Home > Puma (Tdci) > Dual battery setup
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bergos

Portugal 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Dual battery setup
Hi,
I am planning to make a dual battery setup in my Def.

The objective is to disconnect the starter battery while parked (camping), so that it doesn't get discharged.

The diagram is:

Starter motor and Alternator ---------- Main Battery (+) ---- 150A Fuse ----- Automatic Separator ---- 150A Fuse ------ Leisure battery (+) ---- All cars electrics.

(-)---------------(-) (battery grounds connected)

Now a question to ones who did this - which of the red cables currently attached to the main battery go to the alternator and starter and which power the rest of the Censored in the car? Photos will be appreciated Smile Bergos

LR Defender 110 HT 2007 (2.4 Puma)
https://www.facebook.com/LR.Wanderlust/
Post #724055 18th Aug 2018 12:04am
VeeTee

Netherlands 
I would not know, but that’s not really of interest... because all car related power consumers (headlights, interior lights, blower, etc. etc. keep being powered from the main battery and thus connected to it - it is not commom practice to power the car electrics from the leisure battery. The only function of the separator is to separate the aux battery from the main when the alternator is running. All the leisrure / camping consumers are therefore connected to the aux battery. No need to disconnect ‘the rest’ of the car... Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #724066 18th Aug 2018 7:55am
Bergos

Another question:

If I just put an automatic voltage sensing relay to separate the two batteries do they have to have the same parameters? Can I have a 100Ah main battery and 60Ah leisure battery? Will the charge well or the alternator will get crazy and one will be overcharged? Bergos

Post #734402 12th Oct 2018 7:14pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Re: Dual battery setup
Bergos wrote:
which of the red cables currently attached to the main battery go to the alternator and starter and which power the rest of the Censored in the car? Photos will be appreciated Smile[/b]

Not sure about your MY 2007 but there should be one thick red cable (to starter and alternator) and a thinner brown cable to "the rest".

At least from MY12 it looks like this

At the plus connector there is a 500 A fuse and a 50mm^2 red cable routed to the front and a 10 mm^2 brown one going over to the other seat box.
Post #734410 12th Oct 2018 8:32pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
as to charging:

- two different batteries should be no problem

- apart from connecting "the rest" to the aux battery your setup is the same "as usual",
so have a look e.g. here for important details: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic61567.html

- I'm still unsure why it's uncommon to do it the way you want to do it. Maybe you need a thicker ground cable between the batteries. Anything else?
Post #734417 12th Oct 2018 9:08pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Bergos wrote:
If I just put an automatic voltage sensing relay to separate the two batteries do they have to have the same parameters? Can I have a 100Ah main battery and 60Ah leisure battery? Will the charge well or the alternator will get crazy and one will be overcharged?

That's almost exactly what I installed a few months ago and it works fine. My main battery is the standard LR one and alongside I have a 70Ah leisure battery, linked by a voltage sensing relay. It's worked fine, so far.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #734429 12th Oct 2018 10:30pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
That's a very small second battery, in UK conditions most decent fridges will draw in the order of 1Ah/h, go abroad and you can easily double that. My Waeco CFX75DZW was using about 2.5Ah/h with it set at -10C and +5C in 30-35C ambient last week (it uses a lot less than that when it's colder and thanks to some careful planning I've just parked it up for 4 days and it only used 10Ah to keep the fridge cold at a 20C day/10C night ambient).

Given that you don't want to be dropping a battery below 50% DOD, you're only going to be running a fridge for a day or so in the UK, less if the car is parked somewhere sunny. I've used all the available capacity of my 85Ah battery with my old 40l Snomaster parked for a day in Turin just set to 5C, but it was running pretty much continuously and used more energy doing less cooling than my Waeco.

There's a good logical argument for completely forgetting about a split charge system and just running a pair of batteries in parallel. The argument goes something like this. The cranking amps of a battery don't really drop much at 50% state of charge compared to 100%, unless there's something wrong with your engine if you can start it at 100% you can start it at 50%. Last winter I cold started my car at -5C using a 7 year old battery that had been sat for 3 weeks with a 50mA drain on it. Not as low as 50% but probably not much more than 60%.

Given that it's not good to take more than half the charge out of a battery, a "100Ah" battery has a usable capacity of 50Ah and something like 1000CCA. If you have two such batteries in a conventional dual battery setup your fridge has 50Ah to use and your starter has 1000CCA to use. If you forget about the split charge system and connect them to each other, your fridge now has 100Ah to use (half of the 200Ah total capacity) and your starter has potentially 2000CCA to use. The situation has improved for both leisure use and starting, and the whole setup is simpler. That's how trucks do it.

Would I want to do it like that? The issue is if you accidentally use more energy that you're expecting then you could end up in the middle of nowhere with both batteries flat, and that's an issue.

You might come across people telling you to spend a fortune on a DC/DC battery charger. They have a place but for most people they're a massive waste of money and will slow down your battery charging.
Finally, state of charge monitoring is at best rubbish. There's so much handwaving. The battery voltage tells you approximately nothing, state of charge monitors exist and are better but they're far from perfect. This is a screenshot of mine (a Victron) from a couple of weeks ago.

Click image to enlarge

One thing you could do is put two big batteries in parallel and use the relay on this to disconnect loads when the state of charge drops to save the starter circuit.
Post #735689 19th Oct 2018 12:10pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Mine? It's not huge but serves its' purpose. My fridge, on the other hand, is an old 80l(-ish) Engle and it'll happily run for a couple of days in the UK off that battery, which is all that I need. If I was heading for consistently warmer climates then I'd probably change it, though. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #735691 19th Oct 2018 1:08pm
Bergos

Thank you. I am not using any fridge and I am not intending to do so. So, my power consumers are a few phones and tablets, interior light... that kind of stuff...
I just want to prevent getting stuck.

Cupboard wrote:
That's a very small second battery, in UK conditions most decent fridges will draw in the order of 1Ah/h, go abroad and you can easily double that. My Waeco CFX75DZW was using about 2.5Ah/h with it set at -10C and +5C in 30-35C ambient last week (it uses a lot less than that when it's colder and thanks to some careful planning I've just parked it up for 4 days and it only used 10Ah to keep the fridge cold at a 20C day/10C night ambient).

Given that you don't want to be dropping a battery below 50% DOD, you're only going to be running a fridge for a day or so in the UK, less if the car is parked somewhere sunny. I've used all the available capacity of my 85Ah battery with my old 40l Snomaster parked for a day in Turin just set to 5C, but it was running pretty much continuously and used more energy doing less cooling than my Waeco.

There's a good logical argument for completely forgetting about a split charge system and just running a pair of batteries in parallel. The argument goes something like this. The cranking amps of a battery don't really drop much at 50% state of charge compared to 100%, unless there's something wrong with your engine if you can start it at 100% you can start it at 50%. Last winter I cold started my car at -5C using a 7 year old battery that had been sat for 3 weeks with a 50mA drain on it. Not as low as 50% but probably not much more than 60%.

Given that it's not good to take more than half the charge out of a battery, a "100Ah" battery has a usable capacity of 50Ah and something like 1000CCA. If you have two such batteries in a conventional dual battery setup your fridge has 50Ah to use and your starter has 1000CCA to use. If you forget about the split charge system and connect them to each other, your fridge now has 100Ah to use (half of the 200Ah total capacity) and your starter has potentially 2000CCA to use. The situation has improved for both leisure use and starting, and the whole setup is simpler. That's how trucks do it.

Would I want to do it like that? The issue is if you accidentally use more energy that you're expecting then you could end up in the middle of nowhere with both batteries flat, and that's an issue.

You might come across people telling you to spend a fortune on a DC/DC battery charger. They have a place but for most people they're a massive waste of money and will slow down your battery charging.
Finally, state of charge monitoring is at best rubbish. There's so much handwaving. The battery voltage tells you approximately nothing, state of charge monitors exist and are better but they're far from perfect. This is a screenshot of mine (a Victron) from a couple of weeks ago.

Click image to enlarge

One thing you could do is put two big batteries in parallel and use the relay on this to disconnect loads when the state of charge drops to save the starter circuit.
 Bergos

Post #735695 19th Oct 2018 2:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1