↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Is it worth cleaning the intercooler?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Toby60

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Coniston Green
Too much oil in the inlet system, in particular the intercooler, of a Diesel engine could have catastrophic consequences as it could cause the engine to run to destruction.

A few years ago where I worked there was a truck that had a turbo failure causing excessive oil to enter the intercooler. On repair this was not cleaned out properly and when the engine was started and warmed up the oil mist became the fuel for the engine causing it to run to destruction.

In the past I noticed some oily deposits in the inlet hose to the intercooler on my 2002 TD5. As a precaution I cleaned the system in particular the intercooler and I made sure there was no residue cleaning agent left in it (paraffin) before refitting it. ------------------------------------------------
2002 TD5 90 HT County
Post #700717 14th Apr 2018 7:49am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
You need a lot of oil in the system for it to do that, basically your engine either needs to be knackered or the turbo needs to have failed.

My 200Tdi being fairly old (and having a crap design of crankcase breather) has a fair amount of oil residue in the intercooler, to the extent that going up the hairpins on Gatescarth Pass in the Lake District it drew a bit in and started smoking. But it has never caused any problems or damage and I clean it out when I do the timing belt so every 60k miles or so.

It can be alarming to the uninitiated when they first see it but unless it’s swimming in it don’t worry about it.
Post #700722 14th Apr 2018 7:56am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #700728 14th Apr 2018 8:45am
DC101

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Interesting stuff by all. Thanks.
Has made me think to clean the pipes to the side intercooler. They, too, are likely to be the same age as the motor, and whilst not split in anyway, has made me think about replacing them (silicone?) but again don’t wish to spend the cash unnecessarily. Can they be checked for function? Anything else to check whilst at it?

Cheers,

Robin
Post #700842 14th Apr 2018 8:45pm
DC101

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
For interest, cleaned the intercooler yesterday, flushing through twice with some petrol...
Some oily residue came out, as per photo.

Also cleaned through radiator and intercooler thins from outside, and changed coolant, so reckon it was worth the effort. Just wish I had the readies for an upgraded intercooler now.

Cheers

Click image to enlarge
Post #702792 24th Apr 2018 9:53am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I remembered this post when I was changing the rad on my 2010 Defender last night. So thought I'd flush the intercooler through with some brake cleaner, while it was out.

After 8 years and 85'000 miles there was a bit of black gunk came out of it, but very little if any oil. Ie. I mostly just got the brake cleaner out that I'd put in. There is a bit of oil sitting in the hose to the inlet manifold, but no more than you could soak up with a bit of rag. Most of the dirt that came out was probably just from when the injector seals were leaking. I doubt it was enough to make any noticeable difference to the performance.

So in line with my previous experience of doing the same on other cars unless you've had a major failure of a turbo or you're rebuilding a worn out engine it's not worth the effort in stripping it down specifically to flush the internals, unless you happen to be taking it out for access to something else. Even then while it won't do any harm it will unlikely make any perceivable difference to performance.

A dose of diesel intake cleaner once a year probably does the same thing.
Post #708919 24th May 2018 1:49pm
watergypsey

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
Think id rather go for a new larger intercooler rather than clean out ,be nice for the remap..
Post #709273 26th May 2018 9:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12