↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anorak's Utility Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 57 <123 4 ... 555657>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Earlier in the week, I managed to pick up a brand new MTR and alloy to replace the crappy steel spare. Whilst the tyre matches, the alloy is a Boost and so doesn't match the Sawtooth road wheels. As it's a spare and will spend its' entire life under a cover, it's a compromise I can live with though. At least it can use the same wheel nuts if I do need it!

However, I came to mount it on the rear door this morning only to discover that I haven't got enough alloy wheel nuts in stock. Could have sworn I had three but can only find one so it's living in the back for now Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #697154 30th Mar 2018 10:32am
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:

I am feeling much better today though, so when my new steering wheel arrived and the sun was shining, it would have been rude not to fit it:

Click image to enlarge

I appreciate that fitting a standard steering wheel is one of the most boring mods imaginable but I'm really pleased with the result. It replaced a very nice black, leather-clad, Moto Lita Mk4 that the previous owner had probably spent a fortune on but it just didn't do it for me. With a standard wheel the steering is lighter, I can see all of the instruments and it just feel 'right' Laughing

10 points for the proper steering wheel! I’m sorry but I don’t get the desire to take a hardy off road truck and fit a saucer in place of the steering wheel...
Post #697325 30th Mar 2018 10:58pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
I've been ill for the last few days and not able to get outside and do much, so I brought a little task indoors. I spent a happy hour making neoprene gaskets for the rears of four NAS light plinths, ready for fitting to the rear later this week:

Click image to enlarge

The gaskets are formed from strips of 25mm wide self-adhesive tape and then carefully cut to the shape of the plinths using scissors and a scalpel. Very therapeutic.

I am feeling much better today though, so when my new steering wheel arrived and the sun was shining, it would have been rude not to fit it:

Click image to enlarge

I appreciate that fitting a standard steering wheel is one of the most boring mods imaginable but I'm really pleased with the result. It replaced a very nice black, leather-clad, Moto Lita Mk4 that the previous owner had probably spent a fortune on but it just didn't do it for me. With a standard wheel the steering is lighter, I can see all of the instruments and it just feel 'right' Laughing

I have found a replacement wheel like that, how does the centre section fit on the wheel? The old unit that's on, the centre badge pops off. Mine has seen better days has it not! but then again its done 124k! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #697437 31st Mar 2018 1:26pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
On mine the centre block with the LR oval just presses on. It’s rubbery and has locating lugs which slide in to a similarly rubbery socket on the wheel proper.
Post #697441 31st Mar 2018 1:35pm
LandRoverAnorak

Most of my time and effort at the moment is being spent on getting my 90 fit to advertise for sale but I did finally get around to fitting the spare wheel to the 110 today. I paid a visit to Challenger 4x4 to buy some alloy wheel nuts but they kindly gave me a couple for free! As mentioned above, the spare doesn't match the road wheels but the tyre does and it's hidden under a wheel cover:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #698630 4th Apr 2018 7:47pm
LandRoverAnorak

In between doing some bits on my 90 and dodging the endless showers, I managed to get a few bits done to my 110 today. Simple stuff first - a VW '99' variable wiper relay:

Click image to enlarge

Next up was a badge for the front grill. This was a bit of a pain as I first had to remove a couple of security stickers, which are obviously designed to be difficult to remove Rolling Eyes Still, a bit of heat, scraping and meths and they eventually gave in.

Click image to enlarge

Finally, I adapted a Tuff Lift Wolf spare wheel sling for the rear door:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

These things are great. They take a bit of faffing to set up properly but once done, make mounting the spare wheel much easier. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 13th Sep 2022 10:02am. Edited 3 times in total
Post #701043 15th Apr 2018 4:01pm
Ayrshirelandy

Scotland 
Looks good Thumbs Up 2015 Defender 110 XS Utility Santorini Black, sawtooth alloys, steps and so much more...........
Post #701044 15th Apr 2018 4:07pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Smile There's good weather on the cards for this week so I'll hopefully get a bit more time on it soon Rolling Eyes Darren

Post #701215 16th Apr 2018 7:48am
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Nice Thumbs Up I've got a spare wheel lifter thingy on it's way to me.. Thank you for showing how you fitted it. 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #701233 16th Apr 2018 9:40am
LandRoverAnorak

No problem Smile The only modification required is to drill a 16mm diameter hole centrally in the top plate to fit over the top wheel stud on the carrier. Darren

Post #701236 16th Apr 2018 10:00am
VVS210

United Kingdom 
As an alternative to drilling a new hole, could you turn the wheel mount upside down on the back door so the single bolt is at the bottom & the two are at the top & then use the two holes already drilled in the bracket?
Post #701239 16th Apr 2018 10:05am
LandRoverAnorak

They're not the same size or centres, I'm afraid. Darren

Post #701240 16th Apr 2018 10:37am
VVS210

United Kingdom 
The law of sod... Rolling Eyes
Post #701450 17th Apr 2018 8:19am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I quite like the idea of the Mantec wheel lifter thingy, but I wonder if it would work on my carrier which has the wheel about a foot higher from the ground than yours. I guess there's only one way to find out! Lifting the wheel on (a 255/85 MK2 on a Blindo rim) is a killer at the moment, especially for an ageing person like me. Big Cry

I notice that Mantec lists 2 types of lift, one with the metal bar (designed particularly for Mantec carriers) and one without which is designed for the standard door carrier. Does anyone know how the latter type attaches to the carrier? It doesn't have the bar.

I am wondering which would be most adaptable for my highly customised swing-away.
Post #701463 17th Apr 2018 10:20am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
With the prices Mantec charge would it not be easier to buy yourself a young manservant who can live in the truckbed and lift the tyre in and out (plus offer other assistance) as and when you need it? Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #701464 17th Apr 2018 10:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 57 <123 4 ... 555657>