↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > SCOOP - New Defender DC100
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 13 of 33 <123 ... 121314 ... 313233>
Print this entire topic · 
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
fishrider wrote:
I was pretty negative about it in an earlier post. I appreciate that a new defender is on the way, it's been a long time coming. I'm sure it'll be a fantastic vehicle. I reckon this is just a very very early prototype.
It's certainly got a reaction , which is exactly what publicity is all about. A clear path has been drawn on which way to take this project. I guess if they want to take back some market share from the Asian pick-up sector, it needs to be more car like in terms of drivability. Maybe even make a loss for the first few years..
Make a car that's just so much better and more desirable than a bog standard pick-up at the same price level, clean up on the Market for sure.
I'm picking on "pick-ups" because where I live in Cornwall pretty much all working cars that aren't Defenders are them. Plus I've driven a Hilux in Africa and it pains me to say it ,they're comfortable. I'm sure this is the main factor in it.
Which makes me question why the ride of the defender wasn't sorted out a bit sooner ?

I don't find the current Defender uncomfortable at all, and I think I do a lot more daily miles than most people on here. The myth of Landrovers being uncomfortable is just that, a myth, even with series vehicles, although they are/were noisier than cars I suppose. I once read that sitting in a Landrover was akin to sleeping in a river...hmm, written by somone who has never been in one then. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #87436 3rd Sep 2011 3:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fishrider

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Keswick Green
I Think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one mate, I've done about 9000 miles in mine so far. The puma's a vast improvement from the TD5 , having said that mines a HT and my pumas a station wagon. I drove the TD5 the whole way around India two years ago and by the end of it the passengers in the back had to lay on the floor as the ride was killing our backs lol That's why I love it though Smile I can't think of a bouncier truck.

Fully loaded up with gear and it's a different car. Empty with just a couple passengers you can feel every thing 110 HT TD5 - 110 XS SW Puma
Post #87438 3rd Sep 2011 4:03pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Sounds like you may have HD springs. Even unladen mine runs nice and soft over any bumps. You still feel them as you do in a car, but it isn't painful... 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #87441 3rd Sep 2011 4:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Steve B

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Setok wrote:
22900013A wrote:
Zagato wrote:
tatra805 wrote:

That's nearer the mark Very Happy

I think thats a slightly shopped pic of the Ford Bronco concept. Shows who has been paying attention (Ford) and who hasn't (Landrover) eh?

It's brutal. Beginning to like that!

more like what I was expecting too Very Happy 
Post #87447 3rd Sep 2011 5:34pm
Morea

This more like it, great work. Do not let me paste the link, but I copied the information.

Unless you’ve had your head under a rock for the last few days, you’ll be aware that Land Rover have shown a few concept pics of the potential, 2015 replacement Defender. Granted, it’s very early days for this vehicle, with the JLR top-brass and design directors saying it’s only a very early concept design that will evolve before it’s release.

That said, the initial concept isn’t really winning many admirers. We’ve sifted through countless FaceBook, Twitter & forum posts, all in an effort to try and gauge the reaction of Land Rover owners to the DC100. The overwhelming response? We’ve found maybe 5% of the Land Rover world like it. That’s not exactly the best start. So, why exactly has this new design been such a controversial move? The DC100 doesn’t relate to the current Defender design in any way. It’s like the designers just started from scratch. 60 years of history have seemingly been wiped out and a vehicle that will sit within the current Land Rover line-up has been made.

So, we’ve assembled the most iconic shapes and panels of a Defender, to try and help Land Rover incorporate a little more of the past and hopefully win over Landy nuts.

Front Wings

The front wings of a Defender are almost irreplaceable. Unless of-course, you really want to replace them, in which case the whole thing separates into two parts and they simply bolt on with a few nuts.

This design is brilliant. It means removal / repairs are very speedy and also allows for swapping simply the side panel if needed. The flat shape is perfect for attaching accessories and chequer plate for example. Unfortunately, the new Defender seems to lose this practical, chunky design in favour of a more rounded (granted, aerodynamic), shaped and formed wing, which looks like it will be quite a pain to remove with basic tools.

Side Doors

Just like the first ever prototype Land Rover, the body panels of a 2011-Plate Defender are simple. Simple in construction, appearance and function. There’s no complicated trim on the inside either, meaning doors can be swapped out in 10 minutes. The hinges are designed to set the alignment of the panel, but these do tend to corrode.

The DC100 lacks any kind of body furniture (such as the sticky-out, almost useless door handles & locks) or the chunky, blocky hinges that sit proudly just behind the wheel arches.

Windscreen

The design of the Defender is quite complicated, with rain gutters, seals, seams, hinges, rivets, door mirrors and general screws dotted about and yet it still manages to look quite minimal and simplistic. We love the subtly curved windscreen mounts and that rain gutter (complete with a tiny, pizza shaped notch to drain water). There’s nothing on a Defender that doesn’t perform some sort of function, or at least offer practical value.

Bulkhead

The bulkhead corners are one of worst places to get rust, but they are also one of the most intricate and detailed. Lot’s of curves meet here to create the sub-structure. The Defender designers clearly were inspired by Land Rovers of old.

Rear-Tub

Finally, the rear tub. The capping on the end of the bodywork help to add rigidity and also mean the tub can be part disassembled to replace panels. However, with this sort of edging, complete with rivets, the designers created a really industrial look and feel. The raised bar that sits just below the rear panel is the surface that soft-top roof hooks are mounted.

Putting it all together
So, now to put it all together. The DC100 is perhaps just a bit too far ahead of it’s time. The Defender has, and always will be, 20 years behind in terms of design. The jump Land Rover have made is too big, but there are changes and tweaks they could make to the new concept car to reflect more of the vehicle’s past. So, we’ve incorporated everything that makes a Defender into the PR photos.

Here’s the changes outlined. Click the image for a higher resolution sample.

What do you think to our “Defender 2″, based more upon the original Defender? Would you buy it? How would you design the Defender’s replacement? http://www.clublandrovertt.org/index.php?a...ype=avatar

Last edited by Morea on 4th Sep 2011 12:39pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #87451 3rd Sep 2011 6:43pm
fishrider

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Keswick Green
Wow ! Good work. I'd buy it Cool 110 HT TD5 - 110 XS SW Puma
Post #87456 3rd Sep 2011 7:18pm
mrtod

United Kingdom 
It's nearly there...Just make the wings a bit flatter and ABS arches a bit bigger (like the current defender or Disco3 for that matter) and you will have it. http://projectd90.blogspot.com/ - a work in progress.
Post #87484 3rd Sep 2011 9:11pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Morea - where did you find that page?
It looks good.

I've been wondering if LR have given us a crap prototype, so that we think any slight improvement to the design in future will be the best thing since sliced bread?
Take the Ford Bronco photo-shop as an example - how many would have thought that was brilliant the first time you saw it? Not that many I should think...
But now you've seen the DC100 - suddenly the Bronco thing looks great! Rolling Eyes
Post #87486 3rd Sep 2011 9:14pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Morea:

Looks better that the original replacement made by LR.

Just one thing that still is missing is the alpine window.

Can somebody put on this model?

Cheers Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #87505 3rd Sep 2011 10:44pm
DG

United Kingdom 
Listen to some here Morea......and with a bit more tweaking it will look like this Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Wink Interloper from disco3
Post #87507 3rd Sep 2011 10:49pm
KarlB

Australia 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Good find Morea. Here is the link: http://funrover.com/featured/what-makes-a-defender-iconic/

Cheers
KarlB
Post #87513 4th Sep 2011 12:11am
MrFlips

Wales 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Santorini Black
DG wrote:
Listen to some here Morea......and with a bit more tweaking it will look like this Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Wink

I do apologise DG - you'll have to excuse us for liking Defenders on a Defender forum. Peter
2008 SWB Truck Cab
1952 80" Soft top
Post #87516 4th Sep 2011 12:22am
DG

United Kingdom 
Yes I know and so do I ...but this thread is about the 2014 defender which is in the "future" isn't it ..see butt Smile Thumbs Up Interloper from disco3
Post #87518 4th Sep 2011 12:57am
MrFlips

Wales 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Santorini Black
Yes butt, I do, I'm all for the future - don't get me wrong for a moment: I often set off for work and there will be rain drops sat on my bonnet, and they will still be there when I arrive at the office, and I cannot help but think that it would be lovely if Land Rover took aerodynamics into consideration and produced something that cut through the air a little cleaner, and as such used a little less fuel. That said, it would be nice if the new Defender bared a vague resemblance to the previous model. I'm not asking for it to be a carbon copy, but SOME resemblance would be nice.

Back in the nineties I was wondering to the train station after a busy day at work, and as I crossed the road I saw a Range Rover P38 at the front of the queue, This was maybe six months before it was released, but it was obvious what it was. The thing is it was recognisable instantly, and that's what I'm after. Is that "OK" with you? Peter
2008 SWB Truck Cab
1952 80" Soft top
Post #87519 4th Sep 2011 1:20am
DG

United Kingdom 
Now look yerrrr see ... unless you are wearing woolly underpants, and have a beard and consider yourself as 'some here' then I don't believe I have referred to anyone specifically Wink Just 'aving a bit of fun see like... isn't it Very Happy Thumbs Up

I can understand the desire for some lineage points and I think they might eventually feature in the production model but if it is a full design departure then no one need be afraid of that surely Confused Look how many vehicles out there bare no resemblance to their previous models and yet are extremely successful.....has that diminished the heritage of their brand ? Models in history will always be there to reflect upon, in the case of the defender my opinion is that it's just time to move on. Smile Interloper from disco3

Last edited by DG on 4th Sep 2011 9:24am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #87533 4th Sep 2011 7:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 13 of 33 <123 ... 121314 ... 313233>