↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Defender td5 diagnostic kit, which & why?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Adam17

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Defender td5 diagnostic kit, which & why?
OK ladies and gents - topic for discussion is Defender TD5 Diagnostic kits.

Which one and why?!? For home use, and fix, not garage use...

Foxwell nt510, Nanocom, Icarsoft, Bearmach hawkeye, Britpart lynx-bluetooth Regards
Adam

Loving The Duchess
The Defender 110 TD5 XS

My Defender story - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic64005.html
Post #735969 20th Oct 2018 9:03pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
How much do you want to spend and what do you want to do with it?
Post #735970 20th Oct 2018 9:10pm
Adam17

I'll spend what I need to, to have the right product... Buy cheap buy twice... If I have to wait and save up I will.

I want it for checking up on my defender, make sure it's running as best it can, sometimes it's feels low on power other times it's rapid.

I want to be able to see live data as I'm driving - I think the Nanocom shows the boost etc..

I like the idea of mapping aswell...
So if I was to get my remap guy to send me some maps for different occasions, like general drive to work - don't need lots of power / long trips a map for best fuel economy / weekend fun, up the power... Etc etc.

Fault code finding, and I can fix myself all good, or take to garage and get help... Are there diagnostics that not only give the fault code but explain what it is? I'm sure I saw one on YouTube but forgot the brand...

Truth be told I'm not 100% up on all this tech.. I'm new to land rover and new to mechanics... But I'm very eager to learn and I learn quick... Regards
Adam

Loving The Duchess
The Defender 110 TD5 XS

Post #735971 20th Oct 2018 9:19pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
I’d keep your money, from what you say and your experience it’s not worth it. Tuning properly takes different software and equipment and a BSU (battery support unit) that’s £3000 at least, it wouldn’t pay for a lot of Land Rover garages to even own it- as it’s an overpopulated market that you have to buy credits for in batches- most sub-contract it.

Having the Diagnostic gear is easy, understanding it and knowing how to interpret the data takes years, the information just isn’t out there for Land Rovers/Home gamers and that’s why professional equipment like Autologic costs 7k + and a yearly subscription- for the files and the mastertechs on the hotline.

Data PIDs only read so fast.

If you want something to do the basics and to learn, buy something with live data, graphing and bi-directional control. It’s a very common misconception that you plug a machine in and it holds all the answers, that’s far from the truth. There’s all sorts of quirks and misleading info for a start. I don’t really use the Diag gear on Td5 that much, unless it’s for programming as most faults like fuel and MAF problems can or are done without it.

If I was going to spend a bit of money on a Diagnostic machine I’d buy something non specific, like an Autel or Launch “cheap” and will do many makes and models much more useful for the home gamer. Your money would be much better spent on some ATG books and learning. https://www.aeswave.com/training-c452/

I’d say 99% of Land Rover only garages use Autologic and IDS- everything is going J2534 pass thru now

I know and do work for plenty of other garages that have spent thousands on Diagnostics equipment and they might as well be paperweights as they don’t spend anything on training to use them. Sometimes you can even have three different machine that will give you three different sets of codes or data- let’s not even get into the false data that some give you, that can send you on a wild goose chase.

Buy a test light and do some reading that’s where I’d start -learning the circuitry

I hope that doesn’t come across as harsh it’s just my honest trade opinion on not wasting your money. Personally the only experience I have of the “hobby” tools is the old nanocom and it wasn’t great. I’ve had the MSV by blackbox and it was terrible, T4 is great but slow- the proper version is the only one worth having with all the leads and accessories- Autologic- in my eyes the best. Snap on- doesn’t cover all the stuff and is sometimes a liar- their customer service is also crap beyond belief ,bosch KTS- powerful, but not easy to understand. Hawkeye is a rebranded- T4 handheld so old 90’s tech all made by omitech I think or licenced by them.
Post #735980 20th Oct 2018 10:01pm
Adam17

Thanks NickMc, I appreciate the honesty. and take no offence. Id rather be put straight than waste money...

Still on my mind though. Others on the social media are saying Nanocom mainly, who knows... ill leave it a while and let your info sink in. Im in no rush... Regards
Adam

Loving The Duchess
The Defender 110 TD5 XS

Post #736002 21st Oct 2018 8:38am
gtmotorsport

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
I purchased a Nanocom for my TD5 and although like already said it's not a necessity, I personally think it's an insurance policy. You hope you never have to use it, but it is nice to be able to see what is going on. As said you have to be able to interpret what you are presented with and not always assume the worst. Had a MAP sensor fault which was purely dirt for instance.
Post #736223 22nd Oct 2018 7:01pm
achuakh

Singapore 2002 Defender 90 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
I have had the nanocom one from the early day and it has done everything i want it to do for my td5. programming the ECU injectors, starting "non-startable" discos to programming the 10AS.

the display in instrument mode responds way faster than the newer nanocom although the navigation using 4 buttons is pretty cumbersome for those who are born in the touch screen era.

remaps are a whole new world, all the nanocom does is upload the map that you have created. having the nanocom doesn't make your car magically faster. it's just a tool to assist in you getting the file onto the eeprom.

having said that, you just need to know what you want to do and get the right tool. From the land of the most expensive land rover defenders on planet earth. At �125k for a XS 110 csw and you get to own it only for 10yrs! Please find me a good reason to stay on this island.
Post #738943 6th Nov 2018 7:05am
Adam17

Thanks guys for the replies.
I'd love one, and I think when I do get one it will be the nanocom. But I just can't spare 400 quid, so if and when the time comes that'll be my choice. 😁 Regards
Adam

Loving The Duchess
The Defender 110 TD5 XS

Post #739075 6th Nov 2018 7:54pm
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
iCarsoft 930. Inexpensive and it works to tell you where to start looking. Like £75. Do a search. It will read and clear all JLR codes on all products including Td5 Defenders.

Good luck Thumbs Up 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #739100 6th Nov 2018 9:13pm
Super7

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Rutland Red
Quote:
Carsoft 930. Inexpensive and it works to tell you where to start looking. Like £75. Do a search. It will read and clear all JLR codes on all products including Td5 Defenders.

Would you know if alarm sytem settings such as interior light delay etc can be changed with the Carsoft 930? '99 TD5 Defender 90
'52 Series 1 80"
'99 Caterham 7
Post #739198 7th Nov 2018 2:44pm
4RF RDS

No you cannot change parameters just read, clear as well as read live data streams, O2 senors, RPM, intake pressure, engine temp etcetera. 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Post #739202 7th Nov 2018 2:54pm
Super7

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Rutland Red
Quote:
No you cannot change parameters just read, clear as well as read live data streams, O2 senors, RPM, intake pressure, engine temp etcetera.

Ok thanks, that's a shame Thumbs Up '99 TD5 Defender 90
'52 Series 1 80"
'99 Caterham 7
Post #739203 7th Nov 2018 2:57pm
4RF RDS

You get what you pay for Laughing 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
1967 MGB GT

Post #739223 7th Nov 2018 5:27pm
Adam17

indeed, that's why ill save for the nanocom.. Buy once buy right, not buy cheap buy twice.. Regards
Adam

Loving The Duchess
The Defender 110 TD5 XS

Post #740017 12th Nov 2018 11:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1