↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Summer Holiday Booked - South of France in the Defender.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
We don't travel particularly lightly when ccamping but manage to get everything in the back or our SW with the seats in the back too, but it is tight!! We've had ours fully soundproofed and it is a big improvement, but it's my wife's everyday car and a keeper, so I thought worth while and don't regret it.

I would highly recommend a remap, for a far superior drive Whistle

Click image to enlarge
 James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #597996 31st Jan 2017 11:44am
John Fair

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Late post but hey!!!! A plastic gallon diesel tank. Full of course. You would be really really surprised at how short the range is when the fuel light comes on. Really surprised. Never again😬 Never really had any issues with noise oddly. It is what it is. Anyway how heavy is that stuff!! Never bothered with headlight stickies ever. Most modern cars just flick a lever and on my defender I just knock the dash adjusted down two clicks. I guess they all have this? ISTRC there is no such offence as not sticking them. The offence is having lights that dazzle. Two clicks doesn't dazzle hence no one ever flashes me. The must carry a breathalyser is also a funny one as whilst it is technically an offence the fine is nothing. Yup £0. So I don't bother with that either. It's illegal to have a speed detector but not for tom tom to warn of danger areas as long as it's a certain distance from said danger area (500mtr)? You will notice your tom tom does this automatically, I guess others makes must do the same? The only new thing I'm unsure of is some sort of emissions windscreen label if your going through/ into Paris. Some new thing and you get a fine if you don't have one. Something todo with banning certain categories if it's a smog day. I believe the official web site to purchase the disc was in French only with no translation available. Hopefully that has now been updated. Did I mention the gallon of spare diesel. Very important.
Spare diesel tin.
Spare diesel tin.
Also a spare diesel tin. Bow down
Post #602330 16th Feb 2017 6:16pm
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Do you really need that over here? We do have fuel stations on our autoroutes and lots of them. What struck me on my visit to the UK last year was the lack of petrol stations on the motorways and total absence of rest stops, let alone a bloody loo. Rolling Eyes

Perhaps next time I'll take a 5 gallon drum to pee in Laughing
Post #602340 16th Feb 2017 6:38pm
Froglaise

I'd agree with that...I'm pretty sure there are more stations over here than the UK, and most have at least one 24hr pump.

On the anti-pollution stickers, it's the AGE of the vehicle rather than any class that counts. Stupid really as 15yr old ecomobile will get penalised before a big new smoker. Get one though as I've seen police out pulling cars on non-display fines every day this week.
Post #602351 16th Feb 2017 7:03pm
John Fair

No you don't really need it just an acute awareness that a fully loaded 110 , sitting at autoroute speeds ,will do 20 yes 20 miles, with the light on, until it stops. Technically that's not true either though as in fact it will only do 15miles before the fuel running out surge kicks in and it will do the last 5miles ( more than the book says) in surge mode. The look on your wife's face as all this is happening might not be worth a fuel can to you but it is to me. 👀 Ask me how I know this and how I know some of the service areas are over 20 miles apart 😳😳 also wierd how this only happens on the longest ever uphill gradient know to mankind that seemed to go on for longer than the 20 miles indicated. 😜

Last edited by John Fair on 16th Feb 2017 9:32pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #602364 16th Feb 2017 7:21pm
Maris Widgeon

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I know the auto routes are fantastic, but we like to drive some of the D roads that are direct ,and let you see some great parts of France. This doesn't work if you need to get somewhere in a hurry, but if camping you can find some fantastic campsites in the quieter parts of France .
If going to the SOF then the Route Napoleon is a nice drive , after some of the Ardeche,Auverne Loire, etc.
I am just saying that it is a massive country and it can be relaxing to travel through whilst finding great little places off the beaten track.
Anyone heading that way this summer have a great break , and wave if you see a black 90 sometime in June , not sure which part yet, so much to see Thumbs Up

Nick
Post #602412 16th Feb 2017 9:10pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
John Fair wrote:
No you don't really need it just an acute awareness that a fully loaded 110 , sitting at autoroute speeds ,will do 20 yes 20 miles until it stops. Technically that's not true either though as in fact it will only do 15miles before the fuel running out surge kicks in and it will do the last 5miles ( more than the book says) in surge mode. The look on your wife's face as all this is happening might not be worth a fuel can to you but it is to me. 👀 Ask me how I know this and how I know some of the service areas are over 20 miles apart 😳😳 also wierd how this only happens on the longest ever uphill gradient know to mankind that seemed to go on for longer than the 20 miles indicated. 😜

And don't tell me you were told to fill up at the last petrol station, but you didn't want to stop! Rolling with laughter James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #602420 16th Feb 2017 9:19pm
John Fair

😂 I recall it was more of a "didn't you want to stop there?" No it's fine the fuel light isn't even on yet. 👈 Accompanied by the simultaneous comedic fuel light illuminating. It's fine love, the next stops only 20miles, it'll easy do that with the fuel light on. 🤔😱🤗😳😓😓😓😭😭
Post #602423 16th Feb 2017 9:29pm
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
We had an identical situation, coming back from the UK in January. Late into the night, raining, and we found ourselves coaxing the Landy along, as it stuttered its way to the next fuel stop. Screaming with delight as we pulled up to the pump.
Stupid, really! Embarassed 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MT´s,
Recaro CS´s, anorak, wellingtons
Post #602452 16th Feb 2017 10:22pm
Beefcake

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Hi

I’ve never driven in France before, but thinking about a camping holiday in south of France later this year. Is driving a modified UK defender a problem in France at all? Winch, roof rack, spots, RAI, side steps and chunkier cooper tyres.

Many thanks!
Post #693613 15th Mar 2018 8:08pm
justinp

United Kingdom 
I’ve no idea whether your modifications will attract attention from the Gendarmerie, but driving a Defender to the South of France will be fine.

You're legally aloud to cruise at 130kph in most autoroutes, but if you do, some speed cameras will trigger falsely as the defender is so tall. Now gone - 2012 2.2 110 DC XS
Post #693629 15th Mar 2018 9:07pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
We regularly drove my 200tdi / 100" bitsa c/w mud tyres, winch, snorkel etc and only stopped to be breathalysed, same for the last 9 years or so in the tdci 110, bigger wheels, snorkel, black windows, only really want to stop to have a look round with lots of smiles...!

have fun

Keith
Post #693644 15th Mar 2018 9:58pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Beefcake wrote:
Hi

I’ve never driven in France before, but thinking about a camping holiday in south of France later this year. Is driving a modified UK defender a problem in France at all? Winch, roof rack, spots, RAI, side steps and chunkier cooper tyres.

Many thanks!

Nope. None at all. I live here year round and we have a multitude of variously modified Defs. Gendarmes won't bother you unless they catch you doing something illegal. But even then, unless they check the vehicle and it's a safety issue, they won't care about winches etc. The obvious reason for being stopped is speeding, so that shouldn't be a worry then Rolling with laughter

What is interesting, is that as all UK paperwork is now on-line, last time I was stopped for a spot-check, one Gendarme told another not to bother with me as they had nothing to check against. Thumbs Up . But I'd still bring copies.

Obviously they have the funny laws for vests and breatherlisers, don't forget that stuff, you'll only be tempting fate. But be aware that they're really tough on drink driving now, especially in tourist areas. I stay teetotal, simply not worth the risk.

As mentioned in the thread, most important is preparing for driving on the wrong side of the road. I do it daily, not a big issue, the hassle is in carparks or motorway tolls. I now have a toll bleeper (godsend) but I'm not sure what you'd pay if you drive through with clobber on the roof. My DC has nothing on top so I can still use the Max 2m lanes, with guaranteed car pricing. Given a 110 with roofrack is comfortably taller, will it be confused with a LGV if done automatically. Ive heard some people say the pricing is based on bonnet height, others Roof height, so I have no idea. Might be worth checking or seeing if anyone posting above has a firm answer from experience. Big difference in price Shocked

But overall, leave the Def as is. Lots of love in France for overlanding. Enjoy. Be good to see a route and (eventually) some photos Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #693671 16th Mar 2018 6:15am
Beefcake

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Thank you all for the info and advice. The wife is already eyeing up potential destinations. Interesting point about the toll height limits. I’ll look into that! Cheers
Post #693678 16th Mar 2018 6:41am
Tdi4

Netherlands 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
We travel a lot in France. Absolute joy. But just a tip is you have a lot on you roof and/or a caravan look out at the toll booth and practice this sentence: je ne suis pas une poids lourd (i’m Not a truck Rolling with laughter ) or else you pay double. a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #693683 16th Mar 2018 7:07am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>