↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Discovery 3 a good buy or possible can of worms
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Projectblue

England 
I had a leggy D3 manual. Great car, never any issues. Ate discs and pads for fun. Replaced the electric park brake pack and it was faultless.

I also had a leggy D4 SDV6 which I have just sold and can honestly say its one car I have fallen for from day one. After some routine (but expensive) tlc it was faultless for 12 months before I sold it and went back to a Defender.

Pick carefully and they are actually a good vehicle. BUT. If you get a duffer they are a money pit. Mr. Green New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #699744 9th Apr 2018 10:00pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
What about a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 120? They're Disco 2 sized and a bit less fancy than a D3.
Post #700180 11th Apr 2018 12:21pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I drove a D3 at work for a while. Lovely vehicle to drive, bit tank-like but got about okay. Very capable off road. Very comfortable. But expensive to maintain and run compared to simpler vehicles, as would be expected. And not high on reliability scales, even within the Land Rover range.

Given the choice I'd go for a D2 that had been rebuilt onto a galvanised chassis over a D3.
Post #700195 11th Apr 2018 2:04pm
Matt90

United Kingdom 1990 Defender 90 2.5 TD HT Bronze Green
So last week we took the plunge....

Found the colour and spec we were after for not bad money, so far have done 300+ miles without a single fault (hopefully it remains this way) needs a couple of things like wheels need refurb, service, good wax oil underneath.
Planning a round trip to York tomorrow to see how a long journey is in it,

Team GREEN.....

Click image to enlarge
Post #705246 4th May 2018 4:11pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Good choice Thumbs Up Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #705254 4th May 2018 4:24pm
walfy

I had a D3, purchased at 4 months old from LR. Had it about 6 months and then went on a boys trip to Morrocco with it. Only issue, the Defender boys ahead of me, made the sand all soft and sinky. Hence me getting stuck a couple of times. Just glad there are no pics/film of it.
Anyway, it was faultless, even to the point of a return trip there the nexxt year. Then it had a trip over to Germany the next year. Never missed a beat.
In 6yrs of ownership it cost me a set of tyres, some pads. Disks only needed changing on the rear as a caliper stuck on. The only major repair it needed, a new steering column. This cost £1000, apparently there is a collar on the bottom that is a push fit. But the aftermarket warranty covered the bill so more than happy. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #705889 7th May 2018 8:50pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 
We have got a 2007 Full Fat Range Rover with 90k on it now, had it over 4 years and it’s been an amazing car to own to put it into perspective we also have a 16 plate C350 from new on air suspension, and it’s no where near the RR to drive! It’s my other half’s daily and when I get to drive it I absolutely love it!

Now in 4 years, it’s had the following stuff fail most common issues Whistle

- alternator failed LR say turbo off job but we did it on the drive in a couple of hours without removing it.
- thermostat housing cracked again a day in the garage with the spanner’s out.
- GPS aerial cracked, let water in and died - new one.
- Peltier unit failed on drivers seat, stripped down seat and replaced.
- EGR went erratic, the other was lazy - another day in the garage.
- Track rod ends & lower arms at 85k easy job
- It’s gone into limp home mode twice 1st left hand bank turbo hose split, then the right hand side a year later.
- One of the keys died - £2 battery and a hour with the old wrong iron and SDD
- Auto box sprung a slow leak through a electrical plug housing 50p part - £300 spent on filters and Fluids as you had to drop the gearbox sumo to get to the plug.
- Aux belt tensioner cracked (we noticed this when servicing it)
- New air bag (although this was punctured outside in by something chucked up off the road we think)

It’s had other stuff becaus it’s pampered like full set of idler pulleys, when the tensioner was done, transfer box fluid, brake fluid, coolant.. serviced to the letter including greasing stuff.

Get about 20k on a set of continentals and it does 21mpg and 31 on a long run. But it’s the first car the other half refuses to part with she absolutely loves it and as she clearly only sees the cost of parts not my labour she thinks it’s good value Neutral

We give it a full service every year with OEM parts including diff oils, diesel filter etc and it’s about £120 in parts.

I think the D3/D4/RR are great cars 👍 not defenders but still very very special and so capable she has shown me up a few times in the Defender the air suspension has some neat tricks up its sleve.

Click image to enlarge
Post #705909 7th May 2018 9:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12