↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Help with connecting Android auto to new Head Unit please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Help with connecting Android auto to new Head Unit please
Hello

I have a Pioneer Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB and I use an Android phone (one plus 5)

The radio is in and picking up DAB+, USB, bluetooth etc but when I connect the lead from phone and launch the APP the screen on the radio says check your handbrake is on. The phone display looks correct showing the app with songs, time / date / last calls etc.

I also get the Android auto symbol on the head unit but it does not mirror the phone screen at all.

Do I need the hand brake lead off the head unit connected to the car? surely it should work with the handbrake on or off?

I'm confused....help please, so close but not there...

Click image to enlarge
Post #710940 5th Jun 2018 5:18pm
blimbug

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Bonatti Grey
Complete guess here - Is it a feature of the radio that you can only access the airplay functionality when stationary?

If so thereā€™d likely be a cable connected to the handbrake switch that allows the radio to detect when the handbrake is applied?
Post #710958 5th Jun 2018 6:32pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
Android Auto in my car (2015 Skoda) needs a USB cable connected in addition to the bluetooth for it to work as intended. I would try that to start with.

EDIT

Sorry - misread and assumed you meant an AUX lead.

My unit sometimes stops me from using it for a time because it thinks i'm not concentrating enough on the road and will lock me out but it's timed. Never seen any message about handbrake. I wonder if it is in some kind of "learn" mode and believes it needs a "stationary" signal to ensure you're not driving at the same time?
Post #711015 5th Jun 2018 9:30pm
jonny

A lot of head units with navigation etc have a lead that needs to go to the hand brake, and certain things can only be done when you are stationary with the brake on (eg. typing stuff in).

You may be able to just connect the handbrake lead off the back of the unit to ground (eg. head unit mounting cage) and it will all work properly. You may also have to have it connected to the handbrake switch itself (if you have one!!) as some units want a handbrake on then off signal to check that you haven't just earthed the wire... You can actually get defeat devices that switch on / off to get round this if you want...
Post #711197 7th Jun 2018 7:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1