↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Trans-Pyrenees Road Trip - June 2018
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
FEU DE FER

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Java Black
Trans-Pyrenees Road Trip - June 2018
She who must be obeyed & I are taking the Defender 90 on a road-trip to the Pyrenees in June. Cool
Ferry crossing booked, Pre-Trip Servicing arranged, equipment checked, it's all sorted, so now I get to wonder if i missed owt!
Our plan is to disembark at Bilbao & follow the Sat-Nav East-ish, to St Girons. There-after, "La Chemin de la Liberte" ( a WW2 escape route ) is to be walked. Shocked
Any pearls of wisdom from more seasoned travellers ( especially re. Bilbao ), would be much appreciated.
And if any ex-pat's in the area want to be at all sociable Thumbs Up

Thanks
Post #709015 24th May 2018 9:18pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
If you want somewhere nice to stay, not too far from Bilbao, I always recommend San Sebastián. Got family there. Wonderful little city with great food. Hotel Record has a good location, off street parking and isn’t overly expensive. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #709017 24th May 2018 9:23pm
FEU DE FER

Thanks, I shall check that out. As we dock late afternoon, it would make a lot of sense not to pile straight into the drive.
The Hotel advice is appreciated also - particularly because my Lady gets hideously Sea-Sick Rolling with laughter

Thumbs Up
Post #709020 24th May 2018 9:32pm
FEU DE FER

Hot to Trot
Defender fresh from it's pre-trip Service ( Thanks AJS Bow down ), is now fully loaded for the European Extravaganza.

At a truly unholy hour tomorrow the Doris will be installed in the Left Seat ( where she instantly will Zonk out ) & my drive to Pompey Begins. Very Happy Anyone else on the 0845 Bilbao run, come & say Hi!

Thanks to all on this site who offered advice, very much appreciated. Thumbs Up

Also, anyone else going, ensure you check the "Crit Air" thing ( Cost €5 total - €30 for failing to display! ) and the soon to be reduced Speed Limits in France.

Wish me Luck Troops - I'm Going in!
Cool
Post #713064 18th Jun 2018 7:05pm
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Can I ask what's the "Crit Air" thing as we are off the France soon Very Happy
Post #713123 19th Jun 2018 7:22am
FEU DE FER

Re. Your question
Check out the RAC website or google search, basically is a Emmisions Control system.
Your vehicle will be identified as being of a certain Emmision standard & a Sticker Issued to you.
In conjunction with the App, you are obliged to check if you can travel through certain areas. €300 fine if ignored.
Do not use site’s that charge more than €5 total.
Once your application for a sticker is processsed, they send a printable receipt, just to tide you over.
Got mine back in a week, so don’t panic about time - but, get one as is a €30 spot fine for not displaying.
Post #713125 19th Jun 2018 7:49am
Siwynne

England 
Do you have a link to the site you used for crit air stickers. We are travelling in July and it seems to be €29.65 on the crit.air website
€5 is more attractive
Post #713515 20th Jun 2018 6:49pm
Siwynne

England 
Found it vis rac website. There are Some cheeky websites trying to make a quick euro out there
Post #713516 20th Jun 2018 6:53pm
FEU DE FER

From San Sebastián
Dude, don’t you know it. 👍
Now you need to download the App Green Zones, so you can check each day aheads vehicle sticker clearance. To be honest, my Puma is only Class 2 & I have yet to see an area banning them.
Anyways, I’m into France tomorrow, so au revoire ( & enjoy your trip ).

Regards - Andy
Post #713550 20th Jun 2018 8:44pm
Siwynne

England 
I’ll be travelling in one day about 700 miles plus ferry. In laws live there permanently and run two cars. Both have no crit air sticker on them and nobody in the village our house is in has them. For €5 I’ll get one as running on English plates we are an easy target coming down from Calais to La Souterrainne
Post #713561 20th Jun 2018 9:10pm
FEU DE FER

So.... a month and a bit afterwards & no regrets,

The Defender was superb, positively eating up the Pyrenean tracks & roads. We did see a couple of other Defenders in the St Giron area - apologies if we didn't stop & chat.
Strangely, there seemed to be very few motors with the "Crit-Air" sticker - but, for 5 Euros I am happy not to be a revenue stream Cool

Some observations:

Bilbao Ferry Terminal is a cow to get to if you have taken a scenic route around the coast from ( in my case ) San Sebastian.
Bilbao is a cow to get out of as well. Too many Carriageway reductions causing bottlenecks ( think M27 heading West ).

San Sebastian - Awesome place while the Sun shines, cannot think of much you to do for more than a Day or so..... But, a great stopover venue. Wonderfull Beach, Tapas Bars & I simply have to mention the enormously friendly locals Cool

San Sebastian to St Girons, a great drive punctuated with Toll booths in various formats - Contactless Cards are ideal Thumbs Up

St Girons. Good market day & has a helpful Tourist Information Office. Medieval bit is overplayed, however, is functional and a good place to re-org after a tough hike.

Seix village, Trailhead with outdoor shops & lots of accommodation. Think, is like Braemar or similar.

Andorra trip Sad Really? Good for ( proper ) Duty Free & Ski'ing otherwise I have nothing positive to say. Kind of like Croydon in a volcanic crater. Seriously, we drove 130 Km there, had a McDonalds meal & went back disappointed.

Foix Village - Lovely chilled place, well worth allowing an hour or 3 at. Has a large covered dining/performance area Smile

So, a great trip made better by having the Defender with us. Okay, the £740 return Ferry crossing was ( OUCH! ) steep, but, overall, well worth it.

What can I say, except we are doing it again next year Very Happy
Post #728429 10th Sep 2018 9:46pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Did your camera get stolen?
Post #728451 11th Sep 2018 6:27am
Whirly90

England 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
FEU DE FER wrote:
Andorra trip Sad Really? Good for ( proper ) Duty Free & Ski'ing otherwise I have nothing positive to say. Kind of like Croydon in a volcanic crater. Seriously, we drove 130 Km there, had a McDonalds meal & went back disappointed.

I have to agree with you there, we were in the Pyrenees in June, made a diversion to Andorra and did the same as you, drove straight back out again. We were very unimpressed in general but the standard of driving was unbelievable, don't they have driving tests or a highway code?
Post #728478 11th Sep 2018 11:02am
sharkey964

France 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
^^^^^^
+2, I only go THROUGH Andorra for 2 reasons.
The cheap fuel.
& it where the Smugglers pass Alins ends,a truley stunning track culminating at over 2000m. Thumbs Up
Marc
Post #728499 11th Sep 2018 2:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1