↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > What Fuel Tank do I need? 200tdi Richard chassis, TD5 mounts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
windy81

Wales 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Firenze Red
What Fuel Tank do I need? 200tdi Richard chassis, TD5 mounts
I've looked into this and I'm not entirely sure what tank will fit my chassis so here I am asking if anyone has already done this or knows about it already.

It's basically a brand new Defender 90, 200tdi Richards chassis with optional extra of having rear TD5 fuel tank mounts.

At the time I thought is an awesome way to add an auxiliary tank for much more range.

However, looking for Defender 90 TD5 tanks i could only find 2nd hand ones and not many at that, mostly on Eb ay.
Not at all happy about that because for whatever reason i need to replace the tank, i won't be able to simply buy one off the shelf.

Will the Puma Defender 90 (2.2 and 2.4) tank fit? even though Richards specify its a TD5 tank mounts ?

Thanks
Post #726103 29th Aug 2018 4:36pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
If it has the standard TD5 fuel tank mountings then the standard TD5 plastic tank will fit. Though you may have to purchase a fuel tank cradle and various other brackets. If you are not in any rush most Land Rover breakers have TD5 tanks, in fact, the last time I visited a breaker they had about thirty of them piled high.

You may find this a help.
https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/71138-td5-fuel-tank-in-200tdi/

Click image to enlarge
 For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #726107 29th Aug 2018 4:49pm
windy81

Thanks Gilarion,

looking on Paddocks, all Defender 90 tanks are the same as front mounted ones i.e. same as i already have

Every other one is a 110 or 130 tank.... I mean why is that ?

You know the main reason is the availability of new parts, anywhere in the world if I needed it. Having a stack of 2nd hand ones in a UK scrapyard isn't my idea of future proofed.

Also don't want to end up with a bespoke pipework situation for a tank that will be impossible to source in the distant future.

Maybe i'm too pedantic....
Post #726115 29th Aug 2018 5:05pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Unless you puncture it you are unlikely to ever need to replace the tank. The plastic one don’t rust like then earlier metal ones do. No need to buy new either, for the same reason. Good condition second hand will do fine.

A Tdci tank is as far as I am aware the same as a Td5 one in terms of fitment. And having a Tdi you’ll actually need to use the Tdci sender & fuel pickup unit as the Td5 one has a pump in which you won’t need.

You will end up with a ‘custom’ arrangement to some degree but it’s just two lengths of 5/16” fuel hose and your changeover gubbins so hardly difficult. Or you could fit a transfer pump.
Post #726127 29th Aug 2018 5:45pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Sorry forgot to post the part number for the fuel tank which is available from all the usual stockists

Fuel Tank 90 TD5
WHK100040

Pricey though... For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #726137 29th Aug 2018 6:04pm
windy81

Retroanaconda wrote:
Unless you puncture it you are unlikely to ever need to replace the tank. The plastic one don’t rust like then earlier metal ones do. No need to buy new either, for the same reason. Good condition second hand will do fine.

A Tdci tank is as far as I am aware the same as a Td5 one in terms of fitment. And having a Tdi you’ll actually need to use the Tdci sender & fuel pickup unit as the Td5 one has a pump in which you won’t need.

You will end up with a ‘custom’ arrangement to some degree but it’s just two lengths of 5/16” fuel hose and your changeover gubbins so hardly difficult. Or you could fit a transfer pump.

Would i be able to jerry rig the td5 pump/sender/pickup unit to pump into the primary tank i wonder ?

From what i can gather the td5 has a high pressure and low pressure loop, could these be bypassed into each other and put on a switch ?
Post #726146 29th Aug 2018 6:19pm
Andy80

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Hi, I have a good used 90 Td5 Tank and Craddle

Click image to enlarge

Pm if intreasted

Thanks

Andy Working towards Carry on camping!
Post #726147 29th Aug 2018 6:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1