↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2009 tdci intermittent underboost and limp mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
erm........no now you come to mention it Embarassed

my 1st turbo went before year 3. now almost year and still going strong. I suspected the issue may have been due to driving like miss daisy and causing a carbon buildup.

my dad's disco 3 was getting through turbo every 3 years. last fitted and egr's removed at the same time. he was advised due to removal of egr's shouldn't be a problem going forward.

all made sense up to the point of you explaining how Laughing

now I'm confussleld ?

I'm guessing due to a lesser burn with the egr open ie a cooler burner there's more soot?
Post #722627 10th Aug 2018 8:13am
Tdi4

Netherlands 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
On my last trip the studs between the turbo and the exhaust manifold came loose again Evil or Very Mad This problem results in the same error code and symptoms.

If this is the problem it's a lot cheaper Thumbs Up a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #722655 10th Aug 2018 11:22am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mata

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Definitely sticking veins.

As much as I’d love to put an upgraded turbo on it when you add up the cost of it with a bigger intercooler, boost hoses and another remap I can’t justify it.

AET turbos have a recon unit in stock £395 + VAT and a gasket set for £10. I think that and oil feed and drain pipes should see me right. Fingers crossed, would t be the first time I’ve thrown money at it and not resolved a fault!
Post #722657 10th Aug 2018 11:32am
mata

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Right, time for an update i feel.

I got a recon turbo off AET turbos, £395 + VAT and £10 for a gasket set plus £120 for a genuine LR oil feed pipe. The service from AET was great and the turbo looked brand new. Fitted it with my mechanic, the oil feed pipe was unexpectedly tricky requiring quite a lot of ancillary disassembly to get to the end that joins the engine. I'm glad i didn't try and do it on my own on the drive lets put it that way!

Anyway, fault gone and the engine is stronger than ever.

I do have a reoccurring engine management light though, happened twice now, first time was loads of codes which i didn't clear from cranking the engine with various bits unplugged to be able to crank the engine without it firing to prime the oil supply to the new turbo, i assumed it might have been a culmination of lots of faults that threw up the EML. Yesterday however the EML returned and the only fault logged is P1103 Intermittent MAF in range but higher than expected. Now, i normally have this fault in the log but i've not had it cause an EML before. It is a brand new genuine LR sensor i tried before i found the turbo fault but I'm at a loss as to what to try to remedy it.

Anyone with any ideas? Thanks.
Post #725440 26th Aug 2018 1:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123