↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > The definitive Defender ICE thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 63 of 69 <123 ... 626364 ... 676869>
Print this entire topic · 
buckers19

1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Barolo Black
Ngins, I mounted my sub under the cubby due to not having sufficient space behind the cubby as there was the bulkhead (300tdi 90). I used the mud sub locker, I found that there was insufficient space space around the sub once in the enclosure to be blue to run the cable out the bottom of the locker. The was I did it was remove one of the slats from the rear grille using a combination of a drill and file and then drilled a sutiable sized hole through the floor (unsure if that’s the correct term) and then routed the wires through that hole and then into the battery box through the ventilation hole.

Appreciate you may not have the same holes being a later model but it should work. Attached is a poor picture of the job.

Click image to enlarge
Post #705047 3rd May 2018 6:51pm
buckers19

1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Barolo Black
Ps, it sounds fine as I mounted my cubby on two bits of wood to raise it up a little so the sub wasn’t firing directly into the base of the cubby.
Post #705048 3rd May 2018 6:52pm
ngins

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Thanks for the replies on all fronts and the photos - very useful!!
Post #705072 3rd May 2018 8:05pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Personally I run my battery box power feed though the existing cable rubber glands in the battery box.
Think the vertical panel nearest the gearbox.

Unless your running bigger than 4ga (AWG) there should be enough room as standard.
Use a convoluted non split tubing, with an M20 ip68 cable gland drilled though the under cubby access panel.
If you leave enough slack in the power feed run the panel can still be used for access if needed.

This way, this panel is replaceable if you wanted to easily rather than drilling the body which is a one way street mod, once it's done it's done.
There are often existing holes and blanks free in the battery box you can use without drilling anywhere there.

From an acoustic point of view, under the cubby is not ideal at all and ventilation can be a concern.
The rear of cubby is popular, or if you have a bulkhead as I do myself as well.
I would mount in that area, directly to the bulkhead as it is very solid it'll have the best effect.

Ultimately we all do everything differently though. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #705113 3rd May 2018 9:42pm
ngins

Thanks so much - thats all really great info and I didn't know the access panel was replaceable so thats great info.
I have seen the various cubby boxes and I thought it might not be ideal - especially with all the junk I have rattling around in the cubby to add to the acoustics too! Smile
Post #705175 4th May 2018 9:00am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Hoping to get back to my project shortly once I've finished fiddling with Prop UJ's.
It's just the weather and painting to be done as well. Very Happy

Anyone else up to anything audio related at all? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #709601 28th May 2018 5:57pm
ngins

....still yet to start but gearing up for it....would be interested to see what you get up to and I'll post when I finally get going.
Post #709603 28th May 2018 6:06pm
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
custom90steve wrote:
Hoping to get back to my project shortly once I've finished fiddling with Prop UJ's.
It's just the weather and painting to be done as well. Very Happy

Anyone else up to anything audio related at all?

Audio related... Always looking for feedback on this... Rolling Eyes

http://www.defender2.net/forum/post713715.html#713715 it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #713717 21st Jun 2018 5:46pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Does anyone know where you can get 6.5" door speaker spacer rings?
The ones that follow the doors contour and into the little rececessed ridge like this:

Click image to enlarge

La Salle do actual door cards, with built in accommodation for upto 6.5" but at Β£228 or so the pair I'm reluctant to go down that route.
There is very very little visual difference between rings and the La Salle in my opinion so doesn't justify the price and painting to match is an option.
Metra in the USA have some decent ones in 1/2" deep and 1" deep, but it doesn't appear to follow the door card contour and would face slightly to the floor.

*EDITED* It would also be useful to know how much depth there is to play with as standard due to the door window mechanism but I doubt anyone's knows or can remember. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #714201 24th Jun 2018 4:56pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I was lucky enough to get a pair off ken on here, I don’t think they are available anymore. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #714248 24th Jun 2018 8:45pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ Looks like the job for someone with a 3D printer and some skill Smile
Post #714257 24th Jun 2018 9:04pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Indeed, they don't seem to be an off the shelf item anymore.
I think they were fitted to 50th Annv or at least some models and some NAS 90's in the past.
(So I have read online.)

I suppose I could get some 1" ones and cut to fit but quite a bit of jiggery pokery involved.
It seems they are just slightly angled and with the little ridge in.

The La Salle door cards are nice but the cost is just too high in my opinion, if they were half that or near I'd be going for them.

Might have to get the fibreglass out instead! Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #714263 24th Jun 2018 9:34pm
LRDefenderGR

Greece 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Arles Blue
jont wrote:
Managed to get a few more bits done today Very Happy

Spliced the tweeter wiring in to the loom...

Click image to enlarge

Fitted the cage into the new dash frame...

Click image to enlarge

Moved over the switches from the old silver XS dash...

Click image to enlarge

All switches connected and fitted...

Click image to enlarge

Tweeters in place...

Click image to enlarge

Just the sub to wire up now - have fitted to back of the cubby box !

Hi,

Is that Pioneer device, standard depth dimension? Around 16cm?
Does the TD5 Defender has this allowance when using the Raptor Dash?

Thanks

Nick
Post #720315 29th Jul 2018 8:37pm
ngins

Finally got phase 1 done
Hi All,

I finally got phase 1 done. Many Many thanks to all those who answered questions in this forum before I started - it made it so much easier. I am calling it phase 1 as I was running out of hours to complete things to I had to make some decisions as to how much I could get done. The main items I DID get done (in about a day in total with occasional 'help' from two under 5s):
Fit MUD Sublocker under cubby
Fit Focal Ibus 2.1 Subwoofer/2Ch Amp
Fit Focal ES 100K Woofers and Tweeters In Front
Fit Focal PC130 In rear

The main things I didn't do - I haven't run better speaker/power amp wiring anywhere yet and I used all the stock wiring harness on the Focal Ibus2.1 - at the end of the day, its what came out of the box, but I would still usually upgrade it, but I ran into enough time sapping issues along the way (mainly as it was first time around) that I had to make some decisions to get going.
I haven't added any sound proofing yet - but then I also expect a reasonable level of rattle from it and the idea here was to get usable audio more than anything.
Box of crimps/lucars, Heat Shrink, Grommets, Soldering Iron as well as a very long, heavy-duty cable tie to pull stuff through holes with were my essential extra tools.

General observation - Amazed how many holes there are about the place blocked up from the factory with LR duck tape - but very handy to reuse.

Some photos attached where I think they may be useful to others - I have lots more so if there is any particular interest then PM me and happy to share if I have one.

Overall very pleased. All the updates made a massive difference I haven't tuned the sub properly yet and I appreciate that under the cubby its compromised but it seems well vented and has lots of space around it for the wiring etc.

Cheers
Neil
The kit to go in - looks simple in the boxes...

Click image to enlarge

Access Plate under the Cubby with existing LR hole and some extras...(thanks @custom90steve for the tip)

Click image to enlarge

Using Existing grommet in battery box as suggested by @custom90steve:

Click image to enlarge

Wiring pulled through Sub Locker base:

Click image to enlarge

Trusty Cable Tie pulling wiring through to head unit (had to use some taped up split conduit/tube as I ran out of unsplit - but the unspilt is far better. Anyone eagle eyed may spot the missing couple of speaker wires I somehow lost inside the conduit along the way (grrr)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Sub Cubby All in Place - I added thumb screws for the front faceplate as I am still tweaking settings so it makes access easier - will likely change out for normal machine screws once I am done.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Insanely big crossover:

Click image to enlarge

Front ES100

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Rears

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Sorry if this is over the top - hope its helpful to others - I really do appreciate all the help and advice on this forum!
N
Post #720421 30th Jul 2018 10:59am
Hall46

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Perfect timing! Have been looking at this thread for the past month trying to decide what I want to do as I am going to sound deaden and upgrade my sound at the same time.

If you have the extra photos I would be interested to see them to hopefully speed up install time.

Is it worth the cost/effort of upgrading the speaker wires or is this more for an audiophobe? I am just looking for a less flat sound.

Where did you source the speakers from?
Post #720524 30th Jul 2018 7:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 63 of 69 <123 ... 626364 ... 676869>