↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Non-Defender aftermarket alarm question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Non-Defender aftermarket alarm question
SWMBO not long ago traded her Navara for a nearly-new L200. The L200 has a mystery button on the dash which clearly is an addition not OE, which incorporates an LED which occasionally lights up, but the button itself doesn't seem to do anything. We had speculated that it might have been something to do with a satnav or communications system.

Today I decided to investigate and found the the button is connected to an aftermarket alarm system installed on the vehicle, something labelled "MetaSystems EVO EasyCan Analog". Googling this shows it to be an aftermarket add-on system and the button is used for programming the system, as well as overriding it by entering a security code if necessary, a code which we don't have. It is not clear to me what, if any, security this unit provides over and above the standard Mitsubishi alarm and immobiliser.

There is a certain amount of information available online, the unit appears to be of Italian origin and much of the information is either in a foreign language or has been translated into largely-unintelligible English.

So knowing the huge diversity of knowledge amongst Def2 forum members, I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about these systems. Is it a good thing to have? What does it actually do? Given that we have absolutely no information about it, no codes, and there is no evidence it is actually doing anything at all, should we remove it or get it removed? For that matter, can it simply be removed, or will that immobilise the truck?

The vehicle was bought from an indy who knows nothing about the system and didn't know what the button was, and we don't know when or by whom it was fitted (enquiries continue).
Post #701176 15th Apr 2018 10:51pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Is it one of those systems which allows you to leave the engine running, remove the keys and lock the vehicle? 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #701202 16th Apr 2018 7:28am
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
I know nothing of your particular system but I might be able to help you on your route
We have a Tracker fitted on one of our vehicles by this company.
They are very good & certainly not your cheap crap.

I used to have a very high end car hifii business ( admittedly 25 years ago) so I have an understanding of the business.
These are only fitted by approved dealers & they are generally installed to a high standard.

There are a number of avenues you could explore; MetaTrak are very easy to speak to & helpful over the phone in my experience. Certainly on trackers they are on the ball

You could also find out who was the original supplying vehicle dealer & then look and see if there is a MetaTrak dealer near to them. Virtually any vehicle dealer will have access to a good local independent installer for aftermarket kit.

Or find your local MetaTrak dealer & go and see him...

What I wouldn’t do is try & remove it - you could end up in a real pickle.
Best of luck
Guy May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #701207 16th Apr 2018 7:47am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It is definitely not a Run Lock system (and since the truck has keyless entry and start - yuk - I don't know quite how Run Lock would work)!

Thanks, Chopperone, for the advice. It was my intention to contact the original supplying Mitsubishi dealer to try to ascertain if it was fitted by them at the original customer's request, or if they know who fitted it. In general it doesn't bother me that it is there, it has been completely benign sofar, but I am a little uneasy that i don't know what it does, under what conditions it does it, or what SWMBO should do if it does do something.

if nothing else it is good to hear a testimonial from 'the trade' that MetaSystems are top drawer.
Post #701222 16th Apr 2018 9:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1