Home > My Defender > Mine now - 2003 TD5 90 HT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 24 <123 ... 131415 ... 222324>
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
couplands wrote:
I'm listening, and you've done a great job..!

I've got 100 quids worth of Dinitrol waiting to do my TD5 90, so pleased to see what others have done.

Planning on doing the heated seats and sound proofing too. Also want a heated screen, so just waiting for your "how to" on that little job... Very Happy

Cheers

Simon

Simon, sadly I won't be doing a Heated screen on mine, as it's not an every day car I see little point, plus I used the heated screen fuse for my heated seats!

I've read that Dinitrol is nicer to use than Waxoyl and looks better, I would have used it had I not bought all the Waxoyl kit back in February before I knew more about it. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol

Last edited by RRUK on 26th Aug 2012 8:28pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #164575 26th Aug 2012 8:19pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
bob neville wrote:
I'm waiting for the clutch change how to, mine will need doing soon Thumbs Up

Bob

Bob,

I have already detailed the clutch mod in another thread, but as it adds value here I shall copy and paste it in. Green Machine also added some good help to do it, so I shall include that too.

Clutch Pedal Modification

Green Machine wrote:
RRUK, don't know if you saw my above post, but I did this literally yesterday and after spending hours fiddling with the spring got it fitted in just a couple of minutes with the correct technique. There is absolutely no need to remove the pedal from the master cylinder. First remove the four screws along the bottom edge of the dashboard, underneath the steering column and remove the metal retaining strip that holds the rubber footwell matting in place. With this removed, you can pull the rubber matting away from the underside of the dash enough to access the existing clutch pedal spring. I used a small screwdriver threaded through the hook of the spring to lever it out. From there it's mainly obvious, fit the bushes to the clutch pedal housing (existing holes on either side) and also the 'U' shaped bush to the slot in the back of the clutch pedal arm.

The really important bit, and where I went wrong yesterday, is to fit the spring into the bush in the back of the clutch pedal BEFORE fitting it into the two holes in either side of the clutch pedal housing. Once the spring is clipped into the bush in the clutch pedal arm, fully depress the clutch and chock it with some wood. Then you can use some needle tipped pliers to clip the two loose ends of the spring into the holes in the bushes in the pedal housing. This last bit is a bit fiddly as you need to put a lot of pressure on the pliers, but it is possible and much, much easier than taking the whole pedal assembly apart. There's no need to do anything in the engine bay, it can all be done from the footwell. Hope that helps and good luck!

My Version:

Well, nothing is ever simple is it? Despite all the great instructions from other people you can bet yours won't go the same way. Sad

Here's how I did mine.

Removed rubber mat and unscrewed the metal retaining strip above the pedals. There are 3 screws on the strip and one more lower dash panel screw towards the door that needs removing so the trim strip will come loose. I had to remove the heater vent to get at one of the screws on the trim.

I also have to remove the door pillar mounted interior light switch plunger, and the lower trim retaining strip, plus the door return plastic cover.

I also then had to unbolt the bonnet release mechanism from the bulkhead as the cable was preventing movement of the rubber matting.

That B Twisted Evil d rubber matting! On mine there is a single piece that does the entire bulkhead from door to door, plus a one piece that moulds itself from both floors and over the gearbox tunnel. It is stiff, awkward and total arse to move out of the way, especially with the handbrake being in the way. I only just managed to move it all to the side to get my hands in.

Next, I removed the existing long spring, very easy.

Then I put the bushes in place. The one on the back of the pedal has to click into place and took some right pressure to get it in, I had to use some adjustable pipe wrench pliers to squeeze it in. There was some cursing there too Shocked

Next fitting the 2 side bushes. AARRRGGHHH. They were hard, but using a pair of pliers they also popped into place with the aid of some WD40. The one thing I noticed though before I started all of this was when I went to trial fit the spring into the bushes they don't fit. I know its meant to be a tight fit but it looked to me like it was never going to go in. I was tempted to ream them out a bit with a drill but decided to leave them. More on that later.

I popped the spring into the bush on the back of the pedal until it clicked into place (hoping I had it the right way round) and then used a piece of wood to press the clutch in fully and wedge it against the seat box.

Getting the 2 sides of the spring into the bushes wasn't that hard but I am still not convinced they are seated inside enough. Maybe they will work themselves in as time goes on, I tried to press them in further with pliers but it didn't seem to do anything.

So, it's all done and I eventually managed to grapple the damned matting back into place and put back all the trim.

The pedal does seem lighter, and only a proper drive will tell but it's not going anywhere right now until I have done the chassis painting and then waxoyling.

Some pics for you:

The parts required:

Click image to enlarge

Side trim and door plunger removed:

Click image to enlarge

Bushes in place:

Click image to enlarge

Finally done:

Click image to enlarge
 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #164582 26th Aug 2012 8:21pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I also forgot to add that whilst the wheels were off the other side of the car I topped up the NS Swivel and also topped up the Diffs, although only the front needed some. Also topped up the engine oil as I was in the mood.

Filling the rear diff is a bit of a pain with one of those 1 ltr bottles with a spout top as you can't use gravity, you can't lift the bottle above horizontal due to the rear tank (on a TD5). Luckily I had just the tool for the job. Months back on eBay I bought of those oil syringes, and it was about a fiver. It's already paid for itself, suck up the EP90, squirt it in. Simple as anything. 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #164584 26th Aug 2012 8:26pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Thanks for the info on the stereo panel Thumbs Up

It's not the clutch pedal mod I am waiting for - damn good write up Thumbs Up , it is the full clutch exchange Whistle

Mine makes some horrible noises when cold, fine after a few minutes. Sounds like the release bearing but if I am going to pull it apart for that it will get a new clutch at the same time.

Keep up the excellent work Thumbs Up

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #164594 26th Aug 2012 8:50pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Luckily my clutch was done before I bought it, only a few hundred miles old. That's a job I wouldn't attempt myself, not enough tools or strength I reckon! 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #164616 26th Aug 2012 9:38pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Any other Defender I get will be a TD5. Like yours, but the roof spots would look better round IMO. Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #164707 27th Aug 2012 1:24pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I'm not sure if I want to add the ubiquitous twin round driving lamps to the A-bar or whether to leave as-is.

In the depths of winter it's nice to have more main beam power I guess. Everyone seems to opt for the 50 Wipac set.

Any recommendations? I don't want to spend daft money. 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #165076 29th Aug 2012 1:03pm
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
I've got some unused Wipac ones I could sell you.... the cost of postage would probably be a bit on the silly side though.

Personally I really don't like the twin driving light look, hence I've been trying to get more light from just the standard units. However some LED driving lights might be quite a good, discreet answer once the price comes down a bit?
Post #165085 29th Aug 2012 1:40pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I quite like the rectangular one's on the roof personally. It fits in the the body shape well. To my mind front A bar lights ect should be round to match the regular lights. and up top or at the rear square or rectangular. To me it just looks right. Thumbs Up Each to their own though... Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #165086 29th Aug 2012 1:43pm
maxw

Love the thread! You've got the inside almost perfect, just how I want mine. Keep up the good work!
Post #165296 30th Aug 2012 11:29am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Almost perfect?

What's missing?? Shocked 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #165469 30th Aug 2012 9:46pm
maxw

RRUK wrote:
Almost perfect?

What's missing?? Shocked

Personally I'd carpet behind the seats, and also change the rear floor mat to either checker plate or carpet depending on the uses because I feel it let's the rest down! Apart from that it's brilliant, just what I'm aiming for with my SW Smile
Post #165471 30th Aug 2012 9:52pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
Good job we're not all the same..! I always think carpet in a Defender ends up wet 'n smelly, so prefer the OEM mat. Chequer plate inside is neither original nor nice (makes it even more noisy).

So I think RRUK, you've got yours just right..Wink

Simon
Post #165479 30th Aug 2012 10:11pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I am not 100% happy with the rear load space floor mat.

I saw at a country/equestrian style store the other day, some very thick heavy Horse stable matting, made in rubber. Its about 15-20mm thick and you can cut it to size. It would look better and provide a little more insulation, but at 46 a sheet I am not sure. Maybe it was a little too thick as there would be a lip at the rear door threshold.

I still have plenty of the carpet left and I agree, the lower bulkhead behind the seat could still be improved. I'm not sure there is a picture on the thread but behind the seats I have carpeted over the top of the bulkhead and down to the halfway rib, which sits just above my Alpine sub. I have only not done the lower half (the bit you only see if you pull the seats forward etc. The problem is that my ECU and fuse box were relocated behind the cubby by a previous owner so it makes it very awkward.

Those are minor tweaks. Looking back on the start of my thread I have done 99% of what I intended to do now.

Comments always welcome though and ideas I may not have considered yet. Thumbs Up 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #165545 31st Aug 2012 11:18am
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
RRUK wrote:
I am not 100% happy with the rear load space floor mat.

I saw at a country/equestrian style store the other day, some very thick heavy Horse stable matting, made in rubber. Its about 15-20mm thick and you can cut it to size. It would look better and provide a little more insulation, but at 46 a sheet I am not sure. Maybe it was a little too thick as there would be a lip at the rear door threshold.

I noticed that Entreq do rear trim strips with different thickness so it can accommodate floor coverings upto truck board type flooring.

Cheers

Simon
Post #165563 31st Aug 2012 1:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 14 of 24 <123 ... 131415 ... 222324>