↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > landy wont start / immobiliser problem? 10AS unit problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
This happen 8 months ago and I could not find any information regarding this break down it was the first one Chris had fixed so things could well of moved on by now .
Post #712392 14th Jun 2018 8:26pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I suspect the newer alarm isn't actually a 10AS if the wiring is different. Although it may use the same design of plastic casing.

10AS was the Lucas model number, there was also a 5AS used on most of the Rover cars from 1995-2003ish - same basic unit just a lower spec in the sense it didn't do interior lighting controls. There was a 3AS before that.
Post #712406 14th Jun 2018 9:51pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Anyone who works on these commerciallly I would think will know the workaround. There’s a few different problems with different years including clusters, ignitions and 10AS boxes. There is also software updates on pumas with autologic which you cannot do at home...sorry Confused

I’ve already posted how to fix the clusters on here and how to repair and modify the 10AS box...I can’t give everything away for free man - I have to eat Laughing Mr. Green
Post #712412 14th Jun 2018 10:39pm
matluma

Australia 2009 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Corris Grey
Great! In the name of supporting commercial interest, I'll have to ship my car over to the UK to get it fixed rather than have someone help.
Post #712746 17th Jun 2018 8:42am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Security is such a problem that you will find (as you are getting here) that people won't just hand out sensitive info like this on a public forum.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #712749 17th Jun 2018 8:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
legin

matluma why don't you PM him so keeps very one out of the loop Idea
Post #712766 17th Jun 2018 11:37am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
matluma wrote:
Great! In the name of supporting commercial interest, I'll have to ship my car over to the UK to get it fixed rather than have someone help.

I'm sure a PM so it doesn't get broadcast to everyone might get a different response, maybe even the offer of a small PayPal donation for his time - you can buy someone a beer even from Australia. Wink
Post #712771 17th Jun 2018 12:29pm
NickMc

Hang on until I stick my 30k worth of Autologic, DOIP VCI, the 25 years of experience and the username & passwords to my yearly subscriptions at a few thousand £ in envelope and send it out to you with 1 post Thumbs Up Rolling Eyes

I suspect CSK has asked someone in the know and they’ve told him how to fix it and he’s told you oh “I had to do XYZ”. More than likely he doesn’t want you to know how he fixed it either because then it becomes common knowledge.

From a trade point of view:

I’m fed up with how much we have to outlay now to repair vehicles and then you get someone that goes “I know you’ve a professional workshop and all the experience, tools and equipment, but I read on the internet Rolling Eyes if I clear this code and change 15 parts it might fix it and I won’t have to pay £45 to that poxy stroking mechanic with all his overheads and experience Rolling Eyes I can fix it in my driveway with a £8 code reader by clearing the code....aye jog on mate. There’s just somethings that can’t be fixed at “home” that’s life. I’ve seen the other side of the coin too, the guy that’s a “Land Rover expert” talks a great game and the customer laps it up and the standard of work is well below par. Or the DIYer who knows everything and has the most amazing defender- you look at it below the surface and it’s a death trap and he’s taking his children out in it. I’m sure some of us will still remember a infamous news story and a Land Rover forum that no longer exists that a member welded his own suspension on and ended up in a river?!?

Would you read how to preform surgery on google and have a go yourself??????

That’s life now everyone wants everything right now for nothing and a miracle fix. If you think posting a brief discription of an intermittent electrical fault on the internet and getting a miracle fix is realistically going to happen you are deluded, you would be better off asking the birds in the trees outside. I suspect you’ve googled and searched and tried everything you’ve read fiddled with everything and ended up here still with no success?

“All the gear no ideas” Rolling Eyes

Sorry for the rant folks, but this grinds my gears I read a lot of bad misinformation daily and bite my tongue, on a few occasions I have pm’d people even to fix something Thumbs Up

If you really want to see smart and get rid of the electronics on this engine, fit a Bosch VE Pump like they’ve done on the transit forum Rolling with laughter

Am I going to post how to hack a Defender alarm and bypass it on here for the world to see...no Rolling Eyes

Last edited by NickMc on 17th Jun 2018 9:38pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #712838 17th Jun 2018 5:13pm
legin

NickMc The feller is from the USA and is never going to be your customer never going take any custom away from you so why not help which is why I thought the PM was the best route to go ,as for Chris at CSK he did tell me how but I don't mend cars for a living which why I put he's name up on this forum a couple of times and I know he's now fix a few of them and hopefully had a few £'s,I also run my own firm and know what it's like to have put your hand in your own pocket for stock,tools and knowledge but some times it's nice to give a little bit back it could give you a more approachable face to your business in the UK ,but it is your knowledge and you have very right to hold on to it.I don't know the CSK 6x6 story so I'm at a lost there.I hope you see why I recommend a PM to matluma so he could discuss the repair and cost in private and not on a open forum.Regards Nigel Wood
Post #712863 17th Jun 2018 6:20pm
NickMc

If someone on here with more than one post asked ,yes I probably would be more helpful as I have been plenty of other times Thumbs Up Like the chap last week who i sent the electrical manual too, dug out and dismantled two 10AS boxes for a checked if you could interchange, and give him the number of a guy in New York who has the diagnostic gear. Or the guy te other week who I helped fix his clock set saving him £300 buying another one for a few drops of solder? Or the poor man I passed on the way home last week at the side of the road broken down, who I turned round and got him on his way again...it was the one post wonders attitude annoyed me.

What I’m trying to say is if you’ve already messed about with an intermittent alarm, without electrical knowledge and some way of reading live data or the security system software and editing it or an oscilloscope to watch the CAN lines (which in that case you probably wouldn’t need help) you’re not going to fix it. People just stating “pull this relay out, change this, unplug this” are only making it harder for the person to repair it. In an intermittent fault the worst thing you can do is fiddle with things. If you don’t know how to test- it’s a guess.

This guy from his profile Lives in Melbourne, plenty of good techs out there!
Post #712942 17th Jun 2018 9:53pm
matluma

Australia 2009 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Corris Grey
Well. it was simplified by the posts being written on here.

All I was asking for was a PM, as it was stated that it would not be publicised.
From there, it could have been discussed, and if financial incentive was needed to answer some Q's, it could have been done off of the public forum.
It was suggested that there was a simple bypass solution and I requested to know as I wanted to solve the same problem others were having.
Anyone could have also PM'd me if you needed to "check my credentials" or know how much I help the world.

Not what I was expecting.
Now seems like its a platform for amazing experts to keep telling others how amazing they are.
First is the demise of the Defender wave and now the defender community.
Post #712952 18th Jun 2018 12:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12