Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > tent and awning lighting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jimb1978

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
tent and awning lighting
Hi all,

I am just wondering what people use to light up their campsite. I have a foxing and oztent with tagalong. I currently run an extension cable from the defender into the tent and plug in the Ring LED strip lights. These are not really proving very reliable with numerous repairs over the last few years.

I would also like to light up the awning area.

In the long run I would like to fit some sort of rear light for the camping area (Scenelite s17 or similar) but I envision this running alongside the temporary solutions rather than replacing them.
If anybody has any experience with any systems which work particularly well I'd love to know about it.

Thanks

James 2002 110 td5
Post #707822 17th May 2018 9:44pm
Keith5

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Morning,

I have a similar setup to yourself, except with a normal family tent instead of the Oztent.

Above the rear door I have a couple of S18s which create a fantastic puddle of light to the rear and under the awning.
https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/labcraft-scenelite-s18.html
I have these switched from the cab as I also use them when reversing onto my dark driveway during the winter.

For the side I have a 1000mm Astro that I plan to mount just below the gutter, this way it means I can leave it untouched when I take the awning off over the winter. I've fitted a carling switch for this one just inside the rear door to make it easy to use.
https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/labcraft-astro-ll2-led-xl.html

We use the 110 quite a bit for outdoor Scout activities all year round so these come into their own providing a lit sheltered area to return to after a wet evening orienteering or similar.

Hope this gives some ideas Keith
Post #707843 18th May 2018 6:18am
Jimb1978

Yes, something similar is my long term goal. Albeit with the added spanner in the works that mine is a double cab Big Cry

I could fit both those lights to the full length roof rack but then my temporary rack becomes a permanent addition unless I can find some sort of socket to fit so I can disconnect the wires easily 2002 110 td5
Post #708083 19th May 2018 4:00pm
Enid_Puceflange

Scotland 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Baltic Blue
There must be some kind of boating/maritime use electrical connectors that would be up to the job?

Oooooh my 1000th post Very Happy My confidence has been writing cheques that my abilities can't cash for years.
Post #708089 19th May 2018 4:37pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Congratulations Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

How are you going to celebrate with cake and maybe a scotch or two Smile

Talking of scotch I visited the Scotch Whisky Experience in Edinburgh earlier this year did not know there were so many different whiskeys. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #708091 19th May 2018 4:43pm
donmacn

Enid_Puceflange wrote:
There must be some kind of boating/maritime use electrical connectors that would be up to the job?

I now have a scenelight above the back door. It's on a 3 way switch; off, on, on with reverse. Just the job. But before I had this, I used a marine deck fitting. Power (switchable from the cubby console) comes along the internal roof edge, and through the panel just next to the rear quarter, into a waterproof socket - male fitting. It's really discrete, and you'd barely notice it.

Then the female connection goes onto a worklight bolted onto one of those spring clamps. It's got s couple of metres of cable, and can be clamped onto the external guttering anywhere around the back/sides of the car. I don't have a photo on this device, but I think there's a pic near the beginning of my 'tinkering' thread linked in the sig.

I still have this on the car, and I like the flexibility for those occasions when you can't get the back of the car pointing in just the right direction. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #708097 19th May 2018 5:33pm
Jimb1978

I opted for the vango sunbeam 450 lights for the tent.

Awning lights still need to be sorted. I guess a little research needs to be done to solve this one. The solutions mentioned here look good. Thumbs Up 2002 110 td5
Post #708451 21st May 2018 8:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1