↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Life in Afghan *Pictures added*
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I haven't been out there for sometime and have no intention of returning if either of my job interviews pan out....I can give three months notice and walk...So theoretically if the fair wind and fortune are in my favour after 32 years I could be out in under a month.

Time to go! No more tin/medals to be had!

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #38443 18th Aug 2010 11:28am
HONEYMONSTER

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I now that feeling, I have no intention of coming back after my next r&r if I can help it. Good luck with the interveiws Thumbs Up

Jaime
Post #38445 18th Aug 2010 11:36am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Thanks Jamie! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #38451 18th Aug 2010 12:44pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
HONEYMONSTER wrote:
Glynn, not sure if I missed it but where are you based? I'm just finishing up my 11th months in Kandahar, no Landy for me though NATOs budget only extends to a Ford Ranger.. Piece of Dog Looking forward to getting back to take my baby for a spin, guess I should also say see the girlfriend.. Rolling Eyes

K9, No Burger king, Pizza Hut or Subway anymore mate Septics General saw to that. Even Timmies has moved. All change these last couple of months. Though we do now have a KFC.. Thumbs Up

Iam back in agan!!

I have loads more pictures and the connection is too slow to upload them so I willdo it when get back to UK.

Hi Jamie,

For my first 3 months here I was based in ATR Bastion, but since then I have lived in about 4 different PBs an a couple of CPs, and one stinking compound. I only have 3 weeks to push now before I head back to blighty, but have a 2 week OP up in Sangin before I earn that right (save the best till last).

Out here they have given me a Husky to command.... not to bad other than I get to have my head out the top of it all the time...... by the end of the day I feel like I am a well done to almost crispy!!

KFC!!!! I get the finest boil in the bag the goverment is willing to give me..... I have had either bacon or sausage and beans every morning for the past 2.5 months now.... please post a family bucket and a Timmy H coffee through to save me!! (only plus side to it is that I have lost 2.5 stone in 3 months).

Glyn Sheep
Post #39426 31st Aug 2010 3:25pm
JimC

United States 2007 Defender 130 300 Tdi HCPU Arles Blue
Thread resurrection!

So I was in Afghanistan also when this thread was new but I wasn’t following this board then. I was also up in Kabul most of the time.

I’m trying to find out more about the civvy-spec defenders that inhabited the main FOB in Kandahar during this period. I bought an ex-MOD 130 out of Gibraltar but it had clearly been painted desert tan at some time. Also, the frame was covered with a bunch of red dirt that looks a lot more like Kandahar than Gibraltar. There was lots more of the dirt/dust caked up on top of the frame rails and recesses etc.

Is there any way to figure out which trucks are war veterans?
Post #707592 16th May 2018 8:47pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
Was it a military registered truck? then some hope of getting the history. Depending on age some is in public domain and some can be obtained by FOI request. If it was a MoD civvie lease white fleet I'm thinking it will be a lot harder as the records will be with the private lease company not MoD. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #707667 17th May 2018 9:32am
JimC

It was registered 43RN06 with the MoD in Gibraltar. There is just a bunch of dirt on this thing that doesn’t look like Gibraltar so I’m wondering if it was somewhere else first.

I’d appreciate any insights - thanks!
Post #707781 17th May 2018 7:40pm
Projectblue

England 
Did you see the 2508 form? This is the MOD release form that has the unit details on it. That gives you some idea sometimes. There is a group called the Ex Military Land Rover Association.[url] http://www.emlra.org/[/url] that might help.

White fleet (leased stuff) didn't get taken painted so although some do go overseas, if it's been painted it would have been more than likely owned by the MOD. RN is Navy designation which fits with Gib. Maybe Cyprus? New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #707826 17th May 2018 10:43pm
JimC

I didn’t get a 2508, I got it from a British expat who hadn’t bought it at the mod auction. It definitely was tan before it got the crap white paint job. I’ll try the website you mentioned - thanks!
Post #707838 18th May 2018 5:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123