↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2015MY Service Book
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Sphere

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Keswick Green
Wondering how many people do go independent straight away. I would be 100% sure mine would do a pucker job but not sure there wouldn't be a argument if and when it had to go back.

Just been quoted £450 for the first service by stratstone so thinking indi for me.
Post #497521 28th Jan 2016 7:56pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
On my 5th new Puma,, none of them have ever seen a main LR dealers for servicing work,,
and what few warranty item that have been needed, had not been a problem,,, California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #497531 28th Jan 2016 8:20pm
Ryderoo

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Sphere wrote:
Wondering how many people do go independent straight away. I would be 100% sure mine would do a pucker job but not sure there wouldn't be a argument if and when it had to go back.

Just been quoted £450 for the first service by stratstone so thinking indi for me.

I am contemplating Indie straight away, some have access to the JLR systems so they can update your online service record. Cheers Simon

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you

2015 Urban Truck 90 XS Santorini Black Hard Top - Reluctantly gone
2020 Discovery 5 Eiger Grey 3.0 SE
2021 Defender S D250 Santorini Black 110 Hard Top on the drive
Post #497544 28th Jan 2016 8:55pm
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Asked for an access code for my online service record. After getting into it, could see what's been done and by whom. Now know what service is due and when - you can find out what that service constitutes on your stealer's website if you wade through all the crap too (and gauge its true 'value').

Having tried to organise a service at Hunters of Derby (some confusion about my private plate meant that they couldn't book me in and were meant to ring me back and haven't - despite me leaving a reminder) they've now lost my business. Looked on a dealer in Stafford's service menu, and they wanted £100 more than Derby for the same service - total rip-off at the price in Derby!!

I've decided to go Indy. No effect on warranty (for what that's worth) or HP agreement - as long as the Indy is VAT registered and uses JLR approved components/fluids (I'll retain invoices). You can enter a non-LR service yourself on the record and note what was done (or your Indy can) - you don't need access via LR.

What a bunch of a**e JLR. Do you want my custom or not?

By the way, if JLR expect to sell high quality and expense merchandise, you'd think they'd make sure their bloody website links work, or am I just being chuffing picky?

Rant over for now.
Post #594825 20th Jan 2017 9:07pm
Jukathy

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Mine came with such a Service Book. Unfortunately dealer refuses to stamp... Neutral

Only digital updates in the last 2 yrs Sad

Juliet
Post #594848 20th Jan 2017 10:26pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I went Indy straight away with the Heritage. I've got an LR service book and just use that. Who says you need to use the online system? Is a buyer going to have access to it? Its just nonsense designed to tie you in to the dealership and empty your wallet.
Post #594860 20th Jan 2017 10:49pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Just logged in to my online service history for the defender only to find that the main dealer hasn't entered my first service which they carried out last May. You'd think for the prices they charge they could at least spend thirty seconds updating the owners online history. i telephoned to complain and they updated it whilst on the phone. Top tip - when you collect your vehicles after a service get them to check before you leave that they have filled in the online service history. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #597687 30th Jan 2017 6:56pm
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
My Defender has just had its first annual service (build date 5th Jan 16) & my indy garage has full access to LR service system; Ive just checked my OSH & its already on there & printable...oh & my indy garage was over £300 less than main dealer quoted price...& they used exactly the same bits! Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #597700 30th Jan 2017 7:13pm
Doc P

36000 mile (A) service at local indy (VAT registered) - £113 plus the oil I bought from Opie (which cost another £80 or so and I kept the spare 3 litres).

So, less than £200 for the same service JLR charge over £500 minimum for. The A service is basically an oil and filter change plus an inspection.

I updated my online service history myself.

I need a dealer paintwork check sometime I suppose. Other than that.....no brainer.
Post #599619 6th Feb 2017 6:20pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
I'm not keen on this "on-line" stuff either,..I've seen mine, it's very brief, & doesn't cover all of the stuff that's been done to Gracie since we took delivery of her new in 2013.
So, I do what I've always done,....I just keep every service receipt & every bit of paperwork pertaining to what has been done......which are the sort of "records" I look for, if I'm buying a S/H vehicle.
Pickles.
Post #599731 6th Feb 2017 10:58pm
Smifflie

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Service History
Just had the second service (B) with an "indi" near Oxford. Left with a copy of the LR service history showing first and second service history plus the original pre inspection with the initial LR franchise at 5 miles. Admitted it doesn't go into much detail but does suggest when the next service is due based on mileage between A & B service.
Post #602236 16th Feb 2017 1:34pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Pickles wrote:
I'm not keen on this "on-line" stuff either,..I've seen mine, it's very brief, & doesn't cover all of the stuff that's been done to Gracie since we took delivery of her new in 2013.
So, I do what I've always done,....I just keep every service receipt & every bit of paperwork pertaining to what has been done......which are the sort of "records" I look for, if I'm buying a S/H vehicle.
Pickles.

I agree, it's far better to just keep receipts, they have far more detail than a service book.

The online system is good in some ways, if your service book gets lost or stolen there is still a record of the service. Really all you need is a record somewhere to say the car has been maintained, but even a printed service book doesn't give details or all the work that's been done, any more than the online system does.

Mine for example has a full set of stamps in the book, from an indi, but i also have a bundle of receipts from various other repairs that have been carried out. The stamped book for example doesn't tell me the EGR valve was replaced in between services.
Post #602331 16th Feb 2017 7:16pm
Doc P

Just had my B service at the Indie.

Went to update the on-line record.

Website's vanished Shocked (you get the '404 - not found' error message)

Brilliant.
Post #701882 19th Apr 2018 6:06pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
This dealer paint check seems like a nonsense. I’ve never had it done but have had a few bits of paint work done under warranty. Does it only kick in after year 3?
Post #701888 19th Apr 2018 6:33pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
There's a 'paint' warranty for 3 years, then there is an 'anti corrosion' warranty for 6 years.

The 'paint' warranty is supposed to cover things like fading or flaking paint, rather than corrosion, but of course if you have blistering or flaking paint it's usually as a result of corrosion anyway or the failed paint finish results in corrosion if it wasn't. So in the first 3 years they're likely to repair things under the 'paint' warranty.

The 6 year 'anti corrosion' warranty is I think the part that needs the inspection. I suppose if you're an optimist it's so they don't get people presenting them with a complete rot box at 5 years and 11 months which needs thousands spending to bring it back up to spec, when it should have been presented much earlier and cost them much less to rectify. If you're a pessimist It's also a reason to get you into the dealerships so you're tempted by the newer cars in the show rooms and I suspect many people will just get their car serviced at the same time as the inspection at the dealer to 'save the hassle'. Don't forget it's the same warranty they use on all their models (actually it's the same warranty Rover used on their cars too!). Others will use an indy then get the inspection done at the dealer what the dealers charge for the inspection seems to vary. It's only a case of a technician giving it a 5 min look over. I once read that many manufacturers run small insignificant recall campaigns from time to time as they know they'll get an uplift in sales from people coming into the dealerships and seeing new cars they like, it far outweighs the cost of the recall.
Post #701896 19th Apr 2018 7:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123