Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre speed rating K
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Fabio

Portugal 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Tyre speed rating K
Gentlemen,
I went to recharge my aircon and they Told me that the speed rating on my tyres isn't correct...
Because it is K.
The tyres have on them 123/120K load range E.
Is this suitable for the defender?
I have had the tyres for nearly 2 years.
It might sound bit of a stupid question but I have used the search and can't seem to find an answer.
Thank you

Fabio
Post #714048 23rd Jun 2018 5:30pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
In the UK the speed rating is not required to be higher than the speed you are travelling.

Many, many years ago it was the case that if, for example, you bought a car capable of 120MPH and then fitted tyres rated at 100MPH you could be prosecuted in a 30MPH limit, simply for having tyres fitted that didn't exceed the theoretical top speed of the car. Some people still maintain this is still law, it's not though.

Fortunately the law was changed and if you have tyres that are rated above the speed you are travelling, there's no issue. Assuming your tyres are K rated, it does mean you would be breaking the law if you exceed 68MPH on them.

The load rating is the 123/120 part, load range E is just an extra guide to that.

In short, the garage is wrong. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #714058 23rd Jun 2018 6:12pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
What tyres are you actually running on?

Max speed limit in UK is 70mph and max speed of standard Defender is 90mph.

K speed rating is 68mph. Whilst it might be legal to have a tyre speed rating below maximum speed limit in the UK it is not what I personally would choose. An accident especially at high speed, especially if tyres were considered to be a contributory factor would give an insurance company a get out of jail car FOC if tyre speed rating is lower then UK speed limit.

I would imagine that best advice would be that the tyre speed rating matched or exceeded the top speed of your vehicle.

Have just checked speed rating on our BFG M/T and those are Q rated at 99 mph.

An explanation of load/speed rating can be found HERE

Brendan
Post #714066 23rd Jun 2018 7:01pm
davew

I'd hazard a guess that they are Cooper STT Pro 265/75R 16

Strangely they are rated K but the 235/85R 16 of teh same tyre are rated as Q, which is why I have 235/85 on mine that don't match the Yokohama Geolander MTs on the back that are 265/75R 16 and also rated Q ! http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #714109 23rd Jun 2018 9:45pm
Fabio

Morning Gents.
Thanks for the replies.
Yes I do have the 265 cooper stt pro.
It never crossed my mind that the tyres would not be suitable for the defender...
Are all these tyres(265 cooper stt pro) rated K?
I don’t want to change them although I wouldn’t buy it again.
Next time I’ll go for all terrains.
Any ideas on what to do? Or should I forget about it?
Fabio
Post #714136 24th Jun 2018 8:27am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Have a good look at the tyres. Check tyre for tyre tread depth, cracking between the tread blocks and circular cracking close to the rim. Also check age of tyre, which is a 4 figure code which gives week number and year of manufacture. Tyre industry advice seems to be to replace tyres when they are 7 years old as tyres do age and become more prone to punctures.

Where did you go for the aircon recharge? Was it one of these national chains which sell tyres as well by any chance?

Go to a good local independent LR garage (one not particularly tyre selling) and ask their advice?

Consider your driving, if local pottering about on country lanes or frequent high speed lane 3 driving on motorways? If the latter I would change tyres for a Q rating. If the former I would keep speed down and carefully check tyres and contents of my wallet.

Brendan
Post #714140 24th Jun 2018 8:56am
Fabio

Brendan, where the aircon was done they also do tyres. I can't remember the name...
I do travel to Portugal once or twice a year, will go again in August.
But the speed I normally travel at is about 70.
There is nothing wrong with tyres. I bought them new in September 2016.
And I don't want change them now. It would mean having to buy new ones and trying to sell these that have done 15000 miles if that and the spare is new.
A lot of hassle.
Unless I found someone that was willing to exchange theirs with me.
I'm confused really.
Thank you for the reply.
Fabio
Post #714146 24th Jun 2018 9:19am
davew

Fabio wrote:
Morning Gents.
Thanks for the replies.
Yes I do have the 265 cooper stt pro.
It never crossed my mind that the tyres would not be suitable for the defender...
Are all these tyres(265 cooper stt pro) rated K?
I don’t want to change them although I wouldn’t buy it again.
Next time I’ll go for all terrains.
Any ideas on what to do? Or should I forget about it?
Fabio

I would forget about it unless you're planning on travelling fully laden at 90MPH everywhere, something to bear in mind though when they do come to be renewed. It's strange that the 265/75 have such a low speed rating. 235/85, same pattern, same year, same manufacturer are rated Q, same as most mud and AT tyres.

I've often wondered if it was a mistake in the marking but if you look at their full range for the STT Pro around half a dozen, seemingly random, sizes are K rated and the rest are Q. Out of around 30 sizes, 5 or 6 of them are K rated. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #714158 24th Jun 2018 10:46am
leeds

United Kingdom 
For an explanation of tyre markings have a read of this . Would suggest you check the age code on your tyre for actual age rather then time on vehicle. I think the tyre manufacturers recommend maximum of 2 years storage life before a tyre is fitted to a vehicle. Different recommendations for tyre life come from different bodies typically around the 5/6/7 year mark. Some of those bodies are tyre manufacturers so would have knowledge of tyre failures but could also be accused of having a vested interest.

Whilst we use BFG tyres I have noticed increase in punctures (sometimes slow punctures) on older tyres around the 7/8 year age. They are then also showing signs of crazing/cracking so I choose to replace them even if tyre depth is above legal minimum

The tyre speed rating is the legal limit that the tyre is safe for under load. K is 68mph so keep motorway speed down to 65mph and you should be fine.

Brendan
Post #714166 24th Jun 2018 11:24am
Fabio

Afternoon gentlemen,
Dave, I think I am going to do that.
I don’t exactly speed even on long journeys I do tend to keep to that sort of speed.

Brendan I have had a look at the tyres and all are 2016, from week 13 to 21.
I will keep to the 70mph and will keep looking at the tyres, making sure they aren’t going to fall apart.
I would just like to say that if anyone is thinking of buying these tyres be aware of this issue.

Thank you Dave and Brendan.

Fabio
Post #714179 24th Jun 2018 1:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1