↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Engine tapping at idle on TDCI 2.4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Digby08

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Engine tapping at idle on TDCI 2.4
Hi all this is my first post due to a ‘proper’ issue finally arrising with my landie.

She’s a 110 with 86,000 on the clock. Last week, I turned the vehicle on only to hear a new, fairly loud tapping noise coming from what sounded like the top engine. On investigation, I saw injectors 2, 3 and 4 were leaking so stripped down, refurbished the injectors, cleaned the seats and resealed everything with a new transit copper washer and rubber gasket kit. However, on start up the tapping is still there Crying or Very sad So, next port of call, I hook up a newly purchased Hawkeye Total and have a look for any DTCs and a read of the live data at idle. No DTCs but a couple of read outs that I’m slightly unsure of?!

Hawkeye Total live data:

Line 13. Rail Pressure 80,000 kPA (?!!!)
Line 14. Rail Pressure 23,000 kPA

Can anyone enlighten me as to what these two different read outs are and if the first one seems ridiculously high?! Faulty sensor perhaps?

I also tried to do an injector pilot learn but it’s not allowing me to do so saying ‘injector learn not done - general checksum failure’. Thought this may be due to the read outs?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated Thumbs Up
Post #722977 12th Aug 2018 9:16am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
I've only done the injector thing myself (and do wonder if you got new clamp bolts? .. you didn't mention them).

But have you checked the fuel rail pressure relief valve hasn't blown? Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #723703 16th Aug 2018 1:41am
ozzie1989

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
Not sure about the Hawkeye readings but you should have two fuel pressure readings, one actual and one expected. In my experience actual is slightly lower than expected but I'm no expert.

Does the Hawkeye give you any more info on those two read outs?

Again I'm no expert but would think either the copper washers are still not dealing (e.g. you didn't clean the seats when you changed them) or your VCV is on it's way out - search on the forum for VCV and you'll get lots of info. Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Then: 2004 2.5 TD5 90 Hard Top (X-Tech Edition)
Post #723732 16th Aug 2018 9:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1