↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > has this been on here yet?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Well, i've said it before and i'll say it again !

It cant be any worse than my 08 Puma that the dealers ruined with continuous software upgrades, and a whole host of other none mentionables
Rolling with laughter

As has been said already, it does look like a cross over from the old Talbot Rancho, "which i really liked when i was a kid"
And the Skoda yeti, "which i quite like as an adult"

As long as the handbrake doesent get covered in oil from the transfer box and the windscreen wipers work, and it doesent go into Limp home mode at the bottom of every hill after trailing throttle then i think i'll have one..........

Thumbs Up DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #111990 4th Jan 2012 1:31pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
I really like it (the hard top one), the front end styling needs work but if they keep the systems fairly simple and robust it will be great.

I think it will sell by the bucketful as long as the price is sensible, I will be one of the 1st in line and will happily get it straight off the tarmac and have a play.

Nice to see it starting to emerge with half decent wheels/tyres too. Andy
Post #111991 4th Jan 2012 1:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
CFB wrote:
I really like it (the hard top one), the front end styling needs work but if they keep the systems fairly simple and robust it will be great.

I think it will sell by the bucketful as long as the price is sensible, I will be one of the 1st in line and will happily get it straight off the tarmac and have a play.

Nice to see it starting to emerge with half decent wheels/tyres too.

Do you think you will have as many as you have had D3's Whistle DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #111998 4th Jan 2012 1:43pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
Depends how good they are, and of course how expensive Whistle Andy
Post #112004 4th Jan 2012 1:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
CFB wrote:

Given that it's been billed to have automatic spiked tyres and sonar, that seems unlikely Laughing I don't think Land Rover do "simple and robust" anymore Big Cry Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #112009 4th Jan 2012 2:11pm
Setok

Finland 
bpman wrote:
It'll probably grow on us Thumbs Up be interested to see the 110 version

Been looking at it for months, and .... nope.

You put a picture of a real 110 beside and it and there's no comparison. The DC100 is a lifestyle vehicle, which completely misses the charm of a Defender: utilitarian, tough, simple.
Post #112026 4th Jan 2012 3:29pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
But come on guys, the Defender is crude, poor to drive, badly built and in desperate need of an update. Times have changed and it just doesn't sell in enough numbers to warrant keeping it, not to mention the total lack of safety kit.

I love the look of the current one but could not live with one as a daily drive (and I've tried all varieties!!)

If the new one is really good to drive, tough, reliable and fantastic off-road then job-done for me. Andy
Post #112027 4th Jan 2012 3:35pm
Setok

Finland 
CFB wrote:
But come on guys, the Defender is crude, poor to drive, badly built and in desperate need of an update. Times have changed and it just doesn't sell in enough numbers to warrant keeping it, not to mention the total lack of safety kit.

This has been debated umpteen times here. Yes, update the Defender. No, don't update it to something which has nothing of the Defender blood in it and which looks like something out of an Aqua music video. Before saying it's impossible, I'll hand you a Wrangler (which I'd get in an instant, if the choice was between it and a DC100).

The Ford Bronco concept is way more Defender than the DC100. That's kind of sad.

The reasons for low Defender sales (if that's even the case) are debatable as well. They need to fix their reputation for reliability, as they've lost so many markets they used to control. Also the Defender is actually difficult to get these days. Not available in the US. Taxed like crazy in many EU countries. And Land Rover has a habit of hiding it in their marketing efforts. I've met tons of people who are surprised when they learn Land Rover still makes them!

Again, compare that to how Jeep presents their Wrangler...
Post #112029 4th Jan 2012 3:44pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
But LR clearly know how to appeal to the mass market/up-market buyers, look at sales of the D3-4, RRS, FL2 etc.

These markets generate big sales volumes and premium profits so it will be interesting to see if they have decided to effectively abandon the more hard-core utility markets altogether which clearly the DC100 is not!

I don't think they could ever produce something that would tick all the boxes so they have to decide which market they want, either that or develop 2 different products entirely. Andy
Post #112031 4th Jan 2012 3:54pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Setok wrote:
bpman wrote:
It'll probably grow on us Thumbs Up be interested to see the 110 version

Been looking at it for months, and .... nope.

You put a picture of a real 110 beside and it and there's no comparison. The DC100 is a lifestyle vehicle, which completely misses the charm of a Defender: utilitarian, tough, simple.

There ya go Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #112036 4th Jan 2012 4:07pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
“More a lifestyle vehicle… than a tool”

Of course! To compare it with a Defender or Discovery would be like comparing a sewing machine with a microwave oven.

The hard-top won’t replace the 110 which I use to tow my boat, but the convertible will be on my drive as soon as the new-car bugs have been sorted.

Peter
Post #112039 4th Jan 2012 4:11pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
CFB wrote:

I love the look of the current one but could not live with one as a daily drive (and I've tried all varieties!!)

Depends on the person I guess. I've had Defenders as my daily driver for years and love them.

The Puma is updated in many respects but I'd agree could do with a better heating (distribution) system and a few other bits.

I wouldn't call it crude or poor to drive though. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #112044 4th Jan 2012 4:29pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
As said you cannot make a comparison between the two they are totally different for different uses.

The DC100 simply won't be able to fulfill the diverse role that the Defender does. If you are into Rav4's, drop head Mini's and Kia then fine but I wouldn't be seen dead in one - would look a right tit, see how long it takes to get the gay or hairdressers car label. I don't mind LR reaching into a new market but don't call it a Defender, it's insulting to a vehicle that has stood the test of time for over 60 years, a vehicle more widely known across the world than any other vehicle and a vehicle with more survivors on the road than any other because it is such a versatile tool. This is more California beach Barbi doll Censored ! Rolling Eyes
Post #112045 4th Jan 2012 4:49pm
dorsetsmith

Rolling with laughter well have to see how long it take to brake one proplley Whistle

i supose it will be ok driving arond in london

present Landrover Defenders never die, they always live on one way or other Very Happy

we will be all for a right long time yet Thumbs Up

apologies for the bad spelling, my spellchecker has just arrived home! Bow down

Last edited by dorsetsmith on 4th Jan 2012 8:28pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #112050 4th Jan 2012 5:04pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up Well said Wink
Post #112059 4th Jan 2012 5:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>