Home > Technical > Differential Issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
AndrewS wrote:
Confirmed today that my 110 Utility with heavy duty suspension has light duty 2 pin diffs. When I ordered the vehicle I was not given a choice between 2 or 4 pin diffs. Clearly the 2 pin is not strong enough for a loaded 110 thats used off road as a work vehicle. I am waiting for LR to advise me as to what they intend to do to fix the problem.

I also have a new 110 XS CSW waiting to be collected. I have asked the question 'So what diffs are in the new one then Question guess what Exclamation they don't know Shocked I will take delivery of the new vehicle on the understanding that 4 pin diffs will be fitted if its found that 2 pins have been installed originally.

Hi,

all Puma 110 rear diffs are TBB000270, this is a 4 pin type, short casing like the P38 RR.

the front is a 2 pin TBB000250 but can be replaced with the 4 pin type TBB000280,

the 2 pin won't last long off road, wheel spinning kills them, not a power issue, they last better with traction control as this reduces the wheel spin, Dave
Post #4557 8th Nov 2008 11:48am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Dave,

where would you recommend getting the 4 pins from~? i dont suppose you stock them do you?

Slightly OT but no underdirve cables in yet? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #4561 8th Nov 2008 12:48pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Ashcroft
Post #4564 8th Nov 2008 1:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
My diffs are whining already (12k miles) and land rover said this is normal. Shocked
Post #4565 8th Nov 2008 1:38pm
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
jst wrote:
Dave,

where would you recommend getting the 4 pins from~? i dont suppose you stock them do you?

Slightly OT but no underdirve cables in yet?

I don't have any of these diffs in stock at the moment but I will try to get some next week,

just waiting for a bit to be made for the underdrive, about 2 weeks, Dave
Post #4567 8th Nov 2008 2:59pm
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
The Boy wrote:
My diffs are whining already (12k miles) and land rover said this is normal. Shocked

common yes, normal no,

I am told Landrover are having big diff noise problems on new builds as they have changed the heat treatment plant for the ring and pinions,

tell the dealer you want it fixed, they should not whine at all, the 2.4 90 diffs are the same as a series 2 disco and they didn't whine, don't be fobbed off, Dave
Post #4568 8th Nov 2008 3:04pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Thanks Dave, thats the thing though I won't be fobbed off! Somuch so I have here a letter from land rover with a report on my vehicle. On one of the 6 major points I complain about he (the engineer form lr) said the diff whine is quite normal. I will scan it at work on Monday.
Post #4569 8th Nov 2008 4:00pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
The Boy wrote:
Thanks Dave, thats the thing though I won't be fobbed off! Somuch so I have here a letter from land rover with a report on my vehicle. On one of the 6 major points I complain about he (the engineer form lr) said the diff whine is quite normal. I will scan it at work on Monday.

The LR engineer is an idiot.

I have a slight drive line clonk (not a normal one) the engineer said its ok - maybe something but as my 90 hasnt covered enough mileage it could be ok could be serious. Net result LR think its fine.

Im concerned if the diffs are weaker i may not experience it for years. Mike
Post #4570 8th Nov 2008 4:12pm
Bosun

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I also have driveline clonk in my Puma, but I wouldn't call it slight. The Land Rover technical chap says this is also normal, even to the point of saying "it's characteristic of the marque sir". I'm still persuing the issue, but LR have thrown it back at the dealer saying my complaint/contract is with them. I can't help thinking that LR have a number of problems they don't want to fix!
Bosun
Post #4591 10th Nov 2008 8:36am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Ill admit mine is slight - but i dont think (see all the issues i know there are with this) it will cure itself!!!!! Mike
Post #4604 10th Nov 2008 4:41pm
gtveloce65

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Epsom Green
Just joined the forum - this is all very interesting (read: potentially worrying...).

I've also got drive-line clonk. More than slight, I'd say, but not sounding anything like terminal, so again, i assume the dealer will use the 'feature not a fault' line. The demonstrator that I drove back in March had the same issue, as did the TD5 that I bought instead - but that's another story...

Be interesting to hear from anyone who's succeeded in getting this accepted as a fault and rectified 1953 80
1965 Alfa Romeo GT Veloce Sprint
1980 Fiat 124 Spider
2008 110xs
Post #4625 11th Nov 2008 6:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12