↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 53 of 84 <123 ... 525354 ... 828384>
Print this entire topic · 
windy81

Wales 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Firenze Red
Had a look at Dinitrol and thought it was so very expensive and opted for the cheaper (almost 1/2 the price) Bilt Hamber instead which you recommended and people do rate it seems.
Specifically the :-

5L brown coloured Dynax S50 for inside the chassis and bulkhead.
and
5L clear Dynax UC for the exterior.

10 liters i think should be enough.

If anyone's interested I'll keep this updated ??
Post #711250 7th Jun 2018 2:26pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Sounds like you got a good deal on the Bilt Hamber or rather serious supply problems of Dinitrol is pushing up the prices. Getting hold of Dinitrol is very tricky now. Some are selling old stuff at inflated prices on EBay!

Good luck with the job, Bilt Hamber will do it for you Thumbs Up

Last edited by Zagato on 11th Jun 2018 9:50am. Edited 3 times in total
Post #711374 8th Jun 2018 6:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Just a reminder from seeing a few more "blowing" hinges these days. Don,t forget to treat the area between the bulkhead and hinge with ACF-50 (the upper part of the hinge shown in the picture. You can see the gap widening between the bulkhead and hinge). If you look at your hinges very carefully most of you will see rust staining in between the bulkhead and the plate on the hinge where it is welded and is bare metal between the surfaces! You notice it more down the sides of the plates. You don,t want to start having to weld in fresh metal in that area Shocked

Click image to enlarge
Post #711642 9th Jun 2018 9:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Heads up on long awaited new stocks of Dinitrol. It came into the country recently, over half of it already sold to folks that have been waiting weeks and months through Rejel. The lack of supply has caused chaos for businesses, a real worry in the industry. Luckily I always keep a good supply for clients but I did run aout this week but just had a huge delivery, as much they would let me buy. It is expected prices will rocket for the next delivery, as much as 30-40% on some products so if you are thinking of doing your Defender yourself anytime in the future I would order some whilst the stocks last. Thumbs Up
Post #712470 15th Jun 2018 3:13pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
This was an interesting comparison. I recently had two 4 year old Defenders in at the same time. One had not been treated from new and you can the results of how aggressive salt roads can be (it lived in Scotland). The second one I did straight out of the box from new, had not even been driven on the road and was treated with ACF-50, it,s like new despite it also seeing a lot of salt. Just a reminder to folks that still have decent rear crossmembers, give it an occasional spray with ACF-50 and you won,t need to go through the hassle of future repeated paint applications.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Love the above Adventure model, it is used as intended in the UK but spends a lot of it,s time in Switzerland ploughing through salt and snow. It,s in really nice top condition. I wouldn,t mind owning it Very Happy
Post #719789 26th Jul 2018 8:10am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I have not been very good at taking pics of clients cars but here is Stu-XS, definitely worth a pic Cool

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Zagato on 26th Jul 2018 8:43pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #719868 26th Jul 2018 7:00pm
Stu_XS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Great job on the car Chris. Thanks for all of your hard work, it looks great.

Very nice to have met you and thanks for being so flexible in accommodating the job.

I really should have washed the car before bringing it to you, luckily it doesn’t look too bad in the picture. Laughing Stu...

2013 Aintree Green 90 XS SW 2.2 Puma
Post #719884 26th Jul 2018 8:01pm
nitram17

Zagato wrote:
This was an interesting comparison. I recently had two 4 year old Defenders in at the same time. One had not been treated from new and you can the results of how aggressive salt roads can be (it lived in Scotland). The second one I did straight out of the box from new, had not even been driven on the road and was treated with ACF-50, it,s like new despite it also seeing a lot of salt. Just a reminder to folks that still have decent rear crossmembers, give it an occasional spray with ACF-50 and you won,t need to go through the hassle of future repeated paint applications.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Love the above Adventure model, it is used as intended in the UK but spends a lot of it,s time in Switzerland ploughing through salt and snow. It,s in really nice top condition. I wouldn,t mind owning it Very Happy

Z....mine is 4 years old in October and the crossmember has been covered in afc from day one.........the paint on the crossmember is not black anymore more a see through brown bronze colour.......or wouldn't paint it under warranty...... I will put a pick on later........I was worried it was the afc fault .....but I guess it's or crap paint standards.
Post #720850 1st Aug 2018 1:24pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Odd Nitram! Perhaps some kind of barrier like a polish is preventing the ACF-50 from soaking through the porous paint to kill any rust starting to come through from behind. Something nasty like Demon Shine or what the drive in hand car wash places use would give a horrid petroleum/oil based barrier (strips dirt, wax etc and just puts a layer of oil on so causing water droplets so it looks like it is waxed and protected but of course gives no protection, let alone the brick acid cleaner they spray all over your wheels Rolling Eyes ). You also have to plaster it on, best not to wipe off and do it regularly. There is a pic somewhere of a Defender that came to me that had it,s crossmember taken back to bare metal and it stayed that way despite it launching RIBs into the sea daily for work. The owner sprayed it every week, incredible Shocked

You could of course always keep it covered Laughing I will show you what is hidden under there later, a 5000 mile beauty Cool I want this one as well Embarassed

Click image to enlarge
Post #720950 2nd Aug 2018 6:47am
nitram17

nitram17 wrote:
Zagato wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Z....mine is 4 years old in October and the crossmember has been covered in afc from day one.........the paint on the crossmember is not black anymore more a see through brown bronze colour.......or wouldn't paint it under warranty...... I will put a pick on later........I was worried it was the afc fault .....but I guess it's or crap paint standards.

Hi z ..please see phote of my rear crossmember .as i value your opinion ..4 years old in october and covered in acf from new!I wouldnt mind your opinion on the second photo which is of the bulkhead just below windscreen blocks.(ignore brown staining as it is a trick of the light)i have just noticed a couple of small raised areas i am not sure if its paint spray problem or the starting of corrosion..im sure they are a new phenomenon so im concerned its corrosion .....bukhead was sprayed from new with wax?Any ideas ,should i just leave it and keep an eye on it or start poking about?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #721154 2nd Aug 2018 10:04pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Hmm cannot tell from a picture what the spot is in or under the paintwork. You were right about your rear crossmember, the paint is so thin it has just worn away (the sun wouldn,t help either) exposing bare metal and exposing LR for not priming the chassis metal at all Rolling Eyes As an aside, for some reason window frames on 2014's are particularly bad for corrosion in the corners, 90% have it by now. Top tip for any young budding entrepreneurs, save your pocket money and buy as many new window frames as you can fit under your bed as they are going to be very sought after if LR ever stop making them!
Post #721179 3rd Aug 2018 7:16am
nitram17

Hi z sorry for the rubbish photo I didn't realise it would not zoom on the site........anyway if I assume it's rust what would be the best course of action......leave it until it breaks through and claim on the paint warranty or try some remedial action myself?Im hoping its a small stone strike ,but I don't think so!.........as for the rear crossmember well it's not covered by the warranty I might as well get it painted )..........I wish I had bought a few bulkheads a couple of years ago for 500 notes Embarassed ........
Post #721242 3rd Aug 2018 2:44pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I tell my gorgeous teenage daughter not to touch her spots as she will leave a mark. Your not gorgeous in my eyes
Nitram but the same advice holds true... until you know what it is Laughing Serious advice already pm,d!

Last edited by Zagato on 9th Aug 2018 6:19pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #721246 3rd Aug 2018 3:34pm
nitram17

How dare you zagato! I'm a looker from the back view Laughing thanks for the advice!
Post #721248 3rd Aug 2018 3:42pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
This is what was hiding under the cover, a 5000 mile, mint, 14 plate base model 90, no central locking, or electric windows, not even a cubby box Cool Really nice to see and must fly without all the extra weight of gadgets, rear seats etc. It,s just so clean, even has the new smell. Not a very good picture...

Click image to enlarge
Post #721360 4th Aug 2018 6:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 53 of 84 <123 ... 525354 ... 828384>