↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Series Land Rovers > John Craddock disappointing service (again)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
John Craddock disappointing service (again)
So, against my better judgement I ordered a couple of Series 1 parts from Craddock. I say against my better judgement as the last time I ordered something from them a few years ago and without going into the details, it was a complete shambles and I swore I wouldn’t order from them again. However they had the parts I wanted at the right price and I confirmed they were genuine and in stock. Ten days later after Oder confirmed to be sent out and a couple of unanswered emails I gave them a call. Suddenly they are being despatched today.
This is all the more sad as I remember John starting up his business and he was great to deal with all those years ago, when you could go behind the counter into the stores and have a rummage. Obviously got too big and customer service isn’t high priority.
I recently bought some stuff from Euro Carparts and a totally different experience, good comunication and when one item was out of stock they delivered it from Germany and kept me informed of progress. That’s how it should be done.
Post #708318 21st May 2018 9:49am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
That’s the worse thing with Craddock's, when I was building my 86” I would put in an order on a Monday,
Phone on a Friday and ask where my parts were?

“Oh we didn’t have all of it in stock, so we will send it all out together when we have it”
Big Cry your then waiting for a heap of parts while they wait for a gasket to arrive!
And they never seem to tell you at that at ordering time Rolling Eyes

I tend to use Dingocroft all the time now, can’t fault them. 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #708322 21st May 2018 10:16am
Slideywindows

England 
Defender9 I still have Craddock invoices from 1973!

(I had to chase them last week for delivery of the back orders! Laughing)

Dealing with them over the decades has been both inspiring and deeply depressing.

I only go there now if I'm desperate.
Post #708327 21st May 2018 10:47am
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Me too. Yes we can fill your order, err there is a problem, part delivery after 2 weeks at my insistence still waiting for the balance...... 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #708345 21st May 2018 1:06pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
And they do not include VAT in the price on their website like most others do so when you do a search Craddock always come up as the cheapest. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #708348 21st May 2018 1:20pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
My local parts supplier, but I'd rather deal with someone else via a faceless internet page than give them my money. Rolling Eyes

Customer service isn't on their radar 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #708349 21st May 2018 1:25pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Funnily enough, I have just realised my very first post on this forum was a moan about Craddock's in December 2013 looks like the service has not improved.

I have recently had a set of alloy wheels fitted to my defender by john Craddocks. And six out of the sixteen special alloy wheel nuts used to fit them have lost their stainless steel covers within seventy miles of them being fitted. Craddock's have told me that this has never happened before as the covers are crimped to the wheel nut by a machine during manufacture.
They posted six new ones to me. However, when I opened the boxes I found that two of the stainless steel wheel nut covers had come off in the box before they have even been fitted. Craddock's now say they will have to send the wheel nuts back for testing. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem especially from Craddocks or indeed anywhere else you have bought them from.
 For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #708350 21st May 2018 1:26pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
I think everything I've ordered from them has had something wrong with it. The best was a Solex carb rebuild kit which was incomplete and contained a float with a hole in it. When I phoned they challenged why I had not tested it before fitting, didn't have any replacements and wouldn't refund parts that had been used.
Post #708355 21st May 2018 1:41pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I dealt with them many years ago and found them excellent. However having read the reviews above I will not be tempted to use them in the future. I cannot imagine that companies who supply what is in the main an enthusiasts market, be so ambivalent about customer service. They really should take a leaf out of some of site sponsors. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #708375 21st May 2018 3:54pm
defender9

Years ago they were very good and to be honest the S1 parts prices were not that bad, not quite Jackson’s prices but ok. I certainly wouldn’t recommend them without some big caveats.
Post #708390 21st May 2018 5:18pm
Pat

Wales 
I used to be local and many years ago thought the shop great for Series III bits and advice. However, having recently paid a visit I wasn't impressed, run down scruffy looking outlet - didn't buy or stay long. It started with a kiss, never thought it would come to this.
SIII CSW Safari, limestone, (JAC 914N). Where is she now?

It's not a car, it's a way of life!
Post #708569 22nd May 2018 11:06am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I have had issues with them too recently. They supposedly offer free postage on orders over £50 but that seems hit and miss. I usually order parcels with 2-3 day delivery and have been left weeks waiting for them with no contact, and had to phone up repeatedly to chase. Callbacks not made, no emails sent - all quite frustrating. First off they shouldn't list parts they don't stock, but if they do, at least send an email to inform there will be a delay. They have done this in the past, seems to depend on who is dealing with the order or something of that nature? 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #711726 10th Jun 2018 3:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
defender9

Well it’s just over a year since my last disappointing order, in the meantime I have ordered numerous parts from Dunsfold, Blanchard and Dingocroft, all with excellent delivery and customer service. Alas none of my preferred parts suppliers had the item I wanted, however Craddocks did, so with some trepidation I ordered the part. What could possibly go wrong?
So, after 4 days the parts arrived, which was pretty good for JC. Packaged opened and low and behold the part had the right part number on the bag but the wrong part in the bag, also it was a reproduction part which wasn’t evident from the web site. Rang them up and after being on hold for a while spoke to one of their guys who asked me to take a photo of it and send it them, I politely refused and asked if they could take it back and refund me as it became apparent that they did not have an original LR part and I was none too sure that if they sent me another that it wouldn’t be the same wrong part again. Eventually they did agree to a refund and would collect the part. Heyho, not the end of the World but pretty inconvenient as I had to stay in the best part of a day for the courier to collect the part. JC you really must do better Rolling Eyes
Post #777392 13th Jun 2019 8:39pm
Grouse

7th post down is my experience of the fantastic service offered by those tossers at John Craddock https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic31891.html?highlight=modular
Post #777514 14th Jun 2019 7:29pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
I bought a NOS Girling brake master cylinder recently and it was missing the pushrod and retaining washer. Someone had thoughtfully put the circlip back in though after robbing them.
Post #777545 14th Jun 2019 9:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>