↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > It finally happened....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Shax

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Re: It finally happened....
Likeomg wrote:
well she's now 8 so the inevitable first breakdown was long overdue..

overtaking a truck on the m6 out of carlisle towards the lakes, into limp mode, temp gauge up and lots of steam pulled over immediately...

pulled over, refiled the coolant system pretty much lost 2+ litres... got about another mile (just to try and get somewhere safer) gauge went up again so left it, called the AA..

all guesses leading to the head gasket i suppose. Sad

cant see any leaks on any pipes.

Mine did the same a while back.. The rear red engine lifting eye was left on the block after the PDI, and that wore through the heater hose, and caused a shed load of coolant loss...
Worth looking out for, but probably not the cause... ... ,-------,
.. I [__][_]|__
.. I __ |"_|"__|
.. "(o)====(o)"
^^_-^-_^-^_^^^^^--^^^^
PAUL
G7ALW 14.200 USB
26FB458 / 27.275 SSB
Post #700109 11th Apr 2018 12:17am
sewin elwy

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
When she blew on the M6 I wonder did you notice the exhaust gas colour, if its the head it would be blowing steam like crazy at the speed that the coolant loss occurred ie. when filled you only made another mile!
Might be worth topping up again and running until warm and see what happens!
As an aside I would recommend treating the engine with slick 50. don't let anyone tell you all engine additives are crap this stuff is fantastic as it coats all surfaces in ptfe . look it up! I first came across it when flying and was told the chap who invented it just couldn't get any one to take it seriously so after treating his aircraft engine with it he drained it and flew around New York for 20 minutes without any oil! I can well believe this as since I've been using it, circa 1986, all my cars have had no engine problems at all. whilst working on a building project in the early 1990's i bought a second hand ex GPO Vauxhall combi van ( didn't want to stuff the LR) and after getting it serviced on one occasion I picked it up and drove it around for the day doing about 200 miles in total. As I got back towards home it started to feel a little unresponsive, sluggish to accelerate. The next morning I went out to see if I could see what was up! No water at all! On closer inspection the problem was simple the tw Twisted Evil t stealers when changing the coolant had drained it using the rad temp sensor as the bottom hose was a sod to get at and they hadn't refitted it properly-- hand tight only-- so under pressure it lost the lot! so I refitted the sensor topped up the coolant, water first to flush and check, and ran her up to temperature. Perfect! Kept the van for another two years with no problems. no other signs were evident and I wondered why the temp gauge hadn't gone sky high! when it was running at temperature I checked the in car gauge and it was only marginally lower than the night before. So verdict, we have never run a car without this wonderful stuff! Oh and it will improve your MPG to!
Post #700139 11th Apr 2018 8:33am
hornet

I agree, but use it for low cost vehicles you won't keep for long. Every coating reduces heat transfer-values. The stuff covers the root cause. It's better to investigate an fix the root cause Thumbs Up
Post #700165 11th Apr 2018 10:56am
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Looks like head gasket...?

Lots of pressure in the coolant tank before the engine is even warm?
Post #700255 11th Apr 2018 7:25pm
hornet

Definately! But you have to keep in mind: If it turns out that the gasket itself or torque of the screws have no issues, there might be a crack inside the head. Some cracks do not show when gead is under pressure and in hot water. So you have to go for a new or overhauled head.
Post #700366 12th Apr 2018 1:16pm
Likeomg

or the liner.....

think im gonna ship her off to alive hopefully next week to get sorted. Shocked

bit of a bummer, its my only mountain biking car Big Cry
Post #700369 12th Apr 2018 1:37pm
hornet

I can feel your pain, mine is in the workshop since tuesday this week an I can pick him up tomorrow night (with fingers crossed)!

So good luck! Thumbs Up
Post #700377 12th Apr 2018 2:25pm
Likeomg

quick update... head is off, gasket looked ok apparently

quick look at liners looked ok but further investigation happening monday.... doesn't sound too good Neutral
Post #703834 28th Apr 2018 6:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12