↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > 300 tdi BOOMING noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
yostumpy

300 tdi BOOMING noise
I remember this topic coming up on G-MACK's thread a while ago, don't think he ever got to the bottom of it. 'WALLACE' had started to 'boom' .. It sounded inside like an old transit van, that distinctive intake roar/clatter that they have, and on a run it was an intrusive loud booming nose, as if the straight thro exhaust centre section was in the cab. Well thought I'd take a look today, and noticed 2 of the flexi rubber support units for the air filter cradle were broken, so started it up, then I zipp tied them up tight and it was better, then it wasn't then it was!. So I gentle started to move the air filter box around and it stopped. I tracked it down to the underside diagonal support brace of the filter support bracket, having lost its bolt where it fixes to the block. So it was transmitting a metallic thrum up into the intake system via the bracket, and this resonance somehow transmitted thro the exhaust. Any way no more booming! just all the other noises left now!
Post #678390 14th Jan 2018 6:05pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
you can get the full bracket kit for the air box, Mine was held on by a cable tie, which really did bug the life out of me, Just shy for a 100 quid for the brackets and bushes, we were in business again for a sake of a 30 mins. My dads eyes watered when he saw me fit an ITG panel filter in afterwards Very Happy
Sounds a right giggle when it starts sucking in Very Happy Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #697443 31st Mar 2018 2:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1