↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Memory Map on flip out screen - A good easy work around
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Memory Map on flip out screen - A good easy work around
Might be interesting - Correct me if previously covered and done before.

I have found a way to display memory map (or any other iPhone/ipod app for that matter) on a larger in dash screen. This isn't me being clever (sadly) , I'm just relaying the information I gleaned from the internet.

You need

1) a jailbroken iPhone Whistle
2) a 'display out' app from cydia ( or tv out - there are a couple available)
3) an apple composite video cable (I started with a belkin one which kept falling out -duh)
4) a head unit with aux av connectors ideally on the rear. I haven't tried this on a vehicle, it works fine on my tv screen but here's a link to youtube showing it working (albeit with a car racing game!) http://youtu.be/mb0Q6r46mTw. Still deciding which head unit to go for so watch this space. Only really any use if you plan to have a flip out screen av unit as the small in dash ones would be the same size or smaller screen.

This works with my iPhone 3gs and should work with others. Its different to the standard video out mode on the later iOS versions, which only output the video and sound from certain apps that support 'video out'.

This way you can view (or mirror) the actual iPhone screen on a monitor so every app/operation that I tried would show on the screen. You can't actually control the iPhone from the monitor (as you can with some limited 'app modes' like the Pioneer one) but you can at least see it so handy for some circumstances.

So for the purposes of Memory map - you can set up the track you want to follow or log a new one (using the iPhone display) and then view it on a large screen with the iPhone connected and left somewhere it will pick up a gps signal. I did contact Memory Map to see if it was possible to load their maps straight onto a head unit but they said no (I bet its possible if you can hack the operating system of the unit - works on windows ce right? , but that's beyond me) They also said it wouldn't support video out, which it doesn't , but this way it will.

Also means that you can view Safari, Youtube , iTunes videos, Netflix etc on a bigger screen so could be handy in certain circumstances. It can be set up to copy the screen orientation or locked a certain way up.

I'll be setting this up in due course when I decide which head unit to go for, and post up some pics but for now I know it will work.

There are several tutorials on youtube re jail braking the iPhone and setting up the video out app, if I can find the links again I'll post them.

I know you can use use an iPad on a mount or a dedicated memory map large screen unit, but this way there is no extra cost (except for the cable at £30) and a bit tidier for the occasional off road trip (as long as you have an large flip out screen , or if you want to check position on another map, check google for a pub etc. Could be fun

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #125354 20th Feb 2012 10:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1