↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Hanging revs and no brake lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mata

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Hanging revs and no brake lights
Hi All, i wonder if someone can help me with this...?

Driving my 2009 2.4 TDCI today and i noticed that during gear changes the revs were rising or hanging for longer than normal after lifting off the throttle and depressing the clutch for a gear change. I spent a bit of time searching the internet and found a suggestion that it could be the clutch master cylinder pressure switch not getting a supply voltage because its fuse, shared with the brake lights, is blown. I checked the brake lights and hey presto (i thought) no brake lights so there's the problem.

Wrong.

Brake light fuse was fine, all the fuses were fine and after a load more titting about i removed the brake pedal switches from the bracket, unplugged them, checked for corrosion etc (none), replugged them, reinstalled them and brake lights now magically fixed. FFS.

Back to the original issue, the revs still hang or rise slightly during a gear change so could this be a faulty master cylinder pressure switch? I did a clutch fluid flush a couple of months ago - it was awful minging black Censored , maybe this has damaged the switch? Anyway, i disconnected the switch and bridged the pins in the loom side of the connector. Revs no longer hang or rise and as predicted fall off much quicker than with a working, connected pressure switch. This strongly suggests it's a faulty switch but i still need to put a multimeter on the switch to be sure.

My confusion is that lots of internet posts suggest that my two issues of hanging revs and no brake lights are usually linked, however my fault finding suggests not. Should i assume that these two faults, both occurring on the same day, are just coincidence?

To confuse matters more perhaps i had the engine go into limp mode twice last week during a long motorway journeyup to Scotland where i currently am with work. My fault scanner said turbocharger/supercharger underboost at the time. Its not done it since but i've only been doing short journeys slightly dreading the lond drive home later this week.

Could all these be linked or am i just having a Censored defender week and its all coincidence?

Sorry for the long post, well done if you read it all, please offer advice if you can, thanks, Mat.
Post #690904 4th Mar 2018 5:52pm
proloForêt

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Do the clutch switch bypass mod and will cure Thumbs Up
Post #690906 4th Mar 2018 5:59pm
ozzie1989

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
I too had this 'hanging issue' a while back which was on my to do list to investigate...

More annoying was my clutch pedal squeaking so that got done first. A spray of WD40 after taking off the clutch pedal top cover solved the squeak but inadvertently stopped the revs hanging too, so not sure if the switch was sticking or something.

I've now greased the whole thing, top to bottom, and the clutch is much smoother and the squeak nor hang has returned. Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Then: 2004 2.5 TD5 90 Hard Top (X-Tech Edition)
Post #690948 4th Mar 2018 7:47pm
mata

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
So to square away this post for the benefit of future fault finding searches it looks like these two faults were not linked but purely coincidental.

Bypassing (shorting) the clutch master cylinder pressure switch had the expected outcome and replacing the switch recently with a new one has returned the car to standard operation.

The lack of brake lights is unresolved. Unplugging and removing the pedal switch then putting it back together has, presumably temporarily, resolved this.
Post #702548 23rd Apr 2018 7:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1