↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > North America & Canada > Shipping from uk to canada
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Geoff51

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Barolo Black
Shipping from uk to canada
I am contemplating shipping my Puma 90 from the Uk to Vancouver, and then spending about 5 months driving across Canada to Nova Scotia.
Does anyone have any experience of this type of trip?
What are the rules about temporarily importing a uk vehicle into Canada.
Any route suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Geoff. 90 Puma 2.4
Overland travels.
Post #608651 11th Mar 2017 3:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Geoff, I will check with the local insurers about the rules for bringing in your truck temporarily. We see lots of vehicles from Europe through here in the summer months doing North American trips.

I can help you out with your BC route planning at a minimum, and give you a hand around Vancouver for sure. it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #608683 11th Mar 2017 5:45pm
Geoff51

Trans Canada.
Many thanks. 90 Puma 2.4
Overland travels.
Post #608699 11th Mar 2017 6:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveFLS

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Blenheim Silver
Shipping from UK to Canada
Hi Geoff, will follow this with interest as am hoping to tour Canada and USA next year but at present undecided whether to take my bike or the Landie..Cheers Steve
Post #720683 31st Jul 2018 1:07pm
Hendrix

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
We also looking at trip to N America next year. Just to make sure we get no visa issues with duration and border hopping will be at USA embassy next week to organise visa
Post #721018 2nd Aug 2018 12:16pm
Bespoke1

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Schumacker is a company ive used sevelal times.
Post #917754 19th Aug 2021 1:38pm
Geoff51

Many thanks.
i am beginning to think this trip might be possible in 2022
geoff 90 Puma 2.4
Overland travels.
Post #917921 20th Aug 2021 8:43am
donmacn

Though I haven't posted here, I guess I must have decided to 'watch' the topic.

THis would certainly be something I'd be happy to consider.

Just for information's sake, does anyone have a rough or 'ballpark' figure for shipping a Defender over? Guessing it would most likely arrive in Halifax?

Apart from transit insurance (included in shipping maybe?) there would be motor insurance for Canada. Is there any vehicle inspection regime - similar to the forensic cleaning that Aus. and particularly NZ require for vehicles coming in?

I guess some rough info and figures now would let me know whether this was a 'go-er' or not.

Ta Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #917946 20th Aug 2021 9:57am
Jhollow

Canada 
Having recently done this I thought I would add my experience. My 90 didn't come from the UK but Germany, but the procedure would still be the same. I dealt with IVSS (International Vehicle Shipping Services) who are based out of the UK and were extremely helpful and made the entire shipping process somewhat effortless. My 90 was shipped from Zeebrugge, Belgium to Halifax, Nova Scotia. It made a stop in Southampton before continuing on to Halifax. Total on board time was 10 days. If you are shipping to Vancouver I expect the time would be considerably longer as it would no doubt have many more stops. My 90 was not just put on some cargo ship. They are shipped on specialized vehicle carriers, most of which are new vehicles being shipped from Europe to North America. They can carry between 5000 and 8000 vehicles. I used RORO (Roll On Roll Off) as this was considerably cheaper than putting it in a container. And since all the new vehicles were being shipped the same way I figured mine was safe.

You will be asked when you want to ship it, the type of vehicle, its dimensions and gross vehicle weight and then they will give you an option as to which port you to want to use (I could have also shipped out of Antwerp). You are responsible for getting it to the port. The port will typically accept the vehicle within 10 working days of the sailing date. IT MUST BE SPOTLESS if going to Canada. This includes the undercarriage and wheel wells. It is inspected upon landing in Canada to make sure there is no dirt, soil or other contaminants. If they find dirt it will be put aside for further inspection and cleaning, at your cost. Best to get it steam cleaned before shipping. Also nothing loose can be carried inside the vehicle. So don't load it up with parts before shipping. Fuel tank also needs to be near empty.

IVSS supplied detailed preparation and predelivery instructions. What to do and when. While you can deliver the vehicle within 10 days of shipping, that doesn't mean it will leave when they say. The ports are extremely busy and backed up. My initial sail date was June 5 but it actually didn't leave port until July 3rd. That was due to delays at the the port in Bremerhaven, where my transport was coming from. I was not charged any additional fees for having my 90 at the Zeebrugge port for so long. They told me this was an unusually long delay and apologized they couldn't do anything about it due to the port congestion. I expect this will get better with time. You can visit their web site to get constant updates to sailing date.

IVSS looks after all the paperwork including the outgoing customs forms. My total cost, including insurance was 2182 Euros. You don't get invoiced until the carrier is underway. This included the soil inspection fee on the Canadian end. For an additional $250 they would have taken care of the importation paperwork but I chose to do it myself and it was very easy. I don't know what is required if you are bringing a vehicle over for temporary use but I expect you will not have to pay any duty or taxes.

IVSS also provides complete instructions on what you need to do and when on the landing side. Once the ship has arrived in Halifax it takes a day or two before it is released by the carrier. IVSS gives you the carriers web site info so you can track the ship and see when your vehicle has arrived and been released. Then it's just contacting the port to pick it up. They say they require 24 hrs but I was able to do it in a few hours. Halifax is typically one stop on their route so unloading happens pretty quickly once the ship arrives. My carrier landed on a Saturday and it had left port for New York within 24 hrs. I went to the carriers web site early Monday morning (I arrived in Halifax on Sunday afternoon) and noted my 90 had been released by 8 a.m. You can't go to Canada Customs until it has been released. You are wasting your time if you go before. I immediately went to Canada Customs and had the importation papers completed by 8:45. You need 2 copies of everything. I sent copies to the carrier by text so they could arrange for my pickup. I went to U-Haul and picked up my auto carrier and had the 90 loaded before noon. I was very lucky to get everything to work so well. I had expected to have to wait until Tuesday to pick up the 90. They set an appointment because they bring your vehicle out from the port holding area. If your vehicle sits there for more than 3 or 4 days they will charge you storage fees.

Having never done this before I was pretty stressed but it tuned out to be a very easy process. The only downside was having to wait almost a month between the scheduled and actual sailing dates. I had to keep changing hotel reservations. I eventually just waited until it had set sail. Sailing times can vary between 8 and 16 days, depending on how many ports it visits between pickup and drop off. The web site will tell you the expected landing date. Keep in mind this is for my start and stop destinations and will be different for others. I expect someone shipping out of Southampton and picking up in Halifax would have only to wait maybe 6 days.

Hopefully this is helpful. Now that I know what is involved I would most certainly do it again if the opportunity arose.

I should mention that my 90 is a 2006 so it met the older than 15 years requirement for importing a vehicle. I know in the US it is 25 years.
Post #960931 7th Aug 2022 2:48pm
theheffman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Cairns Blue
Hi

I am looking at shipping my Defender TD5 to Vancouver , looking to move there from the UK.

The question i have is how to get the truck from Halifax to Vancouver. The RORO ships arrive in Halifax from the UK, i assume I would need to get it on a train to Vancouver somehow .

Anyone done this before ?

thanks
John
Post #971174 14th Nov 2022 10:16pm
Jhollow

Canada 
John, I see you are from Bath. My sister and her husband just moved to Canada from Bath.

Anyway, I see 3 options and you would have to price them out to see which was more economical, if that mattered.

1. Arrange to have it shipped by boat to Vancouver. A very long trip with multiple stops. Length of time would be many weeks depending on the number of stops and any delays along the way. Can be done as I know someone that shipped their car from Australia to Los Angeles and back. None the worse for wear other than covered in dust and a dead battery.
2. Ship to Halifax and then arrange land transfer (train or vehicle transporter) to Vancouver. Probably 6 days by boat but then maybe another 4 weeks+ by land.
3. Ship to Halifax and then drive it yourself to Vancouver. This would be an epic trip and you would see the country from one coast to the other. It's a 6000 km journey one way however, so your vehicle would need to be up to snuff and allow yourself at least 2 weeks because there will be places you will want to stop.

The shipping company can probably help you will the land part if you go via Halifax. 2006 90 originally registered in Italy
Post #971184 15th Nov 2022 2:47am
theheffman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Cairns Blue
thanks for your response , shipping to Vancouver is about £8k . So not really an option.

so will to find a way of transporting my 90 overland to vancouver.

thanks
John
Post #971274 15th Nov 2022 10:25pm
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
You just need to find a trusted individual who fancies a trans Canada drive in a Defender! JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #971320 16th Nov 2022 12:17pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
You just need to find a trusted individual who fancies a trans Canada drive in a Defender!

First dibs...! Rolling Eyes
Post #971354 16th Nov 2022 4:23pm
FoxHodgess

United States 1995 Defender 90 BMW M52 2.8i Petrol HT Buckingham Blue
Hey Geoff and John, I have done a similar trip before, shipping my car from the UK to Canada and then driving across the country. It's definitely a fun adventure! As for the rules on temporarily importing a UK vehicle into Canada, you will need to obtain a Temporary Import Permit (TIP) from the Canada Border Services Agency. You can do this online or at the border when you enter the country. Make sure you have all of the necessary documents and paperwork with you, including the vehicle's registration and proof of ownership. As for getting your vehicle from Halifax to Vancouver, you might want to consider using a car hauling dispatch service. They can handle all of the logistics and transport your vehicle safely and efficiently. You could also look into shipping your vehicle by train, but it might be more expensive and time-consuming. Good luck with your trips!

Last edited by FoxHodgess on 5th Jan 2023 9:13am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #976671 4th Jan 2023 1:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>