Home > My Defender > An Anorak's Utility Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 57 <123 456 ... 555657>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Re: Ardsafe
seriesonenut wrote:
Back last September when my usw arrived i fitted the safe just the same as you, After a few weeks and scraped legs I moved it to sit just in front of the second row seats. I fixed it with a strong elastic cord rather than drilling, it is secure and comes out for cleaning the carpets and floor with ease.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Before I fitted it, I read lots of forum posts about what a good idea it was. Still, I'll persevere for a bit as I don't have any new wounds today. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #702381 22nd Apr 2018 4:22pm
LandRoverAnorak

Seat Box Corner Protectors
A common problem is wear on the corners of the seat box covering and my 110 is no exception, so I thought I'd fit some of these plastic protectors.

Before:

Click image to enlarge

After:

Click image to enlarge

On the drivers side, the Ardcase covers one of the fixing points but it's not the end of the world:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #702391 22nd Apr 2018 4:45pm
LandRoverAnorak

MSS Glove Box
I've been on a roll for the last couple of days so I managed to get another little job done, which was to fit a glove box. After much browsing of opinion on the forum, I went for the MSS version, which seemed to offer the best combination of cost v quality.

The quality of the kit itself was pretty good - everything was there that was supposed to be - and fitting was relatively straightforward, which was a good job as the instructions were rubbish as they were barely legible:

Click image to enlarge

MSS did redeem themselves though by having an excellent 'how to' video on YouTube.

First job was to remove the existing dash filler panel from above the grab handle:

Click image to enlarge

With that part on the bench, it was a simple job to prise out the two star shaped 'flat cups' and remove the polystyrene filler piece, which is thrown away:

Click image to enlarge

Next, it's necessary to cut away the central peg and two webs from the underside of the dash panel:

Click image to enlarge

Then, the hinged section of the kit can be fitted using two M4 nuts and bolts and re-using the flat cups from earlier:

Click image to enlarge

The other part of the kit is the bit that forms the 'box', which must be assembled with two brackets like so:

Click image to enlarge

These two parts are fitted to the dash to create the glove box. To fit the upper part, it's necessary to remove the two blue plastic fixings that have been the subject of so much discussion. To fit the lower, it's necessary to drill some holes in the dash and cut away four webs on the back of the opening:

Click image to enlarge

And there we go. A little bit of fettling of the mounting bolts to get it all lined up and a handy little storage box is created:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 4th Mar 2021 10:03am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #702442 22nd Apr 2018 8:00pm
olivers

2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I fitted a Mud box two years ago or so, but from memory it is exactly the same as yours. The only issue with it is that there’s a small gap at the bottom of the box - as it turns out over time - that lets coins vibrate their way through.

I haven’t read any of the various opinions you’re referring to, was just wondering if somehow the MSS guys have made it impossible for their box to develop the same issue as the Mud one?
Post #702467 22nd Apr 2018 8:52pm
LandRoverAnorak

Hmm, the bottom panel of this one fits flush to the back of the dash without any gap. This is governed by the positioning of the two brackets, which aren't parallel as the space in the dash is tapered. If I were you I'd release the bottom panel from the brackets, push it in as far as it will go and then mark the brackets through the holes in the panel in order to open them out a bit.

The only thing that slightly irks me about the one I've installed is the visible nuts on the top, so I've just ordered some black nut caps to cover them. Darren

Post #702473 22nd Apr 2018 9:08pm
olivers

2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I need to check this out properly - have only noticed what the coins are doing, but not taken the time to investigate! I don’t remember noticing a gap before either... perhaps it wasn’t there in the beginning.
Post #702475 22nd Apr 2018 9:10pm
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Re: Seat Box Corner Protectors
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
A common problem is wear on the corners of the seat box covering and my 110 is no exception, so I thought I'd fit some of these plastic protectors.

Before:

Click image to enlarge

After:

Click image to enlarge

On the drivers side, the Ardcase covers one of the fixing points but it's not the end of the world:

Click image to enlarge

Out if interest, where’d you get these from? My seat boxes are looking decidedly tired on the edges.
Post #702477 22nd Apr 2018 9:14pm
LandRoverAnorak

Good old eBay. Here you go:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defe...2749.l2649 Darren

Post #702483 22nd Apr 2018 9:24pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Looking good Thumbs Up Are you finding the electrics a bit more complicated than on the 90? Wink 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #702535 23rd Apr 2018 1:21am
LandRoverAnorak

Ha, ha, yes. There's a lot more of them, for a start! Darren

Post #702555 23rd Apr 2018 10:23am
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Good old eBay. Here you go:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defe...2749.l2649

Cheers dude Thumbs Up
Post #702625 23rd Apr 2018 5:43pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
My civvy Mantec Tufflift arrived last Friday and I had time to fit it this evening. I ordered the version Mantec says is for the Mantec swing-away, and in essence it is the same as the military version LRA illustrated earlier in this thread, the only differences being that it is black in colour and the holes in the metal bracket are slightly different.

My carrier is a modified Sonic3d/Allisport one, and one effect of the modifications I had to make is that the wheel is very much higher than usual. For this reason I wasn't sure if the Tufflift would work. To fit it I punched a 16mm hole in the centre of the metal bracket (exactly as LRA did and illustrated in his photo reproduced below), and mounted the bracket on one of the assembly bolts on the carrier.

I am delighted to say that it works perfectly and makes fitting the wheel to the carrier massively easier, it really is a very satisfactory device indeed. I reckon that was £35 well spent.

Click image to enlarge
Post #702676 23rd Apr 2018 9:07pm
LandRoverAnorak

That's good news. We all like a picture though Whistle Darren

Post #702678 23rd Apr 2018 9:09pm
L110CDL

England 
Hi LRA, i have had the corner protectors on for a long time now and the only fault i have found with them is over time they make a mark on the door card Shocked This is just to let you know so if you want to prevent this happening to yours, obviously you cant see it when the door is shut, but when it's open, you can see it well Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #702725 23rd Apr 2018 10:32pm
LandRoverAnorak

Hmm, I'll have to have a look Confused

Anyway, another couple of minor jobs ticked off the list this evening. Firstly, replaced the standard screws holding the snow cowl on with some nice stainless ones. They're separated from the metal cowl with nylon washers:

Click image to enlarge

Secondly, a small security measure in the shape of stainless bolts and nyloc nuts for the drivers wing blank plate:

Click image to enlarge

They were a Censored to fit with the bonnet open so I'm reasonably confident of the difficulty level without.

I may, at some point, make an aluminium plate to replace the plastic one, but it's not high on my priority list. If I could, I'd buy one but the only ones I've seen are from the likes of Entreq, which are stupidly expensive. Darren

Post #703187 25th Apr 2018 9:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 57 <123 456 ... 555657>