Home > Td5 > TD5 very sluggish when cold and uneven idle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
TD5 very sluggish when cold and uneven idle
Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Our 02' TD5 had become very sluggish a few months back so disconnect the MAF sensor which helped quite a bit. I have now bought and fitted a new VDO MAF sensor and drivability is much better. However it is woefully sluggish at low revs when the engine is cold. Revs fine and once the revs pick up there is a nice big turbo surge. However at low revs, and particually noticable when changing into 2nd there is no go at all. The engine has just had a full service with genuine parts, the injector loom was changed for a genuine one last year, injector washers were also done last year.

The other issue which could be related is the TD5s charactoristic uneven idle (grr grr grr grr) when rolling to a stop at traffic lights. This is again only evident with a cold engine but seems to have got worse lately and become harsh enough to be able to feel a slight rocking of the car as it surges. It continues indefinately once stopped at a junction until the engine warms up.

Once the engine warms up it is much less sluggish but there is still quite noticable turbo lag at low revs.

Does anyone have any suggestions/easy things to check. I dont currently have a nanocom sadly. I did have a quick look at the fuel pressure regulator in case this was also the cause of the terrible clutch judder but there doesnt seem to be any signs of diesel leakage around the area and never a diesel smell.

Cheers
Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #405036 6th Mar 2015 4:46pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Sounds just like your MAF has failed to me. Exactly what mine would do with a failed MAF. Mine (now my ex) used to eat MAF's for some reason, but would be ok with uprated ones from Alive.

Andy
Post #405041 6th Mar 2015 4:56pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I've just got through symptoms very much as you describe plus it not starting first thing in the morning, definitely not getting diesel up to the injectors. I took the diesel in tank pump out yesterday and the bottom of the pump is a moulded mesh that was 75/80% blocked with the dreaded black slime. I've given it a good clean and it's back to its former self. The pump has been getting noisey but not all the time but it runs well again now. Because I have cut an access hole in the floor it's only a 10 minute job to get it sorted.
Post #405053 6th Mar 2015 5:20pm
silky16v

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Blenheim Silver
have you ran new battery earths from the the ecu earth point to the engine and then onto the battery?

made the world of difference to mine when it started from cold
Post #405055 6th Mar 2015 5:21pm
110MGD

2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
The rolling up to light description. I drove one with that when I was looking always wondered thought it may have been oil in loom. 2001 Td5 CSW (weekend and snow mobile) Plenty of lights, M/T tyres EGR delete, roofrack, swing away wheel carrier, snorkel.
2016 E220 CDI Night Edition Estate
2014 VW UP!
2x D3 and 1x D4 GONE
Post #405092 6th Mar 2015 7:17pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Cheers for the feedback. Bottom of the pump is spotless as I had the tank off over Xmas to replace the rear crossmember. I drained the tank down, removed the pump and cleaned it all out.

New injector loom was fitted recently and ecu plug cleared out, no oil since. MAF has been replaced with Siemens VDO (Genuine) one a few weeks back.

All earths are good.

Just to make it clear, it runs perfectly, no misfire, fires straight up from cold, revs freely straight away, just has no low down torque when cold. Once the turbo gets spooled up it goes really well.

No untoward smoke from the exhaust either.

Cheers
Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #405936 9th Mar 2015 12:48pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
It's allways got me wondering with the 'traffic light syndrome', mine does it but I have noticed that at the moment it's not. All that is different over the past week is, as mentioned before, cleaning the pump, cleaned the MAF sensor with electrical cleaner along with the red plug at the ECU. The only other thing I have done was to take out the air bleed valve out of the fuel filter housing and treated to a good spray of brake cleaner and along with a new fuel filter all seems well and no lumpy running when pulling up at lights.
Other than that I don't know why mine has decided to behave itself.
Post #405939 9th Mar 2015 12:57pm
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I had issues with poor running on the Td5, after checking the loom etc came down to a dodgy MAF and a MAP sensor which needed a really good clean Thumbs Up 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #405953 9th Mar 2015 1:37pm
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Worth cleaning the MAP sensor on the inlet manifold ?

Edit : Jomara beat me to it Smile Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #405957 9th Mar 2015 1:43pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
did you resolve this?

i have exactly same symptons, nothing low down until turbo comes in with big push after long lag. worse when cold.

i was thinking MAF - not changed it yet.

Only other thing similar to yours in the injector loom was changed Sep 17, fault started with lag low down Mar 18. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #711083 6th Jun 2018 2:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1