↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > What Tyres?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Alex e

England 2006 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Zambezi Silver
i didn't need a lift to get them on, they've never rubbed anything even with extreme angles and full articulation.

it now has a small lift on it due to the weight over the front
Post #1993 29th Apr 2008 1:20pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I'd go with BFG ATs as an all round tyre as well. I had a set on the old TD5 110 and they performed and lasted very well. When I can justify it the Generals on the Puma 110 will be swapped for the same.

I've got a set of BFG MTs on the 90 and they are excellent too - and fairly quiet on the road.

I have to say that the standard fit Generals on the 110 perform well - they just don't look tough enough, too 'road looking' Very Happy
Post #2000 30th Apr 2008 10:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Worth looking at the Goodyear MTRs.
They're just as good in the mud and quiet and responsive on tarmac.
Post #2002 30th Apr 2008 11:03am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 
Every owner and driver of Defenders will give you different advice on how well theirs' drives and handles but few will give you the negatives, and we all like and dislike different styles of wheels, some prefer mud tyres just for the looks and never go off-road, I think the noise factor is no big issue as Defenders are not quiet.

I think the best all round is General AT2 or BFGoodrich AT KO's, we have used both of these on many different L/Rover's and other 4x4's. My personal choice is General AT2 as the compound is better than the BFG AT KO's in the wet and as regards quality and finish, come up better especially when you come to ballance them, with most standard and after market alloy wheels needing to have an all internal balance take it from me the General needs far less weight, but will not last as long as the BFGoodrich AT KO and maybe the sidewalls are not as good but this depends on what size you go for.

But at the end of the day the choice is the end user's, as they say "you can lead a horse too water but you can't make it drink".

I will be only to happy to help with questions about what tyres suit what vehicle especially with the L/Rover products, I would like to add that some questions are quicker to answer over the phone, as I can talk a lot quicker than I can type and my smelling, sorry I mean spelling is not so hot.

Best regards

Andy www.ajstyres.co.uk and www.ajs4x4.co.uk Very Happy

www.ajstyres.co.uk 01737 241370

Junction 8 M25 Surrey.
Post #2271 1st Jun 2008 12:47pm
Bogblaster

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Adventure Corris Grey
I bought a set of 285 76 16 Kumho KL71's as my playing tyres and am so far impressed with both their on road characteristics as well as the sticky stuff. A mate of mine got his 90 stuck good and proper on a bridleway as the rain had ran down it like a river, on the way to feed his animals. He was using BFG A/T's, he rang me and asked to pull him out, I not only pulled him out, but them drove through the section where he got stuck just to prove a point!

They were most capable and are not too noisy on the road, the only downside was after recovering him I followed him back, he drove over a branch, I did the same and the Censored thing kicked up between bumper and wing and I bent my 12 month old truck for the first time Big Cry

Anyway, now I have done it I have assured my wife it adds character, whereas on the inside I am secretly gutted! 2019 MY Disco 5 HSE Lux
Audi A4 Avant 3.0L TDI Quattro - WOW
2016 90 Adventure
Post #2282 1st Jun 2008 9:57pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 
I have just returned from a 3,200 mile round trip to the Central Europe Rally in Hungray and Romania, the first of the new Dakar series in my 110, our choice was the Kumho KL71 265/75x16 and would agree with you that these tyres perform very well indeed, the noise leval on tarmac is about the same as BFG MT's and I think it would be very hard to find a winner bewteen the two off-road, the Kumhos are cheeper than the BFG and only thing they have not got is raised white lettering, getting to be very popular.

We keep all the inportant sizes in stock of both the BFG and Kumho mud tyres. Very Happy

Andy www.ajstyres.co.uk Andy.

www.ajstyres.co.uk 01737 241370

Junction 8 M25 Surrey.
Post #2287 2nd Jun 2008 6:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12