↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback > Based in Bristol but where to go for service?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tommyharris

2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Based in Bristol but where to go for service?
Chaps,

bought my 2013 defender with 9k on from Maidstone landrover. (not going back but that's another story)

where can I go for a reliable genuine service? the 90 was off the road for a few years apparently due to family illness hence low miles.

I will travel anywhere in the country for the right service as I bought this truck as an investment. Also keen on ensuring all recalls have been carried out as I just don't believe the kent dealers.

As soon as its out of warranty I will service myself but until then?

regards tom
Post #712991 18th Jun 2018 1:08pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I use Devon 4x4 and they’ll happily use Genuine parts and spec fluids etc etc. They can also do bits and pieces and upgrades if you wanted where others won’t Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #712997 18th Jun 2018 1:20pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Just over the bridge are Promec. Do a search on the forum and you will find many happy customers

https://promec4x4.co.uk/
Post #713003 18th Jun 2018 2:27pm
walfy

There are several options, Guy Salmon in Bristol, friendly and really helpful, Steve Hill in Brislington, used him for some warranty work, there is another LR workshop on the N side of Brizzle, they lost their dealership status because they didn't want to spend gazillions on a shiny new dealership so only have a workshop now. The daughter of the owner works at Guy Salmon.
I use a mates garage in Somerset, but he's a Volvo dealership so not sure if he would welcome a load of LR heading his way

MJ Fews is the dealership I couldn't remember earlier 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #713047 18th Jun 2018 5:47pm
Welshsurferdude

Wales 
Try matt goodman of latitude overland based in severn beach, their work is supremely high quality and they have very active facebook company page. they are doing a nut and bolt rebuild on a 110 and it looks amazing! Mr. Green 2008 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)

2015 Discovery 4.5 Black pack Firenze red XS

2008 Corris Grey 110 XS USW (sold)

2011 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)
Post #713054 18th Jun 2018 6:39pm
Tommyharris

Thank you for the replies chaps,

I think screen surround will need addressing so will prob stick to main dealer I think, then when out of warranty try one of your independent recommendations.

So at the moment it's guy salmon or mj fews.

The reason I'm paranoid about it all is when I picked up 90 from dealers they said it was serviced, now like said the 90 had been stood for a few years mind. When home after the 3 hour drive dipped oil and jet black and also filter canister covered in cobwebs! So for piece of mind fresh oil and filters. Then a week of motorway work equaling total distance from dealers and guess what crystal clear oil!

Lovely coffee mind whilst waiting for collection Rolling with laughter
Post #713118 19th Jun 2018 6:29am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Hope you've got a chequebook ready GS charge like no other I've known for high prices mind you. Shocked
MJ Few's seem okay, but I only went up once for a recall but all seemed okay. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #713185 19th Jun 2018 2:50pm
Tommyharris

Would mj fews be reluctant to carry out warranty work though if they are no longer a main dealer?
Post #713186 19th Jun 2018 3:00pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Possibly, when I went up there was a good few years now. Best thing to do is ask really.

I had a £1370 bill from GS in 2014 for a new clutch and rear diff oil seal andoinion replacement.
Imho that was very excessive and wanted nearly £600 for a Waterpump replacement and couldn't even tell me where it was leaking from other than "it was cracked somewhere".
I replaced it myself with quality parts for no more than £120. Rolling Eyes

Inspected it and it was the gasket, not replaceable (I wasn't going to rebuild it.) but all the same but it certainly wasn't cracked.

And finally after my clutch was done, I had electrical issues a few months ago.
They had left the main earth strap to the transferbox loose and dirty, so gave me all the sash flashing like a Christmas tree and no idicators and issues such as this.
After paying that much money and for 'technicians' and proclaimed experts I'd have expected better.
If I was in that position again I'd seriously consider transport down to D44, have the job done and transport back and it'd be probably still cheaper and a job complete s with better care and attention.

And servicing costs are just madness, so this is why I tend to avoid them.

Oh and to cap it all off this happened the year my dad passed away suddenly and I really desperately needed a courtesy and they kept persisting they apparently 'had none in'.....
Rubbish, take one look at you because I was what 22 at the time and nah no way they thought.
So as you can probably imagine I'm not and never have been impressed unfortunately. Confused Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #713206 19th Jun 2018 4:13pm
Tommyharris

I'm so tempted to take the gamble and start servicing myself!

I can assure you though my luck it'll throw a rod through the block or gearbox locks up!

Seriously though thank you all for the advice, I have till Dec till the service and 18 months of warranty left

I shall have a sleep on it.

Regards tom
Post #713292 19th Jun 2018 8:18pm
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Good indépendant & a buddy of mine, Tom Parkes range 4X4 in Bristol:

http://www.orange4x4.co.uk Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #713340 19th Jun 2018 9:32pm
walfy

custom90steve wrote:
Possibly, when I went up there was a good few years now. Best thing to do is ask really.

I had a £1370 bill from GS in 2014 for a new clutch and rear diff oil seal andoinion replacement.
Imho that was very excessive and wanted nearly £600 for a Waterpump replacement and couldn't even tell me where it was leaking from other than "it was cracked somewhere".
I replaced it myself with quality parts for no more than £120. Rolling Eyes

Inspected it and it was the gasket, not replaceable (I wasn't going to rebuild it.) but all the same but it certainly wasn't cracked.

And finally after my clutch was done, I had electrical issues a few months ago.
They had left the main earth strap to the transferbox loose and dirty, so gave me all the sash flashing like a Christmas tree and no idicators and issues such as this.
After paying that much money and for 'technicians' and proclaimed experts I'd have expected better.
If I was in that position again I'd seriously consider transport down to D44, have the job done and transport back and it'd be probably still cheaper and a job complete s with better care and attention.

And servicing costs are just madness, so this is why I tend to avoid them.

Oh and to cap it all off this happened the year my dad passed away suddenly and I really desperately needed a courtesy and they kept persisting they apparently 'had none in'.....
Rubbish, take one look at you because I was what 22 at the time and nah no way they thought.
So as you can probably imagine I'm not and never have been impressed unfortunately. Confused

And then the other side of the coin.
I've never had bad service from them. Been in for loads of warranty work and little niggles that I could probably of solved myself but couldn't be bothered. Never been let down with a courtesy car. Even though I only have a Defender and not their target audience, I've always had an Evoque or higher. Had an Ewok for 4 weeks back along when they couldn't find the issue.
But then it helps that I have a bit of banter with the business manager, him being ex RAF and me ex Army. And I've also been conducting their H&S training for the last 3 years acros all 3 dealerships thay have in Brizzle, LR, Jag and Lexus 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #717659 14th Jul 2018 1:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1