↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Chassis Protection for new Defenders.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Paul Rover

United Kingdom 
Chassis Protection for new Defenders.
When I had a call from LR customers services last week following up my need to call LR Assist I asked them about chassis protection on the current models and was told the metal is coated prior to painting - he knew no more than that! I'm not sure how knowledgeable he was on Defenders though as he tried to tell me the chassis used to be galvanized Laughing
Does anybody out there know exactly what treatment, if any, is given to the underside of new Defenders?
Post #108159 18th Dec 2011 12:37pm
Ninetenths

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Think it's just a travel coat now, my 07 has an OE underseal which has lasted well, but the bean counters probably enforced some corner cutting on later models. Pimped black '07 Puma
Equally Pimped Black Pick up Truck

Rollin deep
Post #108164 18th Dec 2011 12:58pm
Paullr90

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I think GKN epd the chassis before painting. It's the same process we are using on our new JCB tractors. basically a electrostatic dipping proces. give it a google. 2003 Td5 90XS
1970 Series 11A 2.25TD
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Lux (the wife's)
Post #108168 18th Dec 2011 1:49pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
My 07 had some underseal on on some places but not all over. When it went back at two years old most of the chassis had rust starting. The 09 had no underseal and infact had bare shiny metal in places so I coated it myself. At two and a half years old I cant see any rust coming through yet.
Post #108180 18th Dec 2011 3:05pm
Paul Rover

United Kingdom 
Quote:
I think GKN epd the chassis before painting

Thanks. I've googled 'electrostatic dipping' but was does 'epd' stand for?
Post #108181 18th Dec 2011 3:06pm
Paullr90

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrophoretic_deposition
Electrophoretic deposition almost got it right. It's like a coating of primer before a top coat. 2003 Td5 90XS
1970 Series 11A 2.25TD
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Lux (the wife's)
Post #108185 18th Dec 2011 4:12pm
Paul Rover

United Kingdom 
Got it - thanks again.
Not convinced that this alone will protect the underside from the ravages of road salt during the Winter months though, so having just spent the best part of £26K, I think I'll be following the waxoyl/dinitrol route ASAP.
Post #108186 18th Dec 2011 4:23pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Or better still paint your chassis with POR-15 (Frosts.co.uk) after rust converting any small rusty areas, you will never have to do the outside again and it always look clean and shiny Wink Then just use the Dinitrol cavity cans every 4-8 years depending on the type of use your LR has. The Dinitrol kits which can be got from their outlet Rejel.com already have rust converting cans in the kit, code DIN02L for a 90 or 110 Thumbs Up

This pic was taken after I had treated with Dintrol, so the nice coating of POR-15 got mucked up with over-spray but has since been cleaned off. Word of warning don't paint POR-15 on anything you will need to undo in the future e.g. drain plugs, axle nuts etc once this stuff is on it's cemented on for good :wink:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #108204 18th Dec 2011 6:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMike

United Kingdom 
or even better than that, Tetrosyl chassis paint (needs no primer, just spray or brush it on)

i cant believe you even painted your steering damper zag Rolling with laughter
Post #108208 18th Dec 2011 7:04pm
Paul Rover

United Kingdom 
As the it's only a couple of weeks old with less than 200 road miles on the clock there shouldn't be any rust patches yet, but I take your point, and having read the posts on here re rust proofing I certainly will be treating the chassis in and out. Would you say Dinitrol is better than Waxoyl?
Post #108210 18th Dec 2011 7:07pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Whistle Painstakingly painted everything I could - it took me 2 weeks on and off to do it all, hell of a job but quite satisfying doing it. POR-15 is nice stuff to work with, it goes straight on, no need to prime either just need to degrease first Thumbs Up
Post #108212 18th Dec 2011 7:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Paul Rover wrote:
As the it's only a couple of weeks old with less than 200 road miles on the clock there shouldn't be any rust patches yet, but I take your point, and having read the posts on here re rust proofing I certainly will be treating the chassis in and out. Would you say Dinitrol is better than Waxoyl?

Paul there will be rust on the weld seems etc I'm afraid - it is present before the factory build Rolling Eyes It's only a few patches however and can be stopped dead. Plenty of threads on the advantages of Dinitrol over Waxoyl on here and other forums Thumbs Up It's nice to see ACF50 is also getting good press over WD40 on forums.
Post #108214 18th Dec 2011 7:13pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Dinitrol treatment all done now but one question.

Middle door pillars had a largish plug - removed, cavity sprayed and plug put back then black waxed. Front door pillars (A pillar?) didn't have a plug but a smaller whole at the bottom, so applied cavity wax through small hole and pushed in a plug that came with the dinitrol kit, then black waxed.

Just been thinking is that hole open for a reason ? should I have not plugged it? just getting paranoid like you do and don't want to spoil the job at the last minute by doing something wrong.

Thanks for any input on that.

Quite a nice finish in the end with that stuff, got some engine wax in the kit as well but I'm in two minds about that - I'll ponder that one over Christmas.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #109210 22nd Dec 2011 6:49pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Sounds like you've done a thorough job. Never seen one with a plug in bottom of the A pillar. Access to the top can be gained by removing one hinge screw at a time which enables you to get a fine spray lance in there and wiggled about. Rubber grommets below the windscreen are worth attention too. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #109272 22nd Dec 2011 9:52pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Zagato wrote:
Or better still paint your chassis with POR-15 (Frosts.co.uk) after rust converting any small rusty areas, you will never have to do the outside again and it always look clean and shiny Wink

This pic was taken after I had treated with Dintrol, so the nice coating of POR-15 got mucked up with over-spray but has since been cleaned off. Word of warning don't paint POR-15 on anything you will need to undo in the future e.g. drain plugs, axle nuts etc once this stuff is on it's cemented on for good Wink

Zagato - looking at the Frosts website and there are various products available under the POR 15 brand:

1. Rust Preventative Paint - this seems the original but best applied to rusty or bare metal rather than pre-painted

and then in descending order of cost, there is:

2. Hardnose Paints
3. Chassis Coat Black
4. BlackCote Paint

which product(s) did you use in the photo above?

They also do a Tie Coat Primer which they suggests need using if you are going to over paint item 1.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #232632 4th May 2013 11:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>