↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Proctas Defender 300TDI
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 43 of 54 <123 ... 424344 ... 525354>
Print this entire topic · 
Procta

United Kingdom 
Profyaffle wrote:
Thumbs Up thats a good result.. all cheap fixes and not too arduous... I'll be needing to have a look over Alan soon before his MOT...

beware the MOT is now a lot more picky or it could be this MOT tester like. Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #722068 7th Aug 2018 7:02pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
L110CDL wrote:
Yes please Procta, just let me know how much you want for the postage ? Many thanks Thumbs Up

Ok, i will get those, from the landy when i get it back. I have them still in the original bag. Give me a PM of your address, Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #722099 7th Aug 2018 9:20pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Been over this morning to drop off a couple of items to get it through its mot, The lad recons the timing belt is the original one Shocked He had a right nightmare of a job getting the pulley off! so its been a ticking time bomb on me.
A few other things have been picked up, but I am going to get them to give it a once over, i told them the bodges etc that we have come a cross. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #722173 8th Aug 2018 9:18am
shayes

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Coniston Green
Good move with the timing belt. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up When I got grover at 104,000 miles 2 years ago, I had the garage change the belt and a few other bits as part of the deal. Last years MOT went well with a few advisories for bushes that needed attention, so following that MOT it was straight back to my garage (Tredown) for them to change these bushes and put the blanking plate on the EGR. This year it sailed through again but had an advisory for a slightly frayed driver seat belt, common thing as they get caught in the drivers door. Thing is I've changed my doors to series doors and it doesn't seem to be a problem any more. I'll get a lighter on the fraying to resolve this issue and get some new belts in due course.
Liking the new wheels, well done chap, Very Happy Very Happy
Post #722180 8th Aug 2018 9:40am
Procta

United Kingdom 
Mine has been picked up on the seatbelt fray too on the driver side, I may change that this year once I have got my money back up. Been bloody expensive this month! I have nearly spent well over 1k on the car in a matter for days!
The thing I have found with mine, it stated it was serviced at 90k, but I think all they did was change the oil and filters. The brakes had not been seen to in a hell of a long time, and those were in such a bad way when we looked at them. One of the rears had packed up! Also not to mention the MOT it had when I bought it, There were some major failures, a ball joint that had failed, a rear damper that had leaked oil, a major fuel leak, rot on the chassis, ( they had fixed one side) a glued seatbelt stalk. ( I found this out last month)
Even though it was the best out of the 5 we looked at, it still hasn't been looked after at all, well properly anyway.
So the past 2 years I have it, its all about ironing out these things, and dealing with more problems. I have had to save up the budget to get the proper wheels on the car! The old ones were lethal in the wet and snow! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #722206 8th Aug 2018 10:58am
L110CDL

England 
As said, easy fixes and not big expensive ones Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #722380 8th Aug 2018 8:50pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Looks like the garage is milking this like, I haven't put any tabs on the bearings................... well there is a photo on here with them on! we did reuse the old ones as I remember Rolling Eyes so looks like they have Censored something but not letting on Rolling Eyes Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #722484 9th Aug 2018 11:52am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Procta wrote:
Mine has been picked up on the seatbelt fray too on the driver side, I may change that this year once I have got my money back up. Been bloody expensive this month! I have nearly spent well over 1k on the car in a matter for days!
The thing I have found with mine, it stated it was serviced at 90k, but I think all they did was change the oil and filters. The brakes had not been seen to in a hell of a long time, and those were in such a bad way when we looked at them. One of the rears had packed up! Also not to mention the MOT it had when I bought it, There were some major failures, a ball joint that had failed, a rear damper that had leaked oil, a major fuel leak, rot on the chassis, ( they had fixed one side) a glued seatbelt stalk. ( I found this out last month)
Even though it was the best out of the 5 we looked at, it still hasn't been looked after at all, well properly anyway.
So the past 2 years I have it, its all about ironing out these things, and dealing with more problems. I have had to save up the budget to get the proper wheels on the car! The old ones were lethal in the wet and snow!

I think it’s just defender that cost a fortune to run Big Cry mine is well looked after, if it needs it, it gets it, but it’s still cost about 2k in the last three months or so Big Cry Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #722538 9th Aug 2018 4:54pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I think we are well close to 600 to 800 now for the mot, Rolling Eyes Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #722639 10th Aug 2018 8:43am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
What are the issues with it?
Post #722663 10th Aug 2018 11:31am
Procta

United Kingdom 
well I went over today as it should have been done today, turns out its still in bits, Shocked The stub axle on the front passenger side, has been damaged. So it wont let the bearing tighten up, also the spacers were not the correct ones either. So those have had to be changed all round.
We did get a full bearing kit with the spacers, so either we have been given the wrong spacers with the kit who knows, on that one. Going back to the stub axel, who ever has serviced it before us, as damaged it. The tester said the end has been damaged with tools, looks like they may have tried to de burr it or something. So it wasn't letting the bearing tighten up as it should. So we wouldn't have known anyway on that one, So they have had to order more parts off. so looks like we could be back with it on Tuesday or even Wednesday.

Retroanaconda it failed on a spit full of items ( like loose wheel bearings and the drag link and two daft things) So I let the garage deal with that, but its turned out to be more of a job. So Christ knows how much in labour its going to cost! Sad
Timing belt has not been changed at all, and was the original one on! Shocked
So the garage who has been looking after this before me, has been taking the Censored out of the owner, the MOT tester shook his head when I told him what we have found. He said the trouble is too many places are doing this sort of thing sadly. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #722941 11th Aug 2018 8:18pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
For things like timing belts etc I think it's always best to ask the garage to see the old items and in this day and age they should be able to take a photo to at least show you they've had the timing cover off!

Hopefully the garage it's at now will sort everything properly Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #722960 11th Aug 2018 9:49pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I did ask to see the belt, grafty Thumbs Up as I had my suspected its not been changed, Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #722966 11th Aug 2018 11:46pm
shayes

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Coniston Green
Procta,

Only time will tell if you have found a 'good' garage. If they resolve the issues you have highlighted then those jobs will then be done. No one likes spending out unnecessarily but completed jobs are all 'tick off' items. Wish list and other items you covert have to go on the back burner. Safety first in my book.
I must have found a good one with Grover. He had lived a hard life in the Dales prior to coming down to Devon. He's not good looking but all the oily bits were in good order and had been maintained- thankfully! before I took him on.
Good garages- one's you have faith in, are hard to find but once found that relationship need to be cultivated. I find cream cakes and a good sense of humor have helped me. Bodywork I can have a go at but oily bits cause my eyes cloud over.
Carry on the good work.
Cheers, Simon Thumbs Up
Post #722972 12th Aug 2018 7:22am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
You could have saved a bunch of cash by just getting the garage to do the MOT and then fixing the rest yourself? The only way to know the quality of the work being done on your car is to do it yourself.
Post #722981 12th Aug 2018 8:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 43 of 54 <123 ... 424344 ... 525354>