↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Led v halogen ...advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Calder

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 PU Coniston Green
Led v halogen ...advice please
First of all apologies if this question has been asked and answered many times before but... I could really use some guidance and advice. I’m not technical or mechanical. And more importantly i’m not magical either. That is to say I cannot see in the dark... which is why I need to upgrade the headlights on my treasured 2005 TD5 pick up. However I don’t know enough to make a sensible decision. I was thinking that Wipac crystal lamps (£40) with decent halogen bulbs (e.g. Osram night breaker laser...£20) would be a good solution for under £100 (allowing for new stainless bezels and bits). However, it sounds as though the bulbs might fry my electrics over time and that unless I upgrade my wiring i won’t get the best out of the lamps anyway on th basis that they won’t be able to draw the power they need. The posts i’ve read mention loom upgrades. No idea what a loom even is. Like I said, not technical/mechanical/magical. Or made of money for that matter. Some of the LED options are out of my price range. However, the expensive ones make me suspicious of the cheaper ones - such as Britpart’s lynx eye which at £340 isn’t cheap but is just about affordable. I believe the lower power demands of the LEDs would mean my existing wiring wouldn’t need to be upgraded - which of course increases that actual cost of the halogen option. I am going round in circles trying to make a decision. Please would someone put me out of my misery Big Cry and kindly tell me what to do? These are my questions:
1) Will a fancy halogen bulb fry my existing wires over time?
2) Will my existing wires cause a fancy halogen bulb to underperform?
3) Are mid-range mid-price LEDs worth having?
4) Am I right in thinking LEDs avoid the need to upgrade my wiring?

Final bonus question: what the hell is a loom? Sounds menacing,

Thank you in advance for any help and advice. I really would appreciate some guidance from people who actually know what they are talking about.
Post #735187 17th Oct 2018 12:07am
custom90

United Kingdom 
1) No, so long as it's still standard 55w versions I used Philips Extreme years ago which were great.
100w are not legal for road use.

2) No, in fact they should be slightly better than standard fit. Without an upgrade loom however, you won't get full benefit of them with output, I.e. They could do a little better.

3) Compared to higher level offerings I.e Speaker or Nolden it's very questionable. More an image thing than output. Brands mentioned currently have the highest output. I have Nolden so am biased but if it wasn't for these two I'd probably go the Wipac Crystal route.

4) LED's do not require an upgrade loom either, they will reduce the current load to 2.4A approx via the standard switch compared to around 9A as standard load.
It is the current load via the switch which can cause failiure over time, the higher the load the more likely it will cause problems long term.
Without the loom it won't be an issue with LED's, or with a loom with LED's it won't be a problem. So you can have either.

I use a Land Reiziger loom and Noldens on mine, it reduces the switch load again to around 0.3A approx.
But you don't have to do this, I have it because I chose to and reduces the load even further.
It also is backward compatible too with Halogen, not that I will be swapping back.

A loom is simply wiring bundled neatly together with various terminations.
An add in wiring section basically with various terminations and functions.
The key is here with these wiring looms is they are built for you ready to fit, they don't need constructing from scratch which is not difficult but can be time consuming.

Hope this helps a little with your decision. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #735191 17th Oct 2018 12:50am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Crystal clears, and good quality bulbs for me. Thumbs Up
Post #735200 17th Oct 2018 5:06am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I am an absolute Wipac Crystal and upgraded wiring loom fan. This setup has done me proud for many years. For a low cost upgrade you will not get better. When it comes to choosing the wiring loom, buy quality not cheap. The parts used in the budget looms are just not up to spec at all. Tell you the truth if you are handy with the tools the loom is dead simple to DIY.

The problem with quality LED headlights (Speaker or Nolden) is the price, but if you can justify the cost the light output is amazing. I will be posting on this later this week as I have just upgraded to a set of JW Speakers. Shocked Rolling Eyes
Post #735216 17th Oct 2018 7:31am
donmacn

Still looking forward to the 'big reveal' geobloke!

But I have to add my weight to the improved loom option. I put in the Landreiziger option, and the difference in output against the old, standard lights was really significant and well worth having.

What's involved? Essentially 5 steps:
1) fit the relays in a suitable location - drill a small hole in the wing, screw in a self-tapper;
2) find an 'earth point' - you can use the same hole as the relays in step 1
3) connect the power cable to the alternator ( involves taking the alternator cover off, and connecting a cable);
4) connect the plug in the loom to one of the existing headlamp plugs
5) route the wiring to the headlights, and plug the bulbs in.

I would say to be sure you get a loom that fits your engine/layout, rather than buying something else and giving yourself more work in trying to make it fit.

The loom - about £100 I think. New light units and bulbs would be up to you, but I'd fit the loom first and then see if you think you need anything else.

As Steve has said above, even if you go for LEDs in future, the loom doesn't affect that in any way. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #735218 17th Oct 2018 8:22am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
Still looking forward to the 'big reveal' geobloke!

Good grief the natives are getting restless... Whistle Mr. Green
Post #735221 17th Oct 2018 8:40am
Calder

Amazing! Thanks everyone for the speedy and helpful replies. Bow down

I'm worried that I won't be able to upgrade the loom myself. So the cost of doing so means that I'm looking at a bill of £200 on parts + labour = £300-ish.

However, if I go for JW Speaker Evo2, I can pick these up for £460 and fit them myself (I'm not mechanical but even I can operate a screwdriver... famous last words).

For an extra £160 it might be better option in the long run.
Post #735232 17th Oct 2018 9:56am
Calder

Doh!

I haven't allowed for the VAT.
Post #735233 17th Oct 2018 10:01am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
And there you go... Justification... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Just to add to both options (Wipac or Speakers) add another £30 in for stainless steel head light bezels and fixing kit...

There are forum sponsors that might do you a deal (not saying they will mind) if you drop them a line.

If it will help add weight to the Speakers I am happy to do that write-up this evening for you... and Don...
Post #735241 17th Oct 2018 10:25am
custom90

United Kingdom 
I really like LED’s but for price you cannot beat Crystals. I ran them a long time as an intermediate upgrade if that makes sense.
What ever you fit, be sure to get them aligned too. Very cheap to have sorted out. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #735245 17th Oct 2018 10:29am
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Personally wipac crystals and one of the plug in upgrade looms you can get if you're not happy DIYing the wiring. I'm just a fan of halogen light for driving by over LED!
Post #735304 17th Oct 2018 2:18pm
EastFreo

Australia 
I went a loom upgrade and then replaced bulbs with the Phillips Extreme Vision. Found a site called Powerbulbs.com which sells much cheaper than I can get here in Australia and they are shipped usually within days. In fact I ended up going on a bulb replacement frenzy after I saw the difference from the new Phillips bulbs and replaced all our farm Utes as well.
Post #735311 17th Oct 2018 3:05pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Calder wrote:
Amazing! Thanks everyone for the speedy and helpful replies. Bow down

I'm worried that I won't be able to upgrade the loom myself. So the cost of doing so means that I'm looking at a bill of £200 on parts + labour = £300-ish.

200£ cost of the loom? Gold plated wires or what?
The Landreiziger loom with ceramic connectors is yours for 39.50 Euro plus shipping.
Link below.
Eric
https://shop.landreiziger.nl/modificatie/m...toren.html You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #735317 17th Oct 2018 3:39pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
I fitted Wipac crystal with Philips Xtreme bulbs - a significant improvement over standard fitment for about £60. Have got the additional loom but haven't fitted it yet.

Last edited by VVS210 on 17th Oct 2018 4:28pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #735321 17th Oct 2018 3:48pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
I bought wipac crystals / upgraded philips bulb and the loom.

2 years ago I fitted the lenses and bulbs... Not yet fitted the loom as like you don't want to blow anything up.

They are better yes, but jump in my wife's car wil Xeons and they are nowhere near as good.

I'm happy though and not had an issue? another thing to factor in depending upon where you live is that come winter and if we get snow, not sure the LED's are 'as' good as melting as they don't get anything like as hot.

I would be tempted to try the bulbs and lenses first. This was mine after changing one side.

Click image to enlarge
Post #735323 17th Oct 2018 4:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>