↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Nakatanenga Swingaway wheel carrier
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Redlinemike

Scotland 2004 Defender 110 Other XS DCPU Auto Bonatti Grey
Nakatanenga Swingaway wheel carrier
Does anyone happen to have one of these fitted to a vehicle with a Ifor Williams top with the full width hatch?

I am considering one of the carriers for my 110DCPU but id like to make sure that the hatch will still open with the wheel carrier swung to the side

Many thanks 110 XS DC M57 + 8 Speed auto

ORA jeep- Sold
Tomcat 88
Post #710847 5th Jun 2018 8:17am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have a full-width flap and whilst I don't have the Nak swingaway (I have the Sonic3d/Allisport one) I did look into which carriers work with a flap and which don't. The problem is that to clear the flap the wheel has to be either very low indeed (which fouls towing gear when closed) or the carrier has to swing through a very large arc in order to get the wheel outside the envelope of the flap when opened, which tends to make it stick a long way into the road.

As far as I am aware the Nakatanenga one will not allow the flap to be opened, since the arm does not open far enough to clear the arc of the flap, although Brendan will no doubt be along in a moment to confirm this.

My Allisport carrier required modification to work, and I moved the wheel much higher and towards the left of the vehicle (when closed) to get the wheel clear of the flap, as well as adjusting the stops to allow the carrier to swing through a much greater arc.

The only carriers I know of which will work straight out of the box are the cheapo kind which hinge close to the offside edge of the tub and which require drilling of the tub to fit. I didn't want to drill my tub.
Post #710852 5th Jun 2018 8:44am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Hi Mike, Peter at Nakatanenga pointed me in this direction.

There is not much to add to BW reply. With a full flap Ifor canopy you need the wheel to swing past the body work.

So either the Safari Equip pick up version you may or may not have to remove or extend the wire stop cable. Otherwise you are into modifying another carrier.

Brendan
Post #710944 5th Jun 2018 5:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1