↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Insurance Advice Required
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
need4speed

Insurance Advice Required
Made a bit of a faux pas today. Long story short reversed my transit custom into back corner of Audi.

Stupid mistake. Entirely my fault. Audi was parked with no occupants.

Was told by a resident what house the car belonged to. Girl answered the door. I explained what happened. She explained that the car belonged to a friend of her husband but they were both away from home. I left my details and continued on my way.

How does it work with insurance these days? Am I legally required to inform my insurance company? Reason I ask is that my van doesn’t look too bad and I reckon a local coach work could repair it for far less than my £500 excess which I really can’t afford right now.

Also, I’m a little surprised I haven’t had so much as a text yet from owner.

Do I have options? Or do I need to call insurance company and get robbed. 4.6 RV8 110HT
Post #724404 20th Aug 2018 4:44pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You are legally required to provide your name and address to the other party. I am not certain but think you are legally required to provide details of your insurer to the other party if they ask for it. You are contractually required to notify your insurance company whether or not a claim is forthcoming and generally in the future you will be required to notify any insurance company you are asking for a quotation unless no claim arises and they specifically ask about claims rather than accidents.

You do not have to make a claim on your insurance but you cannot stop the other party (or most likely their insurer) from claiming ftom your insurer. Unless the damage is utterly trivial, they are vety good natured, or they have something to hide (it's an uninsured "pool car" for a drug distribution network, for example) it is highly likely your insurer will find out and it is probably less harmful if they hear it from you.

Incidentally you should never admit fault or liability, again you are contractually required in this regard, even though in a situation like this it is hard to avoid.

It's never good news, I am afraid.
Post #724419 20th Aug 2018 5:28pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Perhaps the A plan chaps can weigh in on the legalities but as I understand it insurance companies say you should never admit liability and state your claim may be rejected if you do.

However in a case like yours where there was nobody in t he vehicle it would be a criminal offence not to inform the owner that you damaged his car with your van.

Moral of the story. Insurance companies are Censored .
Post #724427 20th Aug 2018 5:45pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Need4speed, I hope you took photographs of damage to both vehicles and the actual scene of the collision.

Now a quote from Winch taken from here

Quote:

Yes - if you've been in an accident, you do have to tell your insurer. You should send your insurer a letter telling them what's happened.

But make it crystal clear that this is for ‘information only’ and that you don’t wish to make a claim.

This should ensure your insurer doesn’t settle with the other party's insurer without your knowledge.

Brendan
Post #724443 20th Aug 2018 6:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1