↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Workshop/garden CCTV
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mean Green

Scotland 
Workshop/garden CCTV
I am just finishing my garage build and am thinking about putting in some CCTV cameras to watch over the garage and also the dog kennel which is attached to it. (Outdoor cameras)

I know in general 'you get what you pay for' - but there seems to be a huge range of price for cameras.

Has anyone had any success (or otherwise) with the cheap Ebay cameras from China etc. Pennies saved on things like camera mean more pennies to spend on the 90 Smile
Post #727900 8th Sep 2018 9:37am
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ieGeek-Waterproof...ifi+camera

I installed one when our mare was about to foal in her stables. Can access it from anywhere ( mobile app and pc )

I did put a signal booster ( plug into a socket type ) in the house to help get the signal and the camera is about 40 ft from the booster and works brilliant.

Well worth the money for what it does
Post #727906 8th Sep 2018 10:28am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
I can't recommend anything chinese, I'd recommend a swann kit, i have one and it hooks up to my router, it comes with an app so you can view your cctv live through your phone. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #727907 8th Sep 2018 10:34am
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
If you can hard wire it, there are plenty of good options; if you have to go wifi, stick with a known brand: Nest & Arlo being good starting points. Avoid cheap Chinese brands... quality is poor and most fail rapidly.
Post #727908 8th Sep 2018 10:44am
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
I use eBay ones called time2. Those near the router work fine on Wi-Fi, those either away are hard wired.

They send a pic to my phone if the detect movement and can be controlled remotely from my phone 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #727916 8th Sep 2018 12:35pm
KelvinB

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
I've been using the wifi floodlights and camera from Ring.com We have the doorbell as well and love them both.
It lets you know when someone enters the drive (we have alarms in the lounge and bedroom), and alerts you on your phone. You can then view the camera live, and even set off a siren remotely as well from your phone.
Post #727923 8th Sep 2018 1:51pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Part of my day job is designing and installing CCTV systems for a brewery in their sites.

Quite often I have to (try) to upgrade or replace an already wired in system. Usually it's SWANN stuff that the landlord has got cheap and "his mate" installed.... so cables attached with staples/blue tack (or just draped over light fittings Rolling Eyes )

I consider SWANN stuff to be "ok".... just that, ok... not brilliant but not totally rubbish. I use systemQ (unfortunately only sell to the trade) but their equipment is the same as Hickvision (with the DVRs and NVR's using slightly different software to Hickvisions, but hardware is pretty much the same.)

Trouble with the swann stuff is the pre made cables are generally a bit too short, or about 100' too long, so you end up with loads of it stuffed somewhere which looks untidy. Plus they are pre moulded, so eventhough the cable is really thin, you still need a hole big enough to fit the BNC connector though (which is about 14~15mm) so looks untidy when fitted sometimes.
Plus, the really thin cables give a fair voltage drop. They're OK for the supplied cameras, but as soon as you try to upgrade to a decent one with decent IR LED's on it, they'll cut out when it gets dark as the IR's cause the voltage dorp which shuts the camera down, or they sit there resetting all the time.

My personal preferance is to make your own cables up. EIther use cat5/6 with a BALUNs (you can get away with just using a twisted pair for the AV and another couple of pairs for the power) or the proper shotgun stuff.

If it's a fresh clean install you're doing (as opposed to piggybacking onto an already present system), I'd say go IP every time... picture quality is soo much sharper (although the range of IP cameras isn't as big (at the moment) as analogue)
If you do go IP, dont be too tempted to just "plug it in" to your existing network.. try and run, if possible, a second CCTV only run oof cables (unless you're running gigabit) otherwise as you add more cameras you'll end up slowing the main network down, especially if you stream TV/films through it.
Post #727924 8th Sep 2018 1:55pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Hikvision camera, dome type surface mount. Cabled up with Cat5 to a POE switch so only one cable required. DVR is a synology NAS running the built in surveillance station.

For the garage where its difficult to cable with Cat5 (or beyond 100ft from the router), I run the camera to a POE powerplug in the garage which brings the data back to the house.
Post #728141 9th Sep 2018 7:10pm
Stu_XS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I can't agree that all Chinese stuff is poor.

I run two of these to a synology system myself and a friend of mine also has two connected to his synology box. Image quality is excellent, even at night.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1920-1080P...38124.html

If you want something in the UK these are good. Read the reviews and it seems well known they are Hikvision hardware and can take the Hikvision firmware.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072KMVK43/

If you want something with an NVR for a reasonable price I know people that are using Reolink stuff and it works well.

As above POE is the way forward. Stu...

2013 Aintree Green 90 XS SW 2.2 Puma
Post #728156 9th Sep 2018 7:40pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
All the well known (expensive) brands have their stuff made in china anyway!

The problem I've found with the cheap ones is if they rely on a phone app to set them up and control them, then the phone apps aren't always kept up to date. Or if they bring out a new camera model they bring out a totally new app that isn't backwards compatible.
Post #728193 9th Sep 2018 9:39pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Depends what you want, whether just live stream or recording... Then whether you want cloud recording or local saving, and whether you want 24 hour recording or event recording (where it only saves if it spots motion)

I have a Netatmo presence wifi camera (which is also a floodlight) on the front of the house which is amazing - can't recommend it enough! It 'just works' out of the box and is very user friendly. You can set it to record people, animals vehicles or any combination of the three, can access it remotely to view live stream and recorded events, saves to local SD card and backs up to dropbox (free)

I also have Hikvision Hiwatch system consisting of lots of cameras in various locations around the property which is also good but less user friendly than the Netatmo. This is a DVR system so saves to a hard drive inside the recorder (which is hidden away somewhere in the house!) Cameras are wired through Power over Ethernet (PoE - means one single network cable carries both power and data). This can also be accessed remotely and can be configured to record 24 hours or event based.

Horses for courses really, wifi systems are simple to install but have their limitiations obviously, hard wired are more robust but more labour intensive to install!
Post #728209 10th Sep 2018 4:45am
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
I run a Lilin system that I put together.
Not cheap but it really works & picture quality is excellent. I have augmented the system with additional IR illuminations.
To be fair they weren’t necessary but I am building a network that is as robust as I can make it.
It is an IP system using 8mp & 4 mp cameras. It is only when you zoom in that you will start to see what you are paying for;
I would strongly suggest that you buy quality & add to it as & when rather than trying to do it all in one hit.
Guy May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #728225 10th Sep 2018 6:37am
Mean Green

Scotland 
Thanks for all the recommendations - more reading required! Smile

I does not need to be anything too fancy - just a camera to watch over the dog kennel/pen - which will also cover the side door of the garage.
Post #728575 12th Sep 2018 6:57am
ssg

United Kingdom 
Take a look at Arlo Pro. I have 3 around my place and they work very well. Not the cheapest but wireless so very simple to install and the app can be accessed from anywhere.
Post #728587 12th Sep 2018 8:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1