↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 244 of 265 <123 ... 243244245 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Rashers,

I live not too far from Airbus, I think I can guess the soul less place you where in.

As a contracting Engineer I've stayed in so many hotels around the world.

I also forgot to mention the desk chairs are so uncomfortable (Im sat on one right now and my a**e hurts) Off to the bar now I think.

Richard 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #731555 27th Sep 2018 7:34pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Best wishes, Richard

Enjoy whatever the Bar serves Thumbs Up
Post #731563 27th Sep 2018 8:03pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
TDCi fuel filter - what moron 'designed' this?
You really have to wonder about the retard who 'designed' the TDCi fuel system!

My tank developed a slight leak when full, similar to the old breather pipe problems Pumas are famous for. I knew it wasn't one of the usual hose problems since I replaced all mine with good hoses a few years ago, so out came the fuel tank to investigate.

It seems that the leak was due to the outlet and return spigots on the pickup unit rusting and splitting the plastic they're molded into. Pretty poor show, but 11 years and 230k miles takes its toll. So I bought a new pickup (an obscene £230), seal, and retaining ring, and also the hoses that run from the pickup to the filter. Also, since the tank undershield has turned into a horrible diesel-soaked rusty mess I bought a new duralumin one from YRM (a top quality item, much better than the original and a perfect fit).

So this evening I put it all back together. Everything went swimmingly well until I needed to remove the old fuel pipes from the filter head. The first and major problem is that some Einstein decided that the best place for this is directly in front of the rear offside wheel, where it gets plastered in crud. To maximise fully the devastating effect of the crud, the filter is then encapsulated in a pressed steel thing which could have been designed to collect the crud (it has an open top but a bottom plate, so it simply fills up). Then, for added fun, the hose connectors are those feeble plastic "squeeze-the-button" connectors which all cars use, which are great when clean and new, but fundamentally unsuited to an off-road vehicle. Once smothered in concreted crud it becomes impossible the squeeze the release buttons.

Anyway about an hour's work freed off the fuel return pipe. The pickup pipe has a slightly diffferent connector, and after a further half hour the useless plastic spigot it attaches to broke off the filter head rendering the filtr unit scrap. It took a further hour or so to get the two front hoses off the now-useless filter but I did evetually manage it with anything else breaking.

Then the next design masterpiece is revealed - the filter is secured to the backplate of the mud collection device by means of two 100mm long, M8 bolts. The chances of unscrewing an 11 year old, rusted and seized, 100mm long bolt without it shearing are of course next to zero, and both sheared. So then the four M8 setscrews holding the backplate to the chassis have to come out, to allow the sheared ends to be drilled out and the holes Helicoiled. These four screw into nutserts in the chassis, so you can probably guess the next part!

Eventually I did manage to get the backplate off, the chassis fixings repaired, the sheared bolts drilled out and Helicoiled, so it should be quick enough to reassemble as soon as I can get a new filter assembly, but what a hassle! It is no exaggeration to say that sorting out the filter took longer than dropping the tank, replacing the pickup, and refitting the tank altogether.

A totally poxy piece of 'design' and wholly avoidable had even a single brain been applied.
Post #732835 3rd Oct 2018 11:44pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
As you found out Blackwolf, the bolts holding the filter housing are doomed from the start. Mines already been replaced with stainless bolts covered in anti seize compound.
Post #732840 4th Oct 2018 6:44am
Minch90

United Kingdom 
Blackwolf
Loved reading your post as feel your pain/imagine the swearing going on/understand the amazement-dismay at LR design features/similarly wouldn’t drive anything else and love servicing it myself. MrsMinch90 says I’m a moron, spot on really.
R
Post #732843 4th Oct 2018 7:47am
Minch90

United Kingdom 
# Censored
For me I think the worst design feature in series LR is the gap between the rear chassis rails and the bottom of the tub. Just large enough to trap mud, open enough to allow this to remain damp, and close enough to ensure cathodic corrosion can occur. Sterling work.
Post #732844 4th Oct 2018 7:53am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Blackwolf. - I cannot understand why on earth LR used so many stupid captive rivunts and captive nuts.
I can only but assume laziness.

I was looking at the site panel to roof bolts the other day, I was expecting a simple set of flanged bolts with flanged nyloc nuts or similar set up.
Luckily I didn't need to fiddle with them anyway, but to my surprise they are bolts into a rivnut by the look of it.
Of course these are likely to spin, and also corroded too.
There are also many fixings that aren't even BZP finished or any other form of corrosion resistance at all.

Enough to drive you mad, and as you found so many jobs that should be relatively simple to do end up taking twice or triple as long as they need to. Rolling Eyes

On a different note, I'm sick and tired of so many people's attitudes on the roads this autumn.
We have some roadworks around here for 12 weeks, you cannot go anywhere in peace without rat runners though the back lanes and their attitude is unbearable.
The roadworks have been going for 3 months and still a month left.

99% of people are fine, but the lanes get jammed up and there will always be some idiot who will refuse to reverse.
I quite understand if someone isn't highly skilled at doing so in a chain of traffic or needs a little extra time to do so if they don't feel fully confident.
And I don't mind reversing up or giving way for anyone where appropriate.
I cannot however stand those, who belive they shouldn't have to because of their disdain for reversing.
(Normally women, but this isn't my point.)
Or purely refusing to do so, and making arm waving gestures and so on.

It takes so long to get home, its busy - but if everyone plays ball and is courteous to one another we all get home quicker.
Except for a minority. Rolling Eyes

Then you get a main road, a cyclist doing his thing and I overtake and bearing in mind this road is wide enough to overtake regardless of on-coming traffic.
So I do, just before a bend due to obvious lack of vision or I would be in an area where it would be narrower and more dangerous to pass.
The car behind me also decided it was more than suitable as did I.

A BMW comes screaming around the bend in the opposite direction, doing around 65 - 68mph I'd say in the 60 max national limit.
No slowing for the bend at all, what happened to hazard perception?

They can nearly lock their brakes up and flash their lights at me but they couldn't keep their speed down on a blind bend and keep left as everyone should except for if you have a hazard to pass.
Mind you I would have not passed the cyclist if the road was narrower, but you are talking a road here where a HGV could safely pass a cyclist even with on-coming traffic.

Seems to me just like some people get some sort of panic when a Defender is coming the other way.
And many have no perception of spacial awareness and width at all.

At least a lorry driver heading back made up for it all today by really thanking me for backing up for him.
I'd rather drive amongst commercial traffic any day, and am not keen on rush hour or weekend drivers.

Nearly always car drivers too, and always with some kind of 'attitude' which has no place on the Highways. Rolling Eyes Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 3rd Nov 2018 4:10pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #738237 2nd Nov 2018 8:19pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
^^^ Agree with everything you have to say. People in general are becoming more and more rude (supermarket till, airports, high streets, etc etc), but in cars it is faster, more dangerous and more agressive rudeness. So easy to be friendly and polite. As for driving standards in general, people feel too safe and cosetted in their armoured boxes, to worry about details such as spacial awareness, speed, safety of cyclists and pedestrians, road etiquette and decorum (giving way, priority etc). And then there are people who are merely s**t drivers, entirely unaware of their surroundings, their speed (too slow as much as too fast), basic rules of the road etc, drifiting across lanes or stopping on roundabouts as they get overwhelmed by the information on their satnav apps, on phones mounted directly in their line of sight.... Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #738388 3rd Nov 2018 1:42pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
What's this all about, I keep witnessing drivers not using indicators, especially when using a roundabout. Are some drivers so lazy they cannot be bothered flicking the indicator stalk? For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #738390 3rd Nov 2018 1:48pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Oh yes, common here too.
As well as pulling out in front of you instead of giving way at roundabouts, especially trying to 'beat you to it' when they see you coming.

Noticed a definite decline in driving behaviour over the last 3 or 4 months.
Another instance is failiure to ever give way when you signal your intention if you need to change lane say on a busy roundabout.
They will just sit there, one after another of them normally car drivers with the attitude I'm here, in my lane and that's the end of it.

Selfishness to the highest degree.
Won't be long before they'll be fighting over a fuel pump or parking space, oh wait they will already given the chance.
Then try and beat you into the shop to pay for the fuel even. Evil or Very Mad

The joys of living near a liberal city, not. Rolling Eyes Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #738414 3rd Nov 2018 4:16pm
Rashers

"Then try and beat you into the shop to pay for the fuel even"

Now, this doesn't happen very often, but it is something that really winds me up.

I drive the car (or Defender). I pull up at the pump, I fill the thing up, I walk to the shop, I pay. Simple.

Car besides me. Pulls up. Man gets out, starts filling, wifey or girlfriend walks into the shop. Stands at the till, waiting to pay whilst her old man is still filling the car up. Yes, you've guessed it. I am standing behind this women in the queue with the card in my sticky mitten and fuel filler cap on my motor well and truly locked.

It's always the woman that is sent in, never the bloke. I suppose it could be the other way round. don't mind them mixing it up a little, you know when the normality of life goes stale:-

"Well my love, do you want to fill tonight and I pay, or am I going to operate the pump, and you try to remember which way round the card goes in the BP chip and pin card reader? Remember not to go to the till until I have filled it up"

Either way, I don't mind, but don't try paying before the bloomin' car has been filled.
Post #738459 3rd Nov 2018 8:26pm
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Or fill your car up and then proceed to do the weekly shop while your car is still sat at the pump with a queue of waiting cars behind it. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #738460 3rd Nov 2018 8:31pm
Slideywindows

England 
I try not to get too wound up these days, I just let the idiots get on with it.

But that last one ^ does have the power to get me going! Twisted Evil
Post #738463 3rd Nov 2018 8:58pm
stanley

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
It’s just all too peopley out there !
All I’m going to say is ........ bloody fireworks ! .....

A friend of mines gundog !

Click image to enlarge

Been like this for 2 hours . Bless him !
Post #738468 3rd Nov 2018 9:21pm
Rashers

Poor little fella Crying or Very sad

Sorry to be a misery, but I hate fireworks. I will say that a professional display is spectacular. A few rockets in the back garden is pants in comparison. Why would you bother wasting your money? The sooner the things are banded for sale to the general public the better.

Sorry, but that photo is what makes me feel this way. Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, Nov 5th is just celebrating terrorism, isn't it?
Post #738469 3rd Nov 2018 9:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 244 of 265 <123 ... 243244245 ... 263264265>