↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Remap now, add inter cooler later?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
blimbug

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Bonatti Grey
Remap now, add inter cooler later?
It’s my birthday soon and I’m considering treating myself to a remap.

Trouble is, I’m sure that in future i may also consider a larger inter cooler and uprated turbo pipes etc.

Would a remap now be a waste of money? I.e. I’d need to get another remap to unleash more power once I’ve fitted a new intercooler etc, or do any remap companies offer the option to remap the remap (free of charge for example)?

I think I remember a company offering to remap remotely (BAS?). Would that be the preferred option?

What are people’s thoughts / opinions?

Thanks!
Post #698810 5th Apr 2018 8:20pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Quote:
Remap now, add inter cooler later?

Yes, IMO definitely. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #698813 5th Apr 2018 8:23pm
annette

Costa Rica 
Yes, Pete's remaps are great.
Treat yourself to an EGR removal and modify the VGT tubo to a fixed geometry one.. And then do the remap.
if there is anything left in the budget get the IIDtool. much more important than the intercooler.

Say hello to Pete from the nutter in Costa Rica. Fixing Land Rovers in rural Guanacaste
Post #698816 5th Apr 2018 8:30pm
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Had exactly this conversation with Pete from BAS. Get the remap now and intercooler later, was the crux of it. The remap will sense the lower temps automatically, nothing manual required. Thumbs Up
Post #698837 5th Apr 2018 9:07pm
walfy

Just to throw a spanner in your decision. I went the other way but only out of necessity. A couple of weeks out of warranty and my gen I/C split. So was forced to either fit a std gen or go aftermarket. So a call to BAS and a nice shiny I/C turned up with some nice hoses as well. And then when the slush fund had replenned itself I had a remap.
The I/C on it's own made no difference, or nothing that I could detect but with the remap it now pulls like a train 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #698991 6th Apr 2018 3:49pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Not sure what level of mapping you are thinking about but I went for the BAS 150 remote option back in December. I didn't bother with the I/C upgrade.

The remap has made a massive difference to the way the Defender drives and I can recommend it 100%.
I've also started using Millers Diesel Power Ecomax additive with each fill up of supermarket diesel. I think the engine runs quieter with the additive and does seem a little bit more responsive.

My thinking is to replace the I/C if/when the original falls apart.

From memory the insurance premium increase for the remap was less than £25 a year with Aviva, so no sting in the tail there.
Post #699026 6th Apr 2018 6:04pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
As I understand it, even with the BAS170 remap an intercooler isn't essential. However, as I wanted the remap for towing I was advised to have the uprated intercooler. Very pleased too!!

BAS offer upgrades at a small additional cost I believe, its on the website.

Also worth speaking to forum sponsor Empire Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #699069 6th Apr 2018 8:11pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I have the Alive 150 with standard IC.
I'm happy with it, but if I did go higher which I'm very unlikely to do so I would upgrade the IC.

Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #699075 6th Apr 2018 8:30pm
carrotbay

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hmm .. I did remap first and then intercooler. Either I just drove too hard or because of the standard intercooler I let the exhaust temps get too high and ended up warping the face of the manifold and the manifold to turbo gasket started leaking. Having been through a few gaskets I ended up having to get it skimmed flat again.

On the positive side, I’m now very good at removing the turbo and refitting Rolling Eyes
Post #699081 6th Apr 2018 9:33pm
Stu_XS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
walfy wrote:
Just to throw a spanner in your decision. I went the other way but only out of necessity. A couple of weeks out of warranty and my gen I/C split. So was forced to either fit a std gen or go aftermarket. So a call to BAS and a nice shiny I/C turned up with some nice hoses as well.

Just had exactly the same. Check Engine Light and Limp Mode when joining the motorway on a Friday morning to go to a meeting. Censored

Couldn't get hold of an aftermarket cooler on Saturday but Pete & the team got one to me by Tuesday. No new software for me, I had to PX a kidney for the the cooler and hoses.

Crazy to think you can blow the end tanks on the cooler with standard boost pressure.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Stu...

2013 Aintree Green 90 XS SW 2.2 Puma
Post #719124 22nd Jul 2018 4:32pm
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
So many manufacturers use combination plastic and aluminium intercoolers- but I find them hard to trust, you see so many of this type of failure. 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #719130 22nd Jul 2018 4:54pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
With my 300tdi I fitted an Alisport intercooler first - it made no real difference to drivability. Fuel pump optimisation a few weeks later (by a real expert) made a terrific difference.

My 2.4 tdci got a BAS remap when the EGR started to play up, so EGR delete, speed limiter removal and 160-165 bhp remap. 110 USW transformed.

Added BAS intercooler and Naka thingy intake kit (I have a RAI fitted) 2 years later and there is some difference to performance.

However in higher temperatures in Central Europe on Autobahns I feel more comfortable maintaining higher speeds for hours on end Whistle
Post #719133 22nd Jul 2018 5:31pm
walfy

Stu_XS wrote:
walfy wrote:
Just to throw a spanner in your decision. I went the other way but only out of necessity. A couple of weeks out of warranty and my gen I/C split. So was forced to either fit a std gen or go aftermarket. So a call to BAS and a nice shiny I/C turned up with some nice hoses as well.

Just had exactly the same. Check Engine Light and Limp Mode when joining the motorway on a Friday morning to go to a meeting. Censored

Couldn't get hold of an aftermarket cooler on Saturday but Pete & the team got one to me by Tuesday. No new software for me, I had to PX a kidney for the the cooler and hoses.

Crazy to think you can blow the end tanks on the cooler with standard boost pressure.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

How strange Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter I have a used IC that looks exactly like that. I should of thrown it away but it's sat in the corner of the garage. Think I might have a clean out this week and finally dispose of it 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #719135 22nd Jul 2018 6:08pm
SJM2018

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
I’ve been thinking about getting the BAS2 RRC for my 90 2.4.

I’m intending to get one of the BAS I/Cs, the EGR blanked and decat the exhaust once I’ve saved up the pennies. My understand is (not sure if this is accurate), that the remap can be adjusted to optimise the engine for additional modifications at a later point.

This won’t be for a while; I’m getting the chassis dinitrol-ed tomorrow (which is costing £520!) and need to replace the pinion seal on the rear diff.
Post #719163 22nd Jul 2018 8:45pm
Ihod

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Rioja Red
My experience.....for what its worth.

I had my 2.4 USW remapped - DIY thro’ BAS after 165k miles - serviced myself (no history prior to me), but spoke to BAS prior to purchase and they were very helpful thro’ the purchase and install process. No intercooler change, no hoses, no filter upgrade but absolutely transformed the van (admittedly had a shabby EGR but resolved with the remap - and then some).

I’ve just had the hoses, intercooler and filter upgraded through a third party on my replacement 2.2 (plus the BAS remap, also through the same third party) and just wasn’t happy with the result. At 40k miles it felt nothing like as good as the 2.4 with (by then) an extra 200k miles on it.

But.....resolved and remapped over a couple of emails with BAS, plus the backup files, and there is no question it feels like a different vehicle (in the best way possible). Certainly everything I’d hoped for (above just the remap) and enough to make me consider saving for the turbo technics upgrade offered by BAS (don’t tell Mrs H).

What I would say is speak to BAS. I had misgivings about my 2.4 on mileage and condition and had issues (with others) on my 2.2 but all resolved and certainly very happy with both.

No affiliation at all but a good experience on two vans. Ian

MY1998 300Tdi 90 Hard Top (Now Soft Top)
MY2015 110 XS SW - Sold
MY2008 110 County USW - Sold
MY1962 Series IIa Truck Cab - Sold
MY1994 300Tdi 90 Hard Top - Sold
MY2001 TD5 90 Truck Cab - Sold
Post #719191 22nd Jul 2018 10:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>