↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Bath proposes clean air charge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Ah, ok. So not based on anything concrete, then? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #736047 21st Oct 2018 3:57pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Did I say it was? It was just an opinion after reading what looks like a typical BBC report.

Air travel is rarely mentioned when pollution is talked about in the media, where road travel is always the first to be scrutinised/penalised. Same with shipping.
Post #736048 21st Oct 2018 4:02pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
The amount of CO2 produced by air travel is shocking.
It's usually quoted as Grammes of CO2 per passenger km (or mile). So multiply it by the number of seats on the plane and length of the journey.

I once worked out it would have produced less CO2 if every passenger on the plane had each driven the distance in a small car!
But hey, cracking down on air travel would stifle business and tourism, no government in the world wants to do that.
That's why there's little tax on aviation fuel.
Meanwhile the motorist is facing the prospect of a total ban on using similar fuels for personal needs. Rolling Eyes

From Wikipedia, Typical aviation emissions, per passenger Km,

Domestic, short distance, less than 463 km (288 mi): 257 g/km CO2 or 259 g/km (14.7 oz/mile) CO2e
Domestic, long distance, greater than 463 km (288 mi): 177 g/km CO2 or 178 g/km (10.1 oz/mile) CO2e
Long distance flights: 113 g/km CO2 or 114 g/km (6.5 oz/mile) CO2e

Last edited by DSC-off on 21st Oct 2018 4:47pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #736052 21st Oct 2018 4:40pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Interesting two reports have been referenced on this thread

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/0...w-lorries/

dated 6th January 2017 and states

Quote:

Air pollution plays a contributing factor in at least 25,000 deaths in England each year,

Now https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40726868 dated 19th October 2018

Quote:

Poor air quality is the "biggest environmental risk to public health in the UK" - thought to be linked to about 40,000 premature deaths a year

Now England has 85% of UK population with a population density of about 405 people/km2

Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland make up 15% with a population density of between 67 to 147 people/km2.

Now looking at those figures you are at a statically greater risk of dying from air pollution in rural Scotland then in the more populated SE of England.

On those figures we really should abandon the clean air zones in urban England and put them in place in the Highlands and Islands.

Now why do I have sceptical thoughts about the figures being bandied around?

What do they say about lies, damned lies.........

Brendan
Post #736053 21st Oct 2018 4:43pm
Mike c

My point exactly DSC-off! Its the probably the worst polluting transport of them all but never mentioned, for the reasons you have stated above. Made all the worse since cheap flights became available so people are doing it much more frequently.

Yet the motorist cops the blame and will end up being told what we are "allowed" to drive irrelevant of factors like longevity of a vehicle being better for the environment. Providing the engine is well maintained, I will admit there are some terribly smoking ageing diesels on the road but they are vans and regular cars
Post #736055 21st Oct 2018 4:51pm
LandRoverAnorak

Mike c wrote:
Did I say it was? It was just an opinion after reading what looks like a typical BBC report.

Your original post didn't give much away as it was merely a statement, which was why I asked.

I don't have any problem with opinions but as few of us on here know each other beyond what we can see typed, a bit of context goes a long way when deciding whether to take an opinion seriously. If, for example, you were a climate scientist then I'd think more of your opinion than if you'd read it in your tea leaves (not that I'm suggesting you did). Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #736067 21st Oct 2018 6:14pm
Mike c

That's fair enough, sometimes comes across wrong on text/forums Thumbs Up
Climate scientists surely are normally funded by public bodies so not necessarily to be believed 100%, that's another opinion Wink
Post #736068 21st Oct 2018 6:19pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Maybe they could at least consider widening the roads so there is room, remove the hundreds of mini roundabouts and stupidly long traffic lights.
Pedestrians don't need a crossing point ever 50ft either.

As I said it's politically and status related propositioning.

Remarkably as many of you already have mentioned they don't think they pollute at all with their 5 trips to .Spain a year for holidays etc, whilst all the time there us this country anyway.

There is also the draw that they seem to think that Eco warrior cars are Europe made thus superb..
If ever you see any, you can bet your life it won't be a Nissan Leaf of a Prius or any of those.
It'll be one of those BMW I things, or something similar.

So long as it bolsters the German, French or Spanish economy over ours they are happy.

Mind you I do feel sorry for those that genuinely try to do an actual job of work around there like the Taxi drivers for example.

Back on the previous subject, I've seen at least 5 easyJet aircraft in an hour or two this afternoon whilst outside today in its self. And the majority of them were coming only from one direction too.

Finally they had years to add EV charging points if they'd wanted to do. One key reason it costs them abd can't make money on that so not interested. You can form your own conclusions to that whilst at the same time saying people should consider "just get a new car".

You couldn't get more out of touch if you tried, that Council are worse than other royal estate owners in the area even and that's saying something. Rolling with laughter Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #736074 21st Oct 2018 7:06pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Well they voted for it..

But don't have funding secured but knowing T-M and co I wouldn't be surprised Rolling Eyes all the while some people have no home or are going without food this govt would likely spend on that rubbish. And yes, they proposed some cars to go though free and LGV's pay..

No surprise there either, my MP is and was dead against it..

Yet another money making scam and yet another attack on freedom, and freedom of choice.

Next step air, water and food tax for BANES residents? Whistle Evil or Very Mad

Words fail me.. Thud Banging Head Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️

Last edited by custom90 on 5th Mar 2019 11:13pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #762081 5th Mar 2019 8:51pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Could the UK public enforce a Westminster climate tax, because there is huge amounts of toxicity, foul stench, hot air crap being generated from the Houses of Parliament? Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #762102 5th Mar 2019 10:52pm
Slideywindows

England 
I've lived in NW Essex all my life - and watched the exponential expansion of Stansted Airport over thousands of acres of food producing land.

The skies have become full of more and more planes, and it seems like every month a new route is opened to a new destination.

The Airport reports new record numbers of passengers every quarter.

For many years legislation has clamped down on earth-bound industry and motor vehicles, to force them to produce less pollution, but I haven't heard of "Euro5" planes, electric planes, or Low Emission Zones in the sky.

Most flights from Stansted are lifestyle/leisure flights rather than essential flights.

The concept of so-called "cheap" flights is seldom challenged.

This industry clearly holds a "Golden Ticket" to pollute.
Post #762105 5th Mar 2019 11:02pm
LandRoverAnorak

This just popped up about aircraft emissions on the BBC, which seems relevant:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47460958 Darren

Post #762106 5th Mar 2019 11:11pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Slidey - Yiu can imagine why, because it's billion pound business and not your average person like we are.

All the while this:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/s...l-families
Is going on when you see they are openly inviting people into there to commute to London each and every day, looks at the carbon footprint of that.
To the best of my knowledge tonight I even found the MP for Bath had objections and mine in my area has as well.
Yet about 10 people or so, affluent councillors decided..

Even thought 12,000+ people consulted they said one of them I quote. "It may seem draconian, but it just needs to be done".
There hasn't been any transparency or democracy in this at all, they've consulted the publicly so called and then simply themselves decided as the were originally anyway.
Taxi driver out of work, hauliers charged £100 a day as well.
Tree surgeons told to get new vehicles worth over £40,000+ the list goes on.

I've emailed the RHA, about it but who knows beyond that there is little that can be done as I've made my views clear.

Remarkable part is as expected, petrols or at least many of them being except and being the newest so are giving those with the most money free entry and you are talking very new cars and not electric etc.
Blatent discriminatory behaviour and knowing them financially and politically motivated.
Also like many others they've taken the maximum council increase they possibly can that the govt has allowed.

The gift dies nothing instead of sympathise with terrorists half the time, seems they are more important than most of us!

Regarding aircraft, yes there seems to me to be many many more and the chemtrails all over the place.
You can only imagine the shear amount of fuel burnt there and even as I type now one has just gone over! Shocked Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #762108 5th Mar 2019 11:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123