↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Another output shaft.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 15 of 18 <123 ... 1415 161718>
Print this entire topic · 
PAT303

Australia 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
This is doing my head in, I've got a serious leak,like the transfer needs topping up every week, it appears to be coming from the front of it, I thought it could be the bottom bolt but the threads are dry. Is there another bolt that passes through the casing into the oil space that needs sealing?. I know it's not from the front seal, because it was leaking like a sieve before, but when I changed the adapter a few months back it was dry inside the extension housing. Any idea's?.
Post #733402 7th Oct 2018 3:21am
Big Harold

Australia 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Alpine White
Intermediate shaft.
Post #733404 7th Oct 2018 5:06am
PAT303

Australia 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Nope, last time I dropped the transfer the input seal, intermediate shaft, bottom bolt thread and extension housing were bone dry. I think I might have a crack in the housing maybe?.
Post #733433 7th Oct 2018 10:56am
R1200GS

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Just to keep this thread alive and relevant, my 2016 90 stripped its output shaft a couple of miles away from home on Saturday. It is a complete show stopper as the vehicle is stranded and I had a lovely grinding noise as the splines could just touch......

Interesting points to note...... No red dust warning signs at all. My 90 had the blue grease drip at new so had definitely been lubricated upon assembly. Very little warning either, pulled away from lights and felt something go. Got about 2 miles further then it stripped rather noisily.

It has covered 16588 miles from new and had been treated very nicely all its life. Just over 2 months out of warranty but it was my decision not to pay the £840 extended warranty fee plus the ridiculous cost of main dealer servicing (£890 for a year 2 service !)

I have gone for the Ashcroft kit as even though there is meant to be a 'new' Land Rover part, if my vehicle didn't have this from new (my chassis number is about 1900 from the end of production) then its even more disappointing.

Also plumped for a new LOF clutch (coin toss between LOF and Clutchfix) and found them very knowledgeable on the phone earlier today when placing my order.

Lets see what comes out when the fix is made later in the week and I will let you know how it now drives etc.
Post #765341 25th Mar 2019 5:13pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
That is exactly how ours "went",...felt something "go" (a bit of a "click"), then a few ks up the road,....no drive,...stranded on the side of the road in 30C+ heat, traffic roaring past, flys etc,...not good......but thankfully in our case all fixed under warranty. Hope your "fix" is good.
Pickles.
Post #765386 25th Mar 2019 8:54pm
Jerry

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
R1200GS wrote:
My 90 had the blue grease drip at new so had definitely been lubricated upon assembly. Very little warning either, pulled away from lights and felt something go. Got about 2 miles further then it stripped rather noisily.

It has covered 16588 miles from new and had been treated very nicely all its life.

This post says a lot - grease makes little difference ...so more likely to be alignment issues. shocking.
Post #765457 26th Mar 2019 12:20pm
R1200GS

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
OK, here's my story.....

Transporter to Safari Engineering, Eversley and the very helpful and knowledgeable Dave to work his magic.

Click image to enlarge

Had the parts sent straight from Ashcroft's and LOF direct and Dave worked a small miracle, fitting me in to his busy work schedule for this week. This is what came out:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

and the clutch as well. Clutch had little wear but all the springs were loose.

Click image to enlarge

and this is what went back in:

Click image to enlarge

This years colour seems to be a sexy red Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge

Picked her up and drove home. Initial impressions are of much reduced driveline slack and a slightly heavier clutch that feels a bit more direct than before.

Only done a handful of miles so time will tell but I feel a LOT happier having had this done. Certainly annoyed that Land Rover could not have made a mod that solved both of these known issues.

A big thank you to Ashcroft Engineering, Luke at LOF Clutches and especially Dave at Safari Engineering for all their help.
Post #765958 29th Mar 2019 2:47pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
i saw another low mileage Puma with an output shaft failure today. From the wear my Indy suspects it had not been correctly fitted by the factory.
Post #795630 28th Sep 2019 4:55pm
Maris Widgeon

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Drive a 65 plate 110 hcpu at work ,had the shaft go on Monday. Just delivered a Bull on the way home changed down going up Birdlip hill (Gloucestershire), made some funny noises managed to nurse it another few miles to get off the main road when it went completely about 10 miles from home. Truck has done 48000 miles. We had a 10 plate that only did 19000 miles when it gave up , our trucks are working trucks but are not abused, thought that the last ones might have been sorted.
Nick.
Post #795655 28th Sep 2019 6:21pm
Shorty53

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Another output shaft failure. After 22k miles on a single track road between Buckden and Hawes in the Yorkshire Dales. A challenging recovery.
Post #809874 11th Jan 2020 8:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Shorty53

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Another output shaft failure. After 22k miles on a single track road between Buckden and Hawes in the Yorkshire Dales. A challenging recovery.
Post #809875 11th Jan 2020 8:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ChrisCSL

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Another output shaft gone in Berkshire. Luckily went (with a clunk) outside a mates house. Could have much more inconvenient.
2014 Puma with 57k miles. Mine looked like the pics above, dry rusty with much spline wear.
Thanks to Ashcroft who sent their upgraded kit to Nick Kerner 4x4 in Winkfield who managed to get the job done in a week for me to collect on Friday. Top job gents, even found a corroded brake line, fixed that and also had an oil service whilst it was in. Great service Thumbs Up

Now got a super smooth drive with virtually no slack. Much improved and recommend Ashcroft upgrade.

Cheers
Chris
Post #810223 14th Jan 2020 6:21pm
Gloucesternige

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Hi everyone,

As some of you will know I have my engine pulled and stripped for various reasons, (2.4), and yesterday decided to pull the box and Transfer box too. On splitting them I have discovered the Output shaft has a lot of "rock" in the cup, but has no radial play. It also appears to have slung oil around the inside of the intermediate casing, kind of in line with the shoulder where the shaft reduces in diameter?

I was expecting to see a rusty mess but all "looks" good. I've had my 90 from new in 2011 and have done only 16000 on road miles.

Any advice on what I'm seeing here please?
Post #810723 17th Jan 2020 3:14pm
Gloucesternige

Jerry wrote:

This post says a lot - grease makes little difference ...so more likely to be alignment issues. shocking.

OK, so if grease makes no difference and alignment cant be altered as it's all dowelled together, will the Ashcroft conversion give longer life?

I believe its an issue along the lines of the output flanges on our wheel hubs. If you use a spline and dont clamp it in place, eventually the load reversals will cause wear? Especially if the materials aren't up to the job? Nige

Check out my You Tube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/Defender90KeswickNigelsLandRoverchannel
Post #813348 3rd Feb 2020 9:05am
Gloucesternige

OK guys, sorry for having three posts in a row, but...

I have put together a little video. here.. If you jump to 12:00 you will see me stripping my output shaft out for the first time. Interesting to see what i found compared to the other pics on this thread..

Now, a question for the output shaft pro's out there.. should I replace this due to the side to side radial play? Nige

Check out my You Tube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/Defender90KeswickNigelsLandRoverchannel
Post #813381 3rd Feb 2020 12:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 15 of 18 <123 ... 1415 161718>