↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Jokes in Scotland not allowed?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
proloForêt

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Jokes in Scotland not allowed?
I would like very much to go to Scotland but see that you can not tell jokes there now without risk to go to jail, especially if you make joke about a person in Twitter.

For me I consider to not now make the tourism trip and I know many here who think bad of Scotland a bit more now.

Freedoms of speech and expression is very important. Many Scotland people died protecting this no?
Post #695920 24th Mar 2018 5:24pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Any race of burly ginger bearded men who wear skirts have got to have a sense of humour Whistle

However not to be outdone the English have Morris Men Rolling with laughter For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #695922 24th Mar 2018 5:30pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Why do you think there is a problem with 'free speech' in Scotland?
I do not know of any reason to think so.
Has there been any recent stories in France about this?
Post #695926 24th Mar 2018 5:46pm
proloForêt

Yes today they do a reportage on a man who make his girlfriend pug dog do a nazi salutes for joke to annoy her and show it is not alway cute. Not super funny but just joke. He is guilty last week in court and can maybe go to jail now for up to 5 years for “hate crimeâ€.

I never imagine this possibility for Scotland but the French TV ask if it is 1984 and use to question our president aim to stop ‘fake news’ by laws is bad idea because jokes can become illegal.
They interviewed French on streets and all said it put down the opinion of Scotland (usually high in France)
Post #695929 24th Mar 2018 5:51pm
proloForêt

gilarion wrote:
Any race of burly ginger bearded men who wear skirts have got to have a sense of humour Whistle

However not to be outdone the English have Morris Men Rolling with laughter

I just googled Morris Men and find both the sticks dancers and Morris car enthusiast a bit funny.
I like this character though...why not... Razz
After all we eat snails and frogs legs so can not critique bells on ankles!
Laughing
Post #695931 24th Mar 2018 5:55pm
BLACK LAB

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
The only joke in Scotland nowadays is its cult style government run by Jimmy Krankie and her crash helmet haircut . 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
2018 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE DYNAMIC
Post #696019 25th Mar 2018 9:16am
Lateralus

United States 
I was under the impression that people in the UK don't have freedom of speech or that their speech is very limited. You're not allowed to offend certain protected groups of people. Maybe that's wrong but it's the impression I get from news stories from time to time.

Having scotch-irish ancestry, I wonder how personal freedom in those countries have changed in the last 300 years from when my ancestors made their way to the US. The US has many flaws and made many mistakes, but I feel our founders took many great lessons from society's of the past and drafted laws that offer great personal freedom.
Post #696075 25th Mar 2018 4:23pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
My English master who was a Scot (Scottish rather than scotch) said that "American society has progressed from debauchery to depravity missing out the all important step of culture".
This is a good example of the Scottish sense of humour and shows that it is possible to make jokes in Scotland.
Post #696080 25th Mar 2018 4:51pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Lateralus wrote:
I was under the impression that people in the UK don't have freedom of speech or that their speech is very limited. You're not allowed to offend certain protected groups of people. Maybe that's wrong but it's the impression I get from news stories from time to time.

That's just called being polite, Whistle Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #696101 25th Mar 2018 7:07pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Lateralus wrote:

Having scotch-irish ancestry, I wonder how personal freedom in those countries have changed in the last 300 years from when my ancestors made their way to the US. The US has many flaws and made many mistakes, but I feel our founders took many great lessons from society's of the past and drafted laws that offer great personal freedom.

Of course we have free speech over here. However we don't allow hate speech and that protects everyone. That is surely a good thing?

There is a difference with our slander and libel laws over here. They are quite strict in comparison. You can say whatever you like but if it turns out to be a defamation of character and the affected can prove it in court then it will cost you. Both in fines which are usually very punitive plus both sides legal fees.
Also in this country there is definitely a stigma if you are proven to be a liar which will affect you professionally.
Take for example someone like Donald Trump, who according to factchecker told 2000+ lies in his first year, plus untold slanderous insults. He couldn't get away with that sh it over here. If he tried he end up broke in a minute.

Oh and it's Scots not scotch.
Post #698151 3rd Apr 2018 7:20am
Slideywindows

England 
American freedom means that if a President tells 2000 lies, the people get to know about it and can make a personal choice.

If someone insults another party, that person has the freedom to reply.

In England we are told to put up - and shut up.

That's not freedom.
Post #698178 3rd Apr 2018 9:31am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Edit
Post #698180 3rd Apr 2018 9:35am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
It's not that he trained a dog to perform a nazi salute that he was prosecuted for and neither was it done "as a joke". He used the dog to perform it's "salute" when he made racist and ant-semitic statements such as "gas the jews". he then posted a video of himself doing this on YouTube.

The video was produced, not as a joke, but as a way to promote racial and religious hatred (as interpreted by the court). That's not "freedom of speech" or "freedom of views". His defence, backed up by the leader of one of the extreme right wing hate groups in the UK, (which should tell you something about his associations) was that "it was just a joke". Some people would be stupid enough to accept that as a defence it would seem but not the courts in this case.

Bearing in mind that the OP was reporting this from a French perspective, there's an irony there that the French currently have very similar laws to the UK and are about to rubber stamp the German, much stricter, anti-hate and fake news legislation. It seems that when a UK court sentences someone under anti-hate laws it's because "they can't take a joke". It would seem that the way this has been reported in France as some sort of "prank gone wrong" would fall foul of the impending German legislation that the french are about to sign up to. It should also be noted that disseminating hate speech through the internet, as this guy was doing, was identified as a crime by the EU in 2002 and all member states were mandated to introduce a law to that effect. The act in this case would have, by law, been illegal in any EU state including France.

So, the OP is worried about going to Scotland on a holiday because he can't do something in Scotland that he would also be prosecuted for in France ?

As for US perspective, just because a christian, super rich, ruling elite class tell you that you live in a nonsecular, egalitarian, classless society with freedom of speech doesn't make it actually so. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #698210 3rd Apr 2018 12:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1