↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > IN DESPERATE NEED WITH SOME TYRE HELP!!!
What Size Tyre Would You Recomend?
235/85/R16 - Stock
21%
 21%  [6]
245/85/R16
3%
 3%  [1]
255/85/R16
25%
 25%  [7]
265/75/R16
28%
 28%  [8]
285/75/R16
21%
 21%  [6]
Total Votes: 28

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
freds

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
IN DESPERATE NEED WITH SOME TYRE HELP!!!
I am finishing my planning stages of a trip from the southern most tip of Africa to the southern most tip of India, via Egypt, and have everything sorted except WHAT TYRES DO I GO FOR???? I need the car to still be able to overland with the most practicality and reliability possible - but I also dont want it to look like a overloaded box sacrificing on looks and off road ability..

I would love a set of 285/75 R16 or 265/75 R16 BFG's but need some advise as to if these tyres are really viable and if not what would be the best tyres for the trip.

If i were to go for a set of 285/75 R16 or 265/75 R16 BFG's:

Will they seriously hinder my vision seeing as i will be carrying 2 spares, one on the bonnet and the other on a rear bracket and will they actually fit on the bonnet?

Im putting full Old Man Emu suspension onto the car which will give it a bit of a lift, but how much of a lift do i need to compensate for these wheels to work without problems??

Will they effect fuel efficiency, seeing as most of the roads are dust and rock tracks i wont be getting into 5th gear all that much?

Will they grind into the wheel arch/well when I turn?

Will They grind up into the wheel arch/well when the suspension compresses over heavier terrain even with my OMS's?

Will they effect my lock/turning circle without spacers?

Will they cause my speed to decrease or create any vibrations at speed caused by the angle of the shafts and so on??

Will they cause any wear and tear that could decrease the cars reliability on the trip?

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP OR ADVISE I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!
if you want to contact me personally please feel free : freds_@msn.com

MANY THANKS Smile
Freddie
Post #9089 26th Mar 2009 9:37pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
This site will give you your speedo calculation and different tyre size readings and measurement
BFG are a really good tyre

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #9091 26th Mar 2009 10:59pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
I have not used any other than stock ones and I would stick with them. In that way you do not stress any components. If AT or MT, depends on the worse terrain you will cross.

If yours is a Puma, then you should pay attn on front/rear props vibration when lifted. Carry some UJ´s spares.

What OME set did you use? Knowing that you are able to calculate the load you can carry.

Think on Michelin XZL. Narrow, but they look very solid on all 130" Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #9095 27th Mar 2009 12:29am
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have 285 - 75 - 16 BFG MT on my 110 it also has old man emu 2" extended springs
They dont rub the arches
Very strong sidewalls
Very good wear rate
Might be a bit big and heavy for the bonnet
I fitted spacers to improve lock
The extra size corrected the speedo
You say you wont get into 5th much so Mpg wont be in issue
The tyres dont cause transmission vibration its only if you lift the ride height too much

Click image to enlarge
Post #9096 27th Mar 2009 12:34am
sasha2001

Russia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
Michelin xzl or xzy etc, they are very tough in the sidewall and do not get punctures very easily espically in sudan etc when you get the thorns which go through the sidewalls like knife through butter. we got 2 punctures a day with goodyears, trucks with michelin got NONE
Post #9097 27th Mar 2009 12:40am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 
285/75x16 on a 7J rim ?

Andy. Andy.

www.ajstyres.co.uk 01737 241370

Junction 8 M25 Surrey.
Post #9099 27th Mar 2009 7:20am
freds

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE HELP!! MUCH APPRECIATED!!

MK

What stress would be put on the components with bigger tyres and is it likely that constant shudders and bumps for miles and miles will be damaging to the car if i put on bigger ones?? (I have a TD5)

Also in terms of the OME set up - i've got the extra heavy duty springs with some serious nitro chargers going on.. however no one was able to give me a definite idea as to how much of a lift they would give.. anywhere from 1" - 3"... but i put similar ones onto my wrangler and ended up with a 4.5" lift.. so dont know whats going on there.. haha..

Sonic3d

Thanks for the info! its good to see a picture of an almost identical truck to mine! looks good! how long have you had them on for and have you had any probs? what do you rate - would you take your land rover round Africa and India with these wheels on - could it be done with ease?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont know if this will work but these look like the sort of thing i am looking for:

The car belongs to member 'AndrewS' - if you read this please could you give me some info on tyre size (they look like the 285/75/R16) and mods that had to be done to accommodate them (suspension etc), and youve been through morocco and others, how did they perform, what would be your advise??

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly what do you rate are the chances of these tyres failing due to punctures? a few of you touched on the subject but im looking to take BFG's and will only be carrying 2 spares - and i could imagine these tyres will be impossible to get hold of outside of south africa if we need new ones.. in short, are they strong enough..

THANKS GUYS - I PROBABLY SOUND LIKE A COMPLETE TOOL BUT I JUST WANT TO MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE..
(This Land Rover Forum is faaaaaar more efficient and better than any of the Jeep forums.. No surprise there.. haha)[/u][/i]
Post #9100 27th Mar 2009 8:10am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Check this link to see the aprox. lift you will get

http://www.landroverclub.com.ar/viewtopic....2e107067a.

Be aware this is the actual OME chart and differs from the one published by ARB Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #9105 27th Mar 2009 11:53am
freds

Hi all, Went to go and have some of the bits and bobs put onto the car today, things like bull bar, winch and so on, and they had these: 285/70/R17.. so i popped them against my car and they look amazing.. im just slightly worried about the amount of height thats left for the tire to travel up into the wheel arch.. Now the suspension is stock in the photos and i am putting on the OME 'Extra heavy duty' suspension which should lift the car buy 40mm - 3"... if is does will this tyre then fit no probs?

(bare in mind that the wheel rim at the moment is sitting close to 3" off the center of these tyres and that these are actually made for a 17" rim unlike my 16's)

PLEASE ADVISE

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #9207 30th Mar 2009 2:25pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Hi freds

My car runs on BFG 285/75 16 the tyres are on Zu rims. The grey 110 behind the red uit is my sons, that hat car ran on Cooper STT 285/85 R18s tyres on specially made Mac5s.

We have entered 2 comps in Morocco with no tyre issues.

Oh in the top pic the front is lifted by 2". Now its sat on a complete 2" lift.
Post #9210 30th Mar 2009 4:53pm
freds

Great! AndrewsS I've been desperate to chat to you, what do you think about doing a trip of this magnitude with those tyres.. would you do it without second thoughts.. and then what lift/suspension do you have? have you got spacers to stop the wheels grinding into the wheel arches/wells when you turn.. please give me the full run through - if i hear from you saying it will be fine I'll buy the bloody things tomorrow. I've looked through your photos and you have done sand and mud and all that, plus i would imagine Morocco is similar terrain to Africa - or most of it..

Getting very very excited now!!
Thanks
Freddie Thumbs Up
Post #9211 30th Mar 2009 5:06pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Yes I would love to do your trip and would use the BFG's no worries. The Cooper STT are also very good and possibly better in soft sand.

Have a look at this thread Thumbs Up http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic103.html?highlight=rims

There is no rubbing at all with the Zu rims shod with the 285 BFG's. The Zu's have an 8mm off set. I have also been able to increase the turning circle with the Zu's. Some would say that the BFG Muds are too aggressive for sand I would agree however, as a tough all rounder they do perform great and if you are in soft sand air them down to 15psi and you will be fine. The Red Dwarf has a 2" Old Man Emu lift.
Post #9215 30th Mar 2009 5:45pm
freds

AndrewS wrote:
Yes I would love to do your trip and would use the BFG's no worries. The Cooper STT are also very good and possibly better in soft sand.

Have a look at this thread Thumbs Up http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic103.html?highlight=rims

There is no rubbing at all with the Zu rims shod with the 285 BFG's. The Zu's have an 8mm off set. I have also been able to increase the turning circle with the Zu's. Some would say that the BFG Muds are too aggressive for sand I would agree however, as a tough all rounder they do perform great and if you are in soft sand air them down to 15psi and you will be fine. The Red Dwarf has a 2" Old Man Emu lift.

GREAT!! Bow down
So your running basically the exact set up im doing.. and have had no problems - exactly what i was wanting to hear from somebody! I think i need the mark 5's then - the steel option is better suited.. will any wheel with a 8mm off set work? will have a look at your thread - think i might have already seen it?
Thanks
Freddie
Post #9219 30th Mar 2009 6:08pm
freds

freds wrote:
AndrewS wrote:

GREAT!! Bow down
So your running basically the exact set up im doing.. and have had no problems - exactly what i was wanting to hear from somebody! I think i need the mark 5's then - the steel option is better suited.. will any wheel with a 8mm off set work? will have a look at your thread - think i might have already seen it?
Thanks
Freddie

WAIT IS IT AN 8" OR 8MM OFF SET?? (8mm seems... well small...)
Post #9221 30th Mar 2009 6:23pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
That would be 8mm not 8" Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #9223 30th Mar 2009 6:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>