↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Failed prop UJ.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Yes, I will do the rear once the national debt has recovered! The GL shaft is undoubtedly much stronger, especially in the joints, and the DC joint is beneficial especially when the transfer box output flange and diff input flange are not in the same place (remember the engine and gearbox assembly is nose-up in the Puma).

I doubt that the inertia of the shaft makes any difference (pro or con) since in overall driveline terms it is negligible (the wheels and flywheel will massively outclass any other rotating component). The new shaft will increase the unsprung weight of the front axle, but once again it will be negligible compared to the weight of the axle assembly itself.

At the moment the only downside is the effect on my wallet!

It is also very blue. I am not sure if this is a good thing. Everyone knows that red brake calipers increase your engine power (why so many hot hatches have them!), does a blue propshaft increase your off-road capability?
Post #710713 4th Jun 2018 11:42am
L110CDL

England 
Very good and purposefully looking prop shaft there blackwolf, will look into that for the future.

Yes i would agree being blue will help a lot when off road Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #710800 4th Jun 2018 8:06pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Reminds me of the blue springs there used to be at one time.

Don't ever get yellow! Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #710812 4th Jun 2018 8:47pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
A couple of free days this week so I'm cracking on with the front UJ replacement, especially as I have the new UJ's now.

I have the front off already, it doesn't seem too bad nothing like the rear but if anything it seems too loose in fact.
It's also missing a grease nipple nearest the transfer box so wanted to replace both front he rear prop UJ for good measure.

I too might be interested in the GL version in the future, but currently got more than enough fish to fry.
Luckily there is plenty of good weather and time before MOT time so that's a blessing.

Will update here with a pic or two later quite possibly.

Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #711071 6th Jun 2018 12:53pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Finished up today, got the front put back on.
Again they needed freeing up a bit, and done the best I can to equal them up and they are properly greased up.
Going in for servicing within the next month or two as well so hopefully they'll be greased again once settled in a bit more every little helps.

I do still have a bit of movement in both gearstick and transferbox stick so I'm guessing the transferbox mounts might be coming to the end of their life. Rolling Eyes
Failed rear UJ probably caused that I'd imagine..

I thought it only needed to be done once servicing was completed so I never knew, nor did anyone suggest it that they'd need greasing more often.
65k isn't bad, and likely that the UJ filled with water and detritus on the rear especially with the nipple missing!
So I'm pretty sure that is what caused it, but I should have noticed sooner but just didn't think about it really.

I'll have to move on to looking at the wipers next shortly, they seem to be quite slow and after being parked for a few days stopped again on intermittent today.

Video of the old UJ's on the front prop, was sprayed with WD40 before cleaning up so looks wet.
You can see the grease nipple that was missing, this was after I took it off:

I found it quicker also to push out the UJ cups on the prop yokes as normal then when the flange is free cut the spider in two places as shown and push the cups in and they are out quicker.

Click image to enlarge

I used some washers to use the old nuts temporarily on the transfer box flange bolts both on the transfer box front flange and the handbrake drum when required.
So whilst doing the job, you can still get about just down the road if need be with the diff locked and in 2wd.
The bolts aren't threaded quite all the way down to the face of the flange so hence the washers.
Basically just so if I had to jump in it in an emergency whilst doing the job over a few days I could still use it.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I replaced the bolts on the diff flanges + nuts and new nuts on the transfer box flanges.

Glad they are done, all seems good and much better to drive so hopefully they'll last if I keep an eye on them now. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #711514 8th Jun 2018 9:09pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
custom90steve wrote:
... cut the spider in two places as shown and push the cups in and they are out quicker.

Well I've never seen that done before!
Post #711524 8th Jun 2018 9:59pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Worked well for me, I did the rear prop by pushing them out and the front prop using the cutting the spider method.
The latter was faster and both ways cleaned up perfectly.
Only on the flange though, pushed out the cups on the yokes and worked them out with the leverage on them they are far easier than the flanges

I can see how tight the access to the UJ nipples are at the front whilst I was there, it was a bit of a pain accessing the bolts even with the propshaft tool and wheel jacked up to aide rotating the shaft.

Hopefully they'll be good for a good while and I'll keep an eye on them from now on.

Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #711530 8th Jun 2018 11:34pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I know this is bringing the thread back from the dead, but I thought it might help with continuity?.

I am currently looking at propshaft stuff for my Puma 90 2007 and contacted GL to enquire about the 1310 propshafts F&R. The web shop shows both out of stock and during the e-mails we exchanged he said they had stopped making the 1310 and were now making a Mega 2020 prop in it's place. During the discussions he said that the standard Puma front prop has a bigger 1350 UJ than his now discontinued 1310 ones. After some more digging it appears that post VIN number 7A vehicles used the same heavier duty 1350 UJ in the rear - as per Steve's original post.

Currently debating just swapping the UJ's and peripherals as opposed to over £1k of Gwyn's latest and shiny new ones. Vehicle is not raised except for the spring isolators and off road use is minimal/green lane stuff.

The cost to swap out using new GKN 1350 UJ's is less than £150. Rgds.

Chris
Post #900248 27th Apr 2021 4:55pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I’ve not had a problem with mine since, working out lovely since I did the job.

It is a pig of a job though I found, mainly pressing the old ones out. Not had a single balance issue or anything ever since.

If I had issues again I think I’d buy Hardy Spicer props as college units, if nothing else they will allow you a swap to keep it running whilst allowing you time to change the UJ’s especially if you need to use it which many of us do.
A removal, refit of UJ’s and refitting is a big task in one day but you can run in 2wd temporarily like I did.

But yes, if I was in that situation again I would go for hard spicer props, take out the old fit the new on one go, and then when the inclination comes to work on the originals you can fit the UJ’s at leisure.
It was more of a job m]for me at the time as I didn’t have a vice with a wide enough jaw, and needed some sockets with an appropriate size to press the bearing cups out, I needed heavy duty circling pliers etc mid job.

If you want more details as to what is required PM me. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #900264 27th Apr 2021 6:11pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Thanks Steve.

Just pondering this but heavily leaning towards swapping the UJ's with genuine GKN 1350's. Rgds.

Chris
Post #900266 27th Apr 2021 6:20pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Your pictures have vanished, Steve. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #900284 27th Apr 2021 8:47pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yes, I removed some galleries and some pics went with it sadly. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #900292 27th Apr 2021 9:16pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Just randomly browsing and saw that D44 do wide angle and DC Prop shafts, including for Puma’s.

See here:
https://www.devon4x4.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Propshafts
First time I have seen those, just thought I’d put it up here. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #900300 27th Apr 2021 10:11pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
custom90steve wrote:
Yes, I removed some galleries and some pics went with it sadly.

That's a shame. It's amazing how often old posts crop up and they lose their usefulness when the pictures are removed. If the system is telling you that you're short of space then Martin can help. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #900331 28th Apr 2021 8:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345