to spot the giraffe Rolling with laughter

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #127197 27th Feb 2012 8:01pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
T1G UP wrote:
3 different shades of Grey at that! Bonatti, Stornaway and Orkney Thumbs Up Great weekend

Marcus - you need to get out more Rolling with laughter
Post #127212 27th Feb 2012 8:23pm
T1G UP

bpman wrote:
T1G UP wrote:
3 different shades of Grey at that! Bonatti, Stornaway and Orkney Thumbs Up Great weekend

Marcus - you need to get out more Rolling with laughter
you'd think they all look the same but the Bonatti almost looks green in the sun Whistle
Post #127214 27th Feb 2012 8:25pm
Mountain_man

Wales 
A great weekend all round. It was always a worry to me and James, ably assisted by TJ and Anthony, attempting to lay on a non-damaging laning trip which also introduced a social element where people could get to know one another in a relaxed atmosphere. Many factors go through your mind when planning such a trip...

will the group dynamics work?
will the lanes be hard enough for people to feel they have actually done something challenging enough, while testing their Land Rovers abilities, and, conversely, will the lanes be easy enough to offer people the chance to do something WITHOUT ever feeling they are getting outside of their comfort zone or running the risk of damaging their trucks?
will the hotel accommodation and food be up to expectations?
will the weather hold?

..... So many variables, many of which are outside of the control of anyone who takes it upon themselves to organise something for others. The fact that people are shelling out some of their hard earned in order to have an enjoyable experience just added to the pre-event worry that things might not run as hoped.

We needn't of worried. Very Happy

We arrived in the hotel at about 6 and got in a quick swim and sauna before meeting up with everyone in the bar. I am hopeless with names so was stuck with using forum names to remember who was who. I make no apologies for not naming names in this write up as I fear I would get everyone mixed up and end up embarrassing myself, and not for the first time either Shocked Shocked . Following introductions and a swift drink we all went off for a group meal together. The hotel treated us well and the food laid on, as on the pre-tour recce, was top class. Having our own exclusive dining room and one big table for 18 initially felt a bit strange but by the time a few bevvies had been consumed and people began to exchange stories and banter, followed by much laughter and merriment, it was clear that Hotel had made a good move. Such behaviour in the public restaurant would not have been possible. Breakfast next morning was also a feast and the hotel had reserved us tables together which was a nice touch.

So check out, into the car park and a brief prep talk and we split into 2 groups to do 2 different routes (effectively a similar route done in 2 directions). What we didn't want was for the groups to end up on the same lane at the same time. The sun was shining and the sky was blue. WOW, this was Wales in February. A weight was lifting slowly... Tim and Anthony left with the Grey group (see pics above) and headed over to start the day with Strata Florida, while James and I led our group to Rhayader to take the mountain road over to the top of the Elan Valley. There is one tricky bit on this lane and I had awoken early wondering if it would prove problematic. I need not have worried. All the 110s surmounted the rock step with no drama at all while the two 90s in the group had to have a couple of goes due to the unfortunate distance between the steps being identical to their wheel base! With this obstacle out of the way and grins from everyone we headed up to the top of the mountain to be rewarded with fantastic far reaching views across the Cambrian Mountains as far as the eye could see.

The morning continued in a similar vein with some beautiful lanes taking us gradually NW towards the Nant y Moch area, where we stopped for lunch on the edge of a huge drop into a deep valley with views out to the Irish Sea. By this point everyone was out and chatting and the the banter was only breifly disturbed when a freak gust swept through our idyllic picnic Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Suitably refreshed we looped back south passing many signs of a bygon age of lead and tin mining followed by a short transit section to the start of the final lane of the day, which for us was to be the famous Strata Florida. This is a beautiful drive through a very remote and unforgiving landscape, on a very rocky surface that demands respect, as do the many river crossings. These should only be attempted if the water levels are low as they can prove very dangerous after heavy rain and have claimed more than one vehicle and, not so long ago, the life of a young woman. Fortunately there has been very little rain in Wales this winter and levels were as low as I have seen on many summer trips. The lane was passed with no dramas and it was a very happy group who reached the tarmac at the southern end, having completed something that many of the group admitted that they had never thought they would have had the confidence to do before the weekend started. Even the 50 minute drive back to Llandindod was thoroughly enjoyable with beautiful scenery and stunning roads. Back in the hotel bar, the remains of our party met some of the other group who had not yet departed for a post trip drink and a chat, and everyone agreed it had been a great experience, many vowing to come again if another trip was planned.

I want take this opportunity to thank everyone who came along for making the whole trip a great success and for the many great memories I now have. Thanks also to James for all his part in the organisation and Tim and Anthony for leading the other group.

And in reply to Pom, we did not once drive off road. All the tracks used are unsurfaced public highways. Sadly this is not true for many people and the damage seen on Strata Florida, which gets worse every time I drive it, is testament to those who do drive off-road. It is a sad fact that the actions of these mindless individuals (there were fresh tracks even yesterday) will ultimately result in the closure of all these great unsurfaced tracks for all of us.

Remember folks. Tread lightly.

Further trips are being planned as I type. Hope to see you then

Mark (AKA Mountain Man, AKA Pikey, AKA Orgasmic Farmer, AKA Mr Farmer, etc etc Laughing Laughing Laughing )
Post #127221 27th Feb 2012 8:37pm
Lishlandy

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
A great summise to an even better weekend. Nice one Mark Thumbs Up.

I had a great time, arguably more importantly My missus had a great time and I think most importantly of all we had fun responsibly. I have no hesitation in vebally committing to another trip, even if I have to drive to Scotland ( wink wink, nudge nudge). This trip allowed those of us who have limited knowledge of both vehicle and responsible laning the chane to expand our knowledge base safely which would most likely not be the case in other circumstances.

Had a great CB chat with Party Monkey on the way home too, putting the forum to rights And generally keeping company as our respective passengers caught up on sleep. Rolling with laughter

Big thank you to James, Tim, Mark and Anthony for making it all possible. ===================================
Steve
90 xs sw in Stonoway Grey - Sold
110 USW X-TECH
Post #127289 27th Feb 2012 11:27pm
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Lish..... you forgot the synchronised KFC break at the Hopwood Park services on the M42 Thumbs Up

MM .... excellent write up... thankyou Bow down . Can't recall if I said it at the time but please keep me in mind for another trip in the future too.

I forgot to add on my list of thankyous on the recce thread how much I appreciated everyones consideration towards the 'young ears' in the room on the Saturday evening and generally over the whole weekend. I hope her being there didn't spoil anyones enjoyment. Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #127342 28th Feb 2012 9:19am
Mountain_man

Wales 
Jon, it was a real pleasure having your little one along. Her constant smile and joy at being able to close the gates really made my day. And our CB based I-Spy games were great fun too. Laughing

Saying that, your ear to ear grins were pretty impressive too Rolling with laughter

Hope to meet you both again one day soon

Mark
Post #127346 28th Feb 2012 9:27am
leeds

United Kingdom 
PM, just remember we are looking forward to seeing Annabel's poem. Would guess it will be slightly different to her class mates!

From my point of view of view well trained children and dogs are welcome.

Brendan
Post #127356 28th Feb 2012 9:43am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Well guys, i am glad to see that you all enjoyed the weekend and thought the routes & hotel were well suited to the group.

It was great to get out and meet up with everyone and the atmosphere throughout the weekend was superb.

So we conclude the meal the night prior and the social was worth the effort then!?

So whose got a few more pictures? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #127717 29th Feb 2012 5:32pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
James, the meal was well worth it. Perhaps at first glance a little grand and formal, but as others have said once the beer was flowing everyone got stuck into the conversation.

Hotel was first rate, other then the minor error when we booked in. My co-driver and me are good friends but we ain't ever going to be that friendly Whistle Rolling with laughter

A big thank you from me and Cres, Bow down and I know he's working away editing all the videos he took. That improve camera door mount works really well on the road

Roll on the next one

Ross Thumbs Up 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #127779 29th Feb 2012 7:47pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Couple of snaps that PaulLR90 has added to the photobucket I quite like

He drove me mad with cameras everywhere!

Click image to enlarge

And nearly got a soaking. If only this had been taken 10 seconds later

Click image to enlarge

And one for T1G UP. Does this photo show there are 4 different colours of grey? Laughing And how did mine end up that muddy?

Click image to enlarge
 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #127913 1st Mar 2012 10:19am
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Looks like you had an excellent day... great stuff keep the pictures coming Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #127985 1st Mar 2012 3:11pm
T1G UP

Rosco wrote:

And one for T1G UP. Does this photo show there are 4 different colours of grey? Laughing And how did mine end up that muddy?

Click image to enlarge

Nope There are only 3 shades of Grey! Orkney, Stornaway and Bonatti Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter
Post #128037 1st Mar 2012 6:58pm
Paullr90

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Quality banter! 2003 Td5 90XS
1970 Series 11A 2.25TD
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Lux (the wife's)
Post #128053 1st Mar 2012 7:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>