↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Air Conditioning Fault Finding
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Air Conditioning Fault Finding
Last summer I noticed my air conditioning wasn't working. I'm taking the Defender around France this summer so want to get it sorted.

What are the likely suspects? How can I check/eliminate components?

Cheers
Post #702556 23rd Apr 2018 9:29am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
first thing to do is take it to Kwikfit for a regas. If it doesn't work after the regas, they don't charge you. Wink Before they regas it they do a leak check (or rather their machine does).

In most cases with AC it's not working because either the gas levels have dropped to low, there is a pressure switch that switches the compressor off when this happens. Or there is simply a fuse blown.

The gas or rather the compressor oil contained in it needs replacing every couple of years anyway, so a regas won't do it any harm.
Post #702567 23rd Apr 2018 10:33am
hank

Thanks, will try kwik fit first!
Post #702572 23rd Apr 2018 11:08am
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
zsd-puma wrote:
first thing to do is take it to Kwikfit for a regas. If it doesn't work after the regas, they don't charge you. Wink Before they regas it they do a leak check (or rather their machine does).

In most cases with AC it's not working because either the gas levels have dropped to low, there is a pressure switch that switches the compressor off when this happens. Or there is simply a fuse blown.

The gas or rather the compressor oil contained in it needs replacing every couple of years anyway, so a regas won't do it any harm.

They do charge you - £50 for the ‘gas’ which they insist on putting in first to check - at least Derby Kwikfit at Pride Park did me. If it’s just low refrigerant, that’s it. If not, you’ll have to find the fault. You don’t get your £50 back (happened to my Volvo - it needed a new compressor).
Post #702629 23rd Apr 2018 4:56pm
Justtellme

Canada 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
In Canada, they test by using nitrogen if they suspect a leak. That way refrigerant doesnt go in, then immediately leak into the atmosphere if there is a seal or large joint leaking.
Seems strange they would go straight to regassing with first determining there was no leak.
Patrick
Post #702655 23rd Apr 2018 7:23pm
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Always wished I could have emigrated to Canada Thumbs Up
Post #702718 23rd Apr 2018 9:19pm
zsd-puma

Doc P wrote:
zsd-puma wrote:

They do charge you - £50 for the ‘gas’ which they insist on putting in first to check - at least Derby Kwikfit at Pride Park did me. If it’s just low refrigerant, that’s it. If not, you’ll have to find the fault. You don’t get your £50 back (happened to my Volvo - it needed a new compressor).

It's has to be colder after they gas it than before, they put a temperature probe in the air vents. I had mine done, they said it didn't seem to be working properly so gave me my £50 back. So you DO get your £50 back, if you don't then you need to contact their head office, as that's their policy. Stupid thing was it seems to be working find. Laughing

From their website;
Quote:
Recharge or No Charge
Let Kwik Fit recharge your air con while you wait. We will replace and recharge lubricant and refrigerant levels in line with your manufacturer’s recommendation. If we cannot improve the coolest vent temperature from your car by more than 10% when measured in degrees Celsius - then you pay nothing at all.*

Last edited by zsd-puma on 23rd Apr 2018 11:25pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #702744 23rd Apr 2018 11:21pm
zsd-puma

Justtellme wrote:
In Canada, they test by using nitrogen if they suspect a leak. That way refrigerant doesnt go in, then immediately leak into the atmosphere if there is a seal or large joint leaking.
Seems strange they would go straight to regassing with first determining there was no leak.
Patrick

The machine does a vacuum leak down check first I think, if it fails the machine won't let them gas it - it's automatic. If it passes the leak check, then they'll gas it but if the AC still doesn't work properly they give you your money back.
Post #702745 23rd Apr 2018 11:24pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Check the gas volume and check for leaks in the system. I once took a 2 week trip to the US and when I got back, the AC was not cold. Had gas volume checked then in with gas and the AC was cold, after about 2 months, no cold air again, checked gas volume and it was once again low to nil. Did a leak test and found out the culprit was the cooling coil behind the dash. Had that replaced with a slightly bigger one, better cooling.

Eventually had to replace the AC compressor some time after that as I had been regassing the system for a few months without adding oil into the compressor, it eventually seized. But this is a story for another time.

I hope you get it sorted.
Post #702756 24th Apr 2018 4:11am
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Mines packed in and it’s the heater matrix Shocked circa £600 for one.
Post #702919 24th Apr 2018 6:49pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Just had the condenser replaced on mine. Shocked

There's a lot to commend opening bulkhead flaps! Laughing
Post #702940 24th Apr 2018 8:04pm
Justtellme

Canada 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
zsd-puma wrote:
Justtellme wrote:
Patrick

The machine does a vacuum leak down check first I think, if it fails the machine won't let them gas it - it's automatic. If it passes the leak check, then they'll gas it but if the AC still doesn't work properly they give you your money back.

Aha! That makes much more sense......i have a vacuum pump and let it run for about 1/2 hour to draw a deep vacuum before i do the recharge. Many DIY modern refrigerant replacements for R12 available in North America are actually very flamable, so you need to be careful.
Patrick
Post #702950 24th Apr 2018 8:32pm
hank

Update: Kwik Fit regassed the system today and all sorted Rolling Eyes was expecting something to need replacing but good outcome!

Found a 20% off code online too so only cost £48!

For info the code is 20OFFAIRCONGSAVINGS0705
Post #706571 11th May 2018 12:37pm
zsd-puma

Over the years it gradually seeps out through the seals, once it drops below a set pressure the system cuts out, to protect it's self. So it may not have been that low, just low enough to trip the pressure switch. If you don't use it for long periods, then the seals dry out and leak. So if you leave it switched off all winter that'll do it over time. If you're not aware in winter if you set the heater to hot and switch the AC on it does a brilliant job of demisting your windscreen almost instantly.

If it's not been done since it was built in 2007 it's done pretty well.
Post #706579 11th May 2018 2:10pm
hank

Definitely. I was well happy that it was just the gas! Was expecting a hellish job diagnosing what was leaking
Post #706597 11th May 2018 3:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>