Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Grease for rear half shafts xs110 2014
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
foggydave

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Bonatti Grey
Grease for rear half shafts xs110 2014
Hi
Fitting new rear half shafts and drive members. I have a variety of greases on the shelf

Copper grease
Molybdenum Rocol MT265
High Melting point Lithium multi grease
Which one would be the best to use? Someone also mentioned Diff oil

Due to the historical problems with this and the fact that the half shafts are easy to access I will be checking them annually
Post #701982 20th Apr 2018 5:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
From that list I'd be inclined to opt for the moly, but I doubt that there would be much difference between any of them.

Unless you are a fairly low mileage driver, I would check and lube them more frequently than annually.

I grew fed up with replacing them and in the end went for one-piece shafts!
Post #701984 20th Apr 2018 5:09pm
foggydave

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Bonatti Grey
Just done the rear half shafts and used the Rocol Moly as it seemed to be the stickiest and also in my previous life as an enineer we used it all the time on machine assemblies.
The new shafts have transformed the ride. No longer the jerkiness of over-run etc. Also the general ride seems a lot tighter especially when going over the potholed roads of Leicester.
With regard to the gearbox/transfer box shaft. I can now hear a slight soft knock now and again when I start off. Its only very faint but its there. Now I assume it may be the out-put shaft on the gear box.
My question is. Is there plenty of warning when this shaft is going ie back lash and noise, or does it just go bang?
On a lot of posts re this problem it seems the shaft has just gone with very little warning.
Post #702794 24th Apr 2018 8:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Generally it fails instantly and without warning, most often when accelerating but not always. It is rare for there to be any advance warning of failure, knocks, bangs, clunks and backlash usually come from elsewhere in the driveline.

A worn clutch plate with loose springs can cause symptoms easily mistaken for worn splines.
Post #702827 24th Apr 2018 11:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1